Speculation: New GM Candidates?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
I gotta believe if a guy is being pursued by both teams, he'd be more interested in the Buffalo job.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Why? Not necessarily disagreeing, but curious to what your rationale is for this thinking?

Buffalo has a couple more futures to build on and a more solid organization and ownership group. Plus, I think it'd be easier working for LaFontaine than Burkie. Both jobs have their positives and negatives, and Calgary isn't terrible, I just think Buffalo would be the better work environment and opportunity at this time

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Why? Not necessarily disagreeing, but curious to what your rationale is for this thinking?

Buffalo has a young core of players with about 10 players picked 2008-2011 + strong draft classes in 2012 and 2013+ 9 1st & 2nd round picks in 2014 and 2015 and 3 other players if moved could add to those 9 picks.

Calgary rebuild will be a longer process. Buffalo has had a headd start.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I gotta believe if a guy is being pursued by both teams, he'd be more interested in the Buffalo job.

Anyone who interviewed with Buffalo that gets offered the Calgary job would immediately take it.

Anyone who interviewed with Buffalo is currently like 1 of 721 candidates. There are 30 GM gigs, the minute one of our targets is offered the Calgary job, he's gone.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Anyone who interviewed with Buffalo that gets offered the Calgary job would immediately take it.

Anyone who interviewed with Buffalo is currently like 1 of 721 candidates. There are 30 GM gigs, the minute one of our targets is offered the Calgary job, he's gone.

This makes the most sense to me...

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo

Obviously. I'm not saying someone would turn down the GM job for a maybe in Buffalo. I'm talking about if the guy was offered the GM position from both teams, the guy would more likely chose to go to Buffalo than Calgary

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Claude Loiselle seems obvious for Calgary. Maybe he already knew, which is why we arent talking to him.

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
Obviously. I'm not saying someone would turn down the GM job for a maybe in Buffalo. I'm talking about if the guy was offered the GM position from both teams, the guy would more likely chose to go to Buffalo than Calgary

We need to make an offer to make that decision even possible for someone. Will be curious to see if Patty rushes or takes the risk of staying on the slow, deliberate path now.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Does the firing of Feaster in Calgary and Burke's search increase the timetable for the new hire?

If anything, it would shorten it so PLF won't lose his guy to Burke and the Flames.

Josh Rimer ‏@joshrimerhockey

Hearing Buffalo Sabres are speeding up process to hire their GM after what happened today with Flames change.

Burke just said several times that (paraphrasing): There is another team doing a GM search (Buffalo), that is the reason we did this now and time is of the essence, especially if there is overlap in the GM searches, and I'll know later today if there is overlap. He also stated that he has already gotten permission to speak to one candidate and is seeking additional permissions.

Time for Patty to make a move.

@DarrenDreger

Burke is expected to act as interim GM until new guy is hired. Poulin, Loiselle, Futa, Benning, Treliving all have cred as candidates...

Nieuwendyk also mentioned

All guys who the Sabres have had interest in are bolded.

I imagine Poulin, Loiselle (Leaf connection) and Nieuwendyk are front runners for the job.

Unlike Pat, who seems open-minded to accepting recommendations from others on who might be a good fit in Buffalo, I suspect that Burke will approach his search based on people he has personal history/experience with - which is why I think the Poulin/Loiselle/Nieuwendyk speculation makes more sense.

Buffalo has a couple more futures to build on and a more solid organization and ownership group. Plus, I think it'd be easier working for LaFontaine than Burkie. Both jobs have their positives and negatives, and Calgary isn't terrible, I just think Buffalo would be the better work environment and opportunity at this time

Agree 1000% - Burke is known for his loyalty to his employees but just as much for his headstrong, bullish and abrasive way of doing things. He's likely a much more overbearing, controlling type to work under than Pat, who is very modest and humble and eager to hear new ideas in his learning process. If some an assistant Gm has aspirations about putting his stamp on a franchise and testing out ideas of his own, it seems obvious that Buffalo under LaFontaine/Pegula is much more ready to embrace new ideas than Calgary under Burke is.

According to the poll on TSN's homepage, the majority of fans think that Buffalo's new GM will have a harder go of it, than the new Calgary GM.

Polls are often tilted -especially on a Canadian website like TSN's - by fans. I wouldn't be surprised if Flames' fans voted heavily to point away from their beleaguered franchise being in the state it is.

I would not be surprised if Burke decides he's going to take the GM job himself.

I would not be surprised if Burke's presence is more of a deterrent to prospective candidates than the rumored deterrent Nolan's presence is. Burke may have to fill the role on an "interim basis" until he finds someone who won't reject him.

I could see any of his former assistants in Toronto have interest, and Nieuwendyk may feel some alumni pride in wanting to resurrect a franchise he once played for and won a Cup with, similar to how LaFontaine was motivated to rescue the Sabres.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Claude Loiselle seems obvious for Calgary. Maybe he already knew, which is why we arent talking to him.

I don't know - Dreger already reported that Dallas has granted permission for Burke to talk to Nieuwendyk. That suggests he may be their first choice and possibly motivated by the PR that such a hire may bring with Flames' fans who remember Nieuwendyk's playing career in Calgary.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

I'd imagine he's a candidate, but there are already tweets that the Leafs were not the team that granted permission. Though he hasn't been connected to our search, I wouldn't be surprised if Vancouver's Laurence Gilman is a guy that Burke wants to speak with. I do wonder if Futa is on Calgary's radar, as well. This all seems a bit odd that we've been searching for weeks--and Burke and Calgary knew this--but as soon as Futa is mentioned, they can Feaster and essentially say they're competing with another team to get a new GM.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I don't know - Dreger already reported that Dallas has granted permission for Burke to talk to Nieuwendyk. That suggests he may be their first choice and possibly motivated by the PR that such a hire may bring with Flames' fans who remember Nieuwendyk's playing career in Calgary.
I would like this to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad