Speculation: New GM Candidates?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Im fine with taking your time... but that time isn't unlimited... a month is cool... 2 months is fine... if you wait til next year it means you have no idea what you are doing.

I didn't want them to hire the first guy they like... but lets not be ridiculous... going an entire season without a GM is just silly.

The way I read the comment is that they would be willing to wait if a scenario played out where they want to hire a guy (let's say Botteril, for example) and his current team said that they would release him from his contract after the season.

Is it better to pass on a guy you really like because they can't start until after the season and then hire a guy you don't like as much that can start tomorrow?

Or, is there a current GM who's contract is expiring after the season that they might want.

When is Bowman's contract up in Chicago?

:sarcasm:

[Bowman is a joke because he re-upped with the Hawks in September]

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
The way I read the comment is that they would be willing to wait if a scenario played out where they want to hire a guy (let's say Botteril, for example) and his current team said that they would release him from his contract after the season.

That would be a dick ass move by the Pens..."yes, you can interview for this job... but if you are lucky to get it... we will jeopardize your chances by making you wait 6 months...."

has **** like that ever happened?

Is it better to pass on a guy you really like because they can't start until after the season and then hire a guy you don't like as much that can start tomorrow?

I don't know... it's like the BPA vs Need debate... how great is the difference between the two... they are largely interviewing "1st timers"... if the guy you have to wait for is the only guy that excites you... i guess you wait... but... meh, Lafontaine has no experience with this stuff anyways... so my faith in his judgement to wait for some specific guy... is limited

Or, is there a current GM who's contract is expiring after the season that they might want.

i guess... no, nevermind... it's still stupid. Being a GM isn't rocket science.

When is Bowman's contract up in Chicago?

every time this gets brought up I want to Hulk Smash things... :laugh:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That would be a dick ass move by the Pens..."yes, you can interview for this job... but if you are lucky to get it... we will jeopardize your chances by making you wait 6 months...."

has **** like that ever happened?

I'm not sure. But, Pat did say something to the effect of "if we have to wait to get the candidate we like..." and it sounded to me like a situation where they interview a guy, want him, he wants the job, but he can't start right away.

I don't know... it's like the BPA vs Need debate... how great is the difference between the two... they are largely interviewing "1st timers"... if the guy you have to wait for is the only guy that excites you... i guess you wait... but... meh, Lafontaine has no experience with this stuff anyways... so my faith in his judgement to wait for some specific guy... is limited

It will be interesting to see if that happens.

I wonder if they would get to do a presser with the GM-to-be before he goes back to work with his current club in that scenario.

:laugh:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I'm not sure. But, Pat did say something to the effect of "if we have to wait to get the candidate we like..." and it sounded to me like a situation where they interview a guy, want him, he wants the job, but he can't start right away.

It will be interesting to see if that happens.

I wonder if they would get to do a presser with the GM-to-be before he goes back to work with his current club in that scenario.

:laugh:

That may be Treliving based on Maloney's comment that Treliving is a big part of what they do in Phoenix and the organization would have to think long and hard about letting him go in-season.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I wasn't saying trade Briere and Drury because they weren't in selling mode that year.

The Sabres missed the playoffs in 2003-04, the last season in Buffalo for Zhitnik & Satan. That was a huge missed opportunity. Although, that was a different situation, too as ownership wanted to try and make the playoffs for the additional revenue and they missed....

Well I meant not keeping Satan and Zhitnik, we got rid of them once the CBA was signed. We didn't offer a deal to Zhitnik and we declined the qualifying option to Satan. We had a chance to keep his rights and then trade him but we refused. As for Zhitnik,a 33 year old dman who was eroding right between our eyes, I'm glad Darcy didnt spend 4 mil a year on him til he was 37. Remember that was after the rollback and with a very low cap limit. Zhitniks 4 million dollar cap hit was more then 10% of the upper cap limit that year (39 mil). That is the equivalent of someone making over 6.4 million cap hit this season. Giving the equivalent to that to Alexei Zhitnik, who was a #2/3 dman at best superstar money would have been insane. In fact in his last season he wasnt even the leading scorer among defenseman, he was behind Dmitri Kalinin. The Isles really had to overpay to get players to sign there during that era.

The Sabres were contending for a spot all season in 03-04. Remember, they had just acquired Danny Briere the year before at the deadline and then made a blockbuster trade to acquire Chris Drury. Moving Satan and Zhitnik at that time would have been a bad move. Golisano was not that cheap where he would cut payroll in a playoff race just to save money. Satan was addition by subtraction and was disliked in the locker room. He made our team better by leaving. Darcy felt it wasn't even worth keeping Satan and then trying to move him and cut ties as he was a negative player and caused a lot of ****. I look at that 05-06 roster, and I don't see one spot on the team where Satan would have been a better fit or an upgrade. Nor Zhitnik, aside from the catastrophic injuries occurred during the ECF, but under normal circumstances he would have been a bottom pairing type guy, and not for more then 10 % of the cap.

I am not upset that they didn't get anything for Satan and Zhitnik. The 05-07 period was probably the best 2 years in franchise history and that resulted from getting rid of 2 veterans who were mercurial and bad teammates. Yes they screwed up the co caps but we cannot blame them for not trying. They wanted Drury and were willing to match any offer. He was dead set on joining the rangers and the rest is history. It's not like they declined to try and re-sign none of the two but Drury didn't want to stay. I would have preferred to keep Briere anyway but unless he was willing to sign for a discount I am glad they didn't pay him what Philly did. He made 6.5 a year and had maybe 1 1/2 good seasons. He never came close to matching his success here.

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny
Bobby Mac on insider trading said it will be until new year or beyond before the sabres get a GM and he added director of amateur scouting from LA to the list

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Bobby Mac on insider trading said it will be until new year or beyond before the sabres get a GM and he added director of amateur scouting from LA to the list

TSN Insider Trading: Dec. 10

When will the Sabres name a new GM? Bob McKenzie says 6-10 names on PLF's list with the Sabres asking for permission to talk to the LAK's director of amateur scouting Michael Futa.

Last edited:

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
You guys WANT to pursue Futa. Trust me. The Kings are where they are because Futa has drafted talent like CRAZY and Mark Morris has developed that talent into quality NHLers. Those two are criminally underrated. But I hope Futa doesn't go. He's far too critical to the Kings. Futa does have GM experience, in Owen Sound of the OHL.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
MICHAEL FUTA CO-DIRECTOR OF AMATEUR SCOUTING

michael_futa.jpg

Michael Futa is in his sixth full season with the Kings as Director of Amateur Scouting. He was named to his current position on June 5, 2007.

Futa came to the Kings after five successful seasons as General Manager of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL), where he was named OHL Executive of the Year in 2005. The Attack advanced to the post-season in all five seasons with Futa at the helm, and high profile players like Trevor Lewis (17th overall, 2006 NHL Entry Draft) and Wayne Simmonds (second round, 61st overall, 2007 NHL Entry Draft) played for Owen Sound during Futa’s tenure there. Futa has also served as Director of Team Ontario’s Under-17 program for three seasons, and his Under-17 team won the gold medal at the Canada Games in 2007.

Prior to his time with the Attack, Futa served as both an Assistant Coach and Assistant General Manager with the Oshawa Generals (OHL) for two seasons (1999-01). The native of Toronto also served first as an Assistant Coach and then as a Head Coach of Toronto St. Michael’s Majors (OHL) from 1997-00. Prior to that, he served as Head Coach and General Manager of the St. Michael’s Buzzers (Provincial Junior “Aâ€).

Before turning to the coaching ranks, Futa played four seasons of professional hockey in Europe (two seasons in Germany and two seasons in Denmark). The former left wing also captained his team at York University, where he was also honored as the student who best combined academics and athletics at the school during his senior season.

Michael, 44 (10/28/67), lives in the greater Toronto-area. He has three daughters: Hunter and identical twins Carmen and Devon.

Last edited:

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny
@helenenothelen: Sabres asked Kings' permission to talk to Michael Futa, Kings' co-director of amateur scouting, about vacant Buffalo GM job. (more)

@helenenothelen: That request is under consideration by the Kings, a club executive said.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Patty gonna interview every assistant GM in the league? not that I'm complaining about a thorough search but jebus

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Sabres are interviewing me sometime after January. A few years ago I traded for every first round pick in a draft while playing EHM and they must have gotten wind of it recently.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Patty gonna interview every assistant GM in the league? not that I'm complaining about a thorough search but jebus

I hope he interviews no less than 20-30 different guys. And if it takes 3-6 months to accomplish, so be it. Find the guy, find the right guy. Don't rush just because of a few vocal impatient fans.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Interview as many as you want/need...

Just pick up the pace, Patty.

And teams need to stop **** blocking...how the hell you gonna deny one of your own in getting a GM job? ...

Get'r done

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I hope he interviews no less than 20-30 different guys. And if it takes 3-6 months to accomplish, so be it. Find the guy, find the right guy. Don't rush just because of a few vocal impatient fans.

patty is just using pegs superfan-ness pick the brains of everyone in the NHL... before he names himself GM :sarcasm:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Interview as many as you want/need...

Just pick up the pace, Patty.

And teams need to stop **** blocking...how the hell you gonna deny one of your own in getting a GM job? ...

Get'r done

the more interviews they do, the more blocking we will see... its one thing when your guy is one of 3 or 4 candidates, its another thing when the new guy is clearly trying to pick the brains of everyone in the NHL

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
the more interviews they do, the more blocking we will see... its one thing when your guy is one of 3 or 4 candidates, its another thing when the new guy is clearly trying to pick the brains of everyone in the NHL

Realistically....what are you going to be able to "pick" from other teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad