Speculation: New GM Candidates?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Like I said many times, the longer they wait, the more undeserved pressure they put on whomever they end up hiring. Find your guy and hone in on him...

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
that's a really big minus:laugh:

I remember reading (which may mean I'm remembering wrong :amazed: ) that Lombardi wanted to trade down and get Hickey but couldn't work a deal to get the guy he wanted. I liked the reasoning behind it (I'm a big fan of getting the guy you want if you really want him, don't worry too much about draft position value) but obviously the evaluation and development was the problem!

The Kings, of course, are an interesting example of building without a high volume of Top 5 picks.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
TSN Insider Trading: Dec. 10

When will the Sabres name a new GM? Bob McKenzie says 6-10 names on PLF's list with the Sabres asking for permission to talk to the LAK's director of amateur scouting Michael Futa.

During his report on NHL Live, McKenzie also intimated that Pat may not make a hiring until before Olympics, saying that he wants to exhaust all of his options since he realizes he "has only one chance at getting it right". McKenzie also thinks that Pat is definitely targeting someone who has only been an Assistant GM and will be open to growing together with Pat and the management/scouting dept. because Pat will want to have input on personnel decisions. The thinking, according to McKenzie, is that bringing in a former GM from another team (i.e. Burke, etc.) would be less favorable because that person may already have an established philosophy or M.O. that wouldn't be as open to input from others inside the Sabres' management group.

That's all fine by me - Pat's a smart guy and someone I'd like to see have a hand in player/roster decisions.

Ghost of Dale Hunter

Feb 27, 2003
Buffalo
Visit site
I wonder if Patty is hoping to pry Don Maloney or his assistant Brad Treliving out of Phoenix. Patty stated in his interview he would wait and Phoenix has said they would be hesitant to let the assistant go, especially in season, maybe Phoenix keeps the assistant and Maloney comes here. Perhaps even for compensation. Probably a long shot, but an interesting consideration. Their work in Phoenix has been excellent.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
McKenzie also thinks that Pat is definitely targeting someone who has only been an Assistant GM and will be open to growing together with Pat and the management/scouting dept. because Pat will want to have input on personnel decisions. The thinking, according to McKenzie, is that bringing in a former GM from another team (i.e. Burke, etc.) would be less favorable because that person may already have an established philosophy or M.O. that wouldn't be as open to input from others inside the Sabres' management group.

This still sounds like a set up for a power struggle.

With Pat's ability at communication and working with people I'm sure that would be mitigated.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I remember reading (which may mean I'm remembering wrong :amazed: ) that Lombardi wanted to trade down and get Hickey but couldn't work a deal to get the guy he wanted. I liked the reasoning behind it (I'm a big fan of getting the guy you want if you really want him, don't worry too much about draft position value) but obviously the evaluation and development was the problem!

The Kings, of course, are an interesting example of building without a high volume of Top 5 picks.
Not true,

5th overall Brayden Schenn
2nd overall Drew Doughty
4th overall Thomas Hickey

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny
18. The Buffalo Sabres search for a new GM continues to widen with permission requested of Mike Futa, the Kings co-director of amateur scouting. It wouldn't be a surprise if former Maple Leafs GM John Ferguson, now the Sharks director of pro scouting, is another interviewee.

19. The Sabres are pretty quiet about all this, but one of the interesting developments is Pat LaFontaine isn't the only new face to be part of the process. Joe Battista, the former coach of Penn State's club hockey program, is among those asking for permission and sitting in on interviews. In an administrative position, he helped secure Sabres owner Terry Pegula's $88-million donation to the school and recently left to become vice-president of hockey-related businesses of Pegula's management team. Clearly, Pegula trusts him.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Not true,

5th overall Brayden Schenn
2nd overall Drew Doughty
4th overall Thomas Hickey

You can also throw in JMFJ, but that goes to Chain's point that top picks beget talent. Schenn and JMFJ helped them land Richards and Carter, two huge pieces to that team.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
The Sabres are pretty quiet about all this, but one of the interesting developments is Pat LaFontaine isn't the only new face to be part of the process. Joe Battista, the former coach of Penn State's club hockey program, is among those asking for permission and sitting in on interviews.
I started a thread on Battista a few weeks ago, though I don't think anyone really noticed. Internal dynamics are tricky, but knowing Joe, and knowing Pat L. by reputation, this is hardly surprising. Joe knows how to evaluate talent. I can't stress that enough. And he will absolutely know how to help select the right man for the job.

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny
I started a thread on Battista a few weeks ago, though I don't think anyone really noticed. Internal dynamics are tricky, but knowing Joe, and knowing Pat L. by reputation, this is hardly surprising. Joe knows how to evaluate talent. I can't stress that enough. And he will absolutely know how to help select the right man for the job.

Great to hear :)

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

The Kings, of course, are an interesting example of building without a high volume of Top 5 picks.[/

Huh ??????

2009 # 5
2008 #2
2007 #4
2006 #11, #17
2005 #11
2004 #11
2003 #13

They had 3 top 5 picks and 3 others at 11.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I wonder if Patty is hoping to pry Don Maloney or his assistant Brad Treliving out of Phoenix. Patty stated in his interview he would wait and Phoenix has said they would be hesitant to let the assistant go, especially in season, maybe Phoenix keeps the assistant and Maloney comes here. Perhaps even for compensation. Probably a long shot, but an interesting consideration. Their work in Phoenix has been excellent.

As I recall when the new ownership was officially approved in Phoenix, both Maloney and Tippet got votes of confidence and each expressed full satisfaction with staying in the Coyotes organization. If either were to have left, I would think it would have happened during the league-operated days when no owner was in place.

18. The Buffalo Sabres search for a new GM continues to widen with permission requested of Mike Futa, the Kings co-director of amateur scouting. It wouldn't be a surprise if former Maple Leafs GM John Ferguson, now the Sharks director of pro scouting, is another interviewee.

I really hope JFJ isn't on Pat's list - his tenure running the Leafs was a mess and did more harm to their roster than good IIRC.

19. The Sabres are pretty quiet about all this, but one of the interesting developments is Pat LaFontaine isn't the only new face to be part of the process. Joe Battista, the former coach of Penn State's club hockey program, is among those asking for permission and sitting in on interviews. In an administrative position, he helped secure Sabres owner Terry Pegula's $88-million donation to the school and recently left to become vice-president of hockey-related businesses of Pegula's management team. Clearly, Pegula trusts him.

I read the blurbs about Battista previously but didn't realize he's probably helping Pat in the GM recruiting/interviewing. It begs the question, with a coaching background and an apparent influence on a GM selection, if Battista might be considered a coaching candidate...?

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Many around the league view the job as very appealing, as team owner Terry Pegula is expected to spend to the cap if that's what it takes to make the Sabres a winner, and a couple of solid pieces are in place with LaFontaine and coach Ted Nolan.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/12/10...n--turris-felt-adrenaline-in-fight-with-flyer

Granted, it may only be Garrioch's personal impression but I do recall Dreger and McKenzie alluding to a similar perception that potential GMs will be eager to work in a situation where the Owner doesn't place any financial constraints...and, as TP said himself, doesn't threaten job security if a few mistakes are made.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/12/10...n--turris-felt-adrenaline-in-fight-with-flyer

Granted, it may only be Garrioch's personal impression but I do recall Dreger and McKenzie alluding to a similar perception that potential GMs will be eager to work in a situation where the Owner doesn't place any financial constraints...and, as TP said himself, doesn't threaten job security if a few mistakes are made.

TP is on record saying he wants his GM to make mistakes. I wish I could put my name in this GM hat. Sure, I have no experience but I bet I could spend his money and make a few mistakes!

Splintered Sherwood

Oct 25, 2013
I really hope JFJ isn't on Pat's list - his tenure running the Leafs was a mess and did more harm to their roster than good IIRC.

Sure, the Ferguson years for the Laffs were nothing short of a debacle - Raycroft for Rask! - but, I do think his hands were significantly tied, so its hard to say just what kind of a GM Ferguson really is.

Leafs ownership at the time, or any other time for that matter, would never sign off on doing what the Sabres are doing right now, buying the equivalent of an old Sherman tank and loading it up with a season's worth of diesel so that it could lay waist to any sort of playoff ambitions.

I think Ferguson wanted to rebuild the roster by tanking, but couldn't. Couple in the fact that the Laffs were somewhat crappy drafters for years and that there was little that he had to work with, this may have resulted in Ferguson's misguided idea of giving no movement clauses to the likes of Bryan McCabe and Darcy Tucker.

This isn't to exonerate him, its really just to say that I don't think you can judge Ferguson entirely on what he did with those comedians that masquerade as a hockey team in Toronto. Given that, I agree, there are better candidates than JFJ.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
MICHAEL FUTA CO-DIRECTOR OF AMATEUR SCOUTING

michael_futa.jpg

Michael, 44 (10/28/67), lives in the greater Toronto-area. He has three daughters: Hunter and identical twins Carmen and Devon.

That certainly has to help kindle Futa's interest in the Buffalo position....

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
This isn't to exonerate him, its really just to say that I don't think you can judge Ferguson entirely on what he did with those comedians that masquerade as a hockey team in Toronto.

Maybe so - but the same defense could be used for Neil Smith's viability as an option, given the way he used Paramount's wealth to buy his way to a winning roster in the 90's.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Huh ??????

2009 # 5
2008 #2
2007 #4
2006 #11, #17
2005 #11
2004 #11
2003 #13

They had 3 top 5 picks and 3 others at 11.

Hickey was a bust who never played a game for them nor got anything in return and... I admit that I completely forgot about Schenn so I blew that. Regardless, the point I meant was that teams can become competitive without a high volume of Top 5 picks contributing to the organization, as you pointed out.

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
Maybe so - but the same defense could be used for Neil Smith's viability as an option, given the way he used Paramount's wealth to buy his way to a winning roster in the 90's.

I hear Darcy Regier is available. He did ok with a lot of constraints on him.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
So recapping the resumes of the 6 reported candidates:

Mike Futa , Los Angeles, 44, Director of Amateur Scouting
6 yrs - Director Of Amateur Scouting (Los Angeles, NHL)
5 yrs - General Manager (Owen Sound, OHL)
2 yrs - Asst. Coach / Asst. GM (Oshawa, OHL)
3 yrs - Asst. Coach / Head Coach (Toronto, OHL)

Tim Murray, Ottawa, 50, Asst. General Manager
7 yrs - Asst. General Manager (Ottawa, NHL)
2 yrs - Director of Player Personnel (Rangers, NHL)
3 yrs - Director of Player Personnel (Anaheim, NHL)
8 yrs - Director of Amateur Scouting (Florida, NHL)
1 yr - Amateur Scout (Detroit, NHL)

Jim Benning, Boston, 50, Asst. General Manager
7 yrs - Asst. General Manager (Boston, NHL)
1 yr - Director of Player Personnel (Boston, NHL)
8 yrs - Director of Amateur Scouting (Buffalo, NHL)
4 yrs - Asst. Director of Amateur Scouting (Buffalo, NHL)

Brad Treliving, Phoenix, 44, Asst. General Manager
7 yrs - Asst. General Manager (Phoenix, NHL)
1 yr - General Manager (San Antonio, AHL)
7 yrs - President, Central Hockey League
5 yrs. Vice-President, Western Prof. Hockey League

Paul Fenton, Nashville, 54, Asst. General Manager
8 yrs - Asst. General Manager (Nashville, NHL)
8 yrs - Director of Player Personnel (Nashville, NHL)
2 yrs - Chief Professional Scout (Anaheim, NHL)
3 yrs - Scout (Anaheim, NHL)

Jason Botterill, Pittsburgh, 37, Asst. General Manager
5 yrs - Asst. General Manager (Pittsburgh, NHL)
2 yrs - Director of Hockey Administration (Pittsburgh, NHL)
1 yr - NHL Central Scouting Registry
1 yr - Scout (Dallas, NHL)

If McKenzie thinks the list is possibly up to 10, I'm curious who else Pat is considering....there have been some speculations about Nieuwendyk and Shanahan. I also would be surprised, given the stand Pat made with the Islanders when Wang fired Neil Smith (and the history the two have from when Smith brought Pat to the Rangers), if Pat isn't at least thinking of talking to Smith, even it's in some secondary / advisory role.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
There are a lot of good candidates in that list Sabretip, thanks for putting it together.

I still think I want one of the current Asst. GM's.

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
If McKenzie thinks the list is possibly up to 10, I'm curious who else Pat is considering....there have been some speculations about Nieuwendyk and Shanahan. I also would be surprised, given the stand Pat made with the Islanders when Wang fired Neil Smith (and the history the two have from when Smith brought Pat to the Rangers), if Pat isn't at least thinking of talking to Smith, even it's in some secondary / advisory role.

Loiselle is another name that has been rumored to be on the list but no official confirmation on that as far as I know.

The longer the wait, the more I think Pat's got his eye on someone like Treliving who's needed by their organization too much to afford letting them leave mid-season.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY

McKenzie has also said that people have told him that Pegula is also a very hands off "shut up and take my money" type of owner and doesn't have any of the say in what the team does in regards to acquiring players contrary to what a lot of posters around here want to think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad