Speculation: New GM Candidates?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Why?

What is the upside to keeping him and losing him for nothing instead of getting something in return?

Still haven't figured this out.

My best guess is the people saying that don't want the GM (or Pat) to get "screwed" on a deal and make other GMs think they can walk all over our GM?

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Which puts even more pressure on the potential candidate to be immaculate.

"You are so good that we waited to be able to speak with you" type of golden Bruschi boy.

I don't like it.

On the other hand, it buys the GM more time.
If the GM isn't hired until after the trade deadline, he can't be criticized for not doing much and going along with the tank. The longer they wait to hire him, the longer they can tank without fans getting too unruly.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Remember how good of a precedent we set when we let Briere and Drury walk for nothing? Yeah, neither do I.

Not one person would of said Thank God we got something for Briere and Drury if we received a 4th rounder for them. Not one.

The mistake made by the organization was not even contemplating moving those pieces because of ownerships mandate of attempting to make playoffs.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
This whole process is starting to worry me...

We should not be waiting all season for a GM... I want my new GM to be familiar with our direction and our prospects personally before jumping into the trade deadline or even the draft let alone FA.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Not one person would of said Thank God we got something for Briere and Drury if we received a 4th rounder for them. Not one.

The mistake made by the organization was not even contemplating moving those pieces because of ownerships mandate of attempting to make playoffs.

Uh, we were a contender, of course we weren't going to trade our two best players for a 4th rounder. The situations aren't remotely comparable.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Uh, we were a contender, of course we weren't going to trade our two best players for a 4th rounder. The situations aren't remotely comparable.

I agree with you 100 percent. I didnt make the comparison.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I agree with you 100 percent. I didnt make the comparison.

My mistake, I didn't catch up on the thread properly. To be clear though I wouldn't really care if we didn't trade Miller if all we were offered was a 4th rounder, but I can't see it being like that. Either at least one team is genuinely interested in trading for him in which case they'd at least give up a 2nd or no team is interested in bringing in a veteran starter in the middle of this season.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
My mistake, I didn't catch up on the thread properly. To be clear though I wouldn't really care if we didn't trade Miller if all we were offered was a 4th rounder, but I can't see it being like that. Either at least one team is genuinely interested in trading for him in which case they'd at least give up a 2nd or no team is interested in bringing in a veteran starter in the middle of this seasoftn.

That is pretty much where im at. Im getting a reasonable asset back for him or I just keep him for the season

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
People that are upset we didn't get a return for Drury and Briere during a franchise best season are a curious bunch.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
People that are upset we didn't get a return for Drury and Briere during a franchise best season are a curious bunch.

Are saying we can't be mad we lost them for nothing? Or are you saying its crazy posters are saying they should have been traded during the season?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
My mistake, I didn't catch up on the thread properly. To be clear though I wouldn't really care if we didn't trade Miller if all we were offered was a 4th rounder, but I can't see it being like that. Either at least one team is genuinely interested in trading for him in which case they'd at least give up a 2nd or no team is interested in bringing in a veteran starter in the middle of this season.
I think (and hope) that to get decent value on Miller management will have to get very creative with conditionals. For instance with St. Louis we will have to take Halak or Elliot back in the deal and probably get a 2nd to go with it. Something like a conditional 1st in 2014 if St. Louis wins a cup and a conditional 2nd in 2015 if Miller re-signs with the team would make the trade much more lucrative.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Are saying we can't be mad we lost them for nothing? Or are you saying its crazy posters are saying they should have been traded during the season?
People can be mad but when people start bringing up those 2 players as if we let them walk for nothing like we did a few other players it doesn't make sense. They aren't comparable.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
This whole process is starting to worry me...

I don't see why.

It's the beginning of December. They're exerting all of their options and making due without a GM in the meantime. Even if they wait until the New Year to select a candidate, they'll have more than a month with the team before the trade deadline.

Take your time. Pick the right guy.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
We should not be waiting all season for a GM... I want my new GM to be familiar with our direction and our prospects personally before jumping into the trade deadline or even the draft let alone FA.

I'm sure candidates have done their own due diligence heading into interviews. You want to know how you wow an executive in an interview? You prepare. You know your stuff. I'm sure candidates have studied Buffalo's prospect pool and have a firm grasp on personnel.

Further, candidates coming in have their OWN direction that they'll want to go about things.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I'm not worried like Jame but I do feel at this point that Dudley must have been the guy they wanted.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
People can be mad but when people start bringing up those 2 players as if we let them walk for nothing like we did a few other players it doesn't make sense. They aren't comparable.

We did let them walk for nothing but why that happened is, I agree, a different situation than now.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Not that it was the right call at the time, that type of trade was almost unheard of back in 2007 (and still is), but after watching Briere, Suter and others go through the motions in the playoffs, I just don't want any player in their situation on my team in a 7 game series.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Or losing guys like Zhitnik and Satan for nothing before that....

Well we did reach game 7 of the ECF the season we let them go.... With Satan it was addition by subtraction. Zhitnik though should have been kept, we would have gotten Brayden Coburn out of it :sarcasm: (my god the Thrashers were a ****ing horrid organization..... Brayden Coburn for a old over the hill Alexei Zhitnik :shakehead )

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Well we did reach game 7 of the ECF the season we let them go.... With Satan it was addition by subtraction. Zhitnik though should have been kept, we would have gotten Brayden Coburn out of it :sarcasm: (my god the Thrashers were a ****ing horrid organization..... Brayden Coburn for a old over the hill Alexei Zhitnik :shakehead )

I wasn't saying trade Briere and Drury because they weren't in selling mode that year.

The Sabres missed the playoffs in 2003-04, the last season in Buffalo for Zhitnik & Satan. That was a huge missed opportunity. Although, that was a different situation, too as ownership wanted to try and make the playoffs for the additional revenue and they missed....

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future

I understand the bigger scope of what you're saying in regards to my comparison. I was looking at more of a micro, "we let two players walk for nothing, what precedent did we set?" I ignored the situation surrounding that particular season. That's my bad.

I think in the case of Miller, hindsight would be a difference maker and no one can predict that. Fans will be upset if he walks for nothing even if nothing was offered. Fans will be upset if we trade him for a 4th rounder even if that's all that was offered and we didn't want to lose him for nothing.

I don't see any of these situations playing out. Miller will tell whoever needs to know that he intends to stay or go. We'll get something favorable for his value if we trade him, but fans will still feel the sting of losing him. This has potential to be a lose-lose situation any way you slice it. Well, lose-lose if your name isn't Ryan Miller.

Ghost of Dale Hunter

Feb 27, 2003
Buffalo
Visit site

We should if they guy we want is not available. Period. Why settle for second best? Isn't that why we are here in the first place?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I don't see why.

It's the beginning of December. They're exerting all of their options and making due without a GM in the meantime. Even if they wait until the New Year to select a candidate, they'll have more than a month with the team before the trade deadline.

Take your time. Pick the right guy.

Im fine with taking your time... but that time isn't unlimited... a month is cool... 2 months is fine... if you wait til next year it means you have no idea what you are doing.

I didn't want them to hire the first guy they like... but lets not be ridiculous... going an entire season without a GM is just silly.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I think (and hope) that to get decent value on Miller management will have to get very creative with conditionals. For instance with St. Louis we will have to take Halak or Elliot back in the deal and probably get a 2nd to go with it. Something like a conditional 1st in 2014 if St. Louis wins a cup and a conditional 2nd in 2015 if Miller re-signs with the team would make the trade much more lucrative.

Who is going to get creative like that? We don't have a GM...:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad