League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I find Carlson's rating fair for him at this point in his career?
I do not. Guy played more minutes than like everyone, and carried the team to the playoffs.

There aren’t 25-30 (or whatever it was) D-men better than him.

I feel like goalies have become like RBs in the NFL in some aspects. Nobody wants to pay a massive number.
Not long term. I don’t think the AAV is the issue. It’s the term. G’s are so hit and miss. 8yrs is far too long. Even 5 is hard.

2-3yrs? Yeah, the Rags G should get 11m a year. But not for 5+ yrs?

Agreed, and I think it's for a similar reason -- they very often lack shelf life. In the NHL where contracts are guaranteed, it's even more crucial. If a great goalie wants top money for 4 years, let's talk. But just like every other position, when the time comes for them to get paid, they want the term, too. So it's not the dollar figure teams are balking at, in my opinion. It's that they want the huge money AND max term, which I'm not sure has ever really worked out super great for the teams in question.
Yeah. What he said!

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I feel like goalies have become like RBs in the NFL in some aspects. Nobody wants to pay a massive number.

Starting goalies play less and less now. Decade ago Caps had Holtby playing 73 games and finishing with .923 SV% and 2.22 GAA. That's over 89% of the regular season. Jonathan Quick played 72 games that season.

Alexander Georgiev and Juuse Saros were the workhorses last season, playing 63 and 64 games but they were both ass last season. Georgiev didn't even have .900 SV%, he finished with .897. Connor Hellebuyck was the elite workhorse and he played 60 games. That's 'only' 73% of the regular season. But at this stage you really can't compare Hellebuyck to Swayman. Hellebuyck is the rare elite goalie that can plays a lot of games these days and not have his numbers nosedive, whereas Swayman has mostly played soft-minutes split with Ullmark and his career-high is 44 games. How much his numbers are going to drop when he takes the jump from 44 games to ~60 games? It's likely that his numbers will dive some, because now that he's the starting goalie, he mostly plays the toughest match-up's too, and his backup gets the Sharks, Blackhawks and teams like that who Swayman has feasted against. 2 of his 3 shutouts last season were against Sharks and Blackhawks.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Marshall

A Mahoney guy
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
It's time for HF's most neutrally-felt about prediction game!

BUY, SELL or LEAN

Simple rules: if you like a team, you're buying. Not so much? Sell.

Lean is a compromise between holding and buying/selling - you're holding on the team, but you must lean one way. YOU ONLY GET TWO LEANS, and you can use them on whichever teams you like. So that's 30 Buy or Sells and two (2) leans.

Teams presented in divisional format because that's the way it worked out.

Pacific Division
Anaheim Ducks -
Calgary Flames -
Edmonton Oilers -
Los Angeles Kings -
San Jose Sharks -
Seattle Kraken -
Vancouver Canucks -
Vegas Golden Knights -

Central Division
Chicago Black Hawks -
Colorado Avalanche -
Dallas Stars -
Minnesota Wild -
Nashville Predators -
St. Louis Blues -
Utah Yeti -
Winnipeg Jets -

Atlantic Division
Boston Bruins -
Buffalo Sabres -
Detroit Red Wings -
Florida Panthers -
Montréal Canadiens -
Ottawa Senators -
Tampa Bay Lightning -
Toronto Maple Leafs -

Metropolitan Division
Carolina Hurricanes -
Columbus Blue Jackets -
New Jersey Devils -
New York Islanders -
New York Rongos -
Philadelphia Flyers -
Pittsburgh Penguins -
Washington Capitals -

(Mods: I only posted this in the League thrad because it's...about the league. If I should have made it a separate thrad, please feel free to branch it off to its own. Then feel free to name it something game showy)

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It's time for HF's most neutrally-felt about prediction game!

BUY, SELL or LEAN

Simple rules: if you like a team, you're buying. Not so much? Sell.

Lean is a compromise between holding and buying/selling - you're holding on the team, but you must lean one way. YOU ONLY GET TWO LEANS, and you can use them on whichever teams you like. So that's 30 Buy or Sells and two (2) leans.

Teams presented in divisional format because that's the way it worked out.

Pacific Division
Anaheim Ducks -
Calgary Flames -
Edmonton Oilers -
Los Angeles Kings -
San Jose Sharks -
Seattle Kraken -
Vancouver Canucks -
Vegas Golden Knights -

Central Division
Chicago Black Hawks -
Colorado Avalanche -
Dallas Stars -
Minnesota Wild -
Nashville Predators -
St. Louis Blues -
Utah Yeti -
Winnipeg Jets -

Atlantic Division
Boston Bruins -
Buffalo Sabres -
Detroit Red Wings -
Florida Panthers -
Montréal Canadiens -
Ottawa Senators -
Tampa Bay Lightning -
Toronto Maple Leafs -

Metropolitan Division
Carolina Hurricanes -
Columbus Blue Jackets -
New Jersey Devils -
New York Islanders -
New York Rongos -
Philadelphia Flyers -
Pittsburgh Penguins -
Washington Capitals -

(Mods: I only posted this in the League thrad because it's...about the league. If I should have made it a separate thrad, please feel free to branch it off to its own. Then feel free to name it something game showy)

Metro:
BUY: NYR, NJ, WSH, PHI
SELL: CAR, PIT, NYI, CBJ

Atlantic:
BUY: TOR, FLA
SELL: MTL, OTT, DET, BUF
LEAN SELL: BOS
LEAN BUY: TB

Central:
BUY: COL, DAL, NSH, UTA
SELL: CHI, MIN, STL, WPG

Pacific: