Proposal: Necas <CAR> for Chytil and Robertson <NYR>

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Kakko has great puck control, puck handling and skating, however he doesnt have the speed or physicality. He really doesnt hit or has any aggression.

He is extremely unlucky with his shooting. Hits the crossbar or post more than any other player I have seen but Kakko is extremely disappointing with his offensive contribution. Improved a lot defensively but it has come at a cost to his offense.
How can he both be a great skater and lack speed ?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Per NST, Necas' 5v5 production dropped from 1.85 per 60 to 1.78, despite his most common linemate going from Svechnikov to Drury. He was the undisputed best player on his line for much of the season.

His PP production was literally cut in half (26 to 13). He not only lost ice time in volume 1st unit to 2nd unit, but the quality of teammates decreased as well.

The Rangers are a weird fit for him, if his primary motivation is to get paid. The path to 1st unit PP time is non-existant there. Look at Lafreniere.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The proposal is a bit on the embarrassing side. Chytil is a very good player but has never produced near Necas' level and he has real potential career ending injury issues. Robertson so far is the definition of a failed prospect. He has size and tools--skating, passing, shooting are all really good but he's never been able to put things together and is very mistake prone which is why he hasn't gotten into an NHL game after three years in the AHL.

All that said I think Necas is a very good and a very dangerous player but to me there was no question that on the Canes Aho and Guentzel were their most dangerous players in the playoffs probably followed by Svechnikov and Jarvis. It wasn't that Necas wasn't effective as a player but he was more along for the ride than those other four. He's a lot better than what the thread starter offered here but he doesn't appear to me to be the kind of player that is going to push us much beyond where we are now or at least not with the actual package we would have to give up to get him.

From my perspective the No. 1 guy I would be aiming at (if he actually is available) is Brady Tkachuk. He's really going to cost though.

Reactions: pld459666

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
My $0.02 as a Canes fan. The 4th OA pick for Necas (extended)+ would have been a coup for the Canes. Based on what I read, I do think CLB was considering it, but if Necas wouldn't extend (and I don't blame him), the deal is dead in the water. I have no insight beyond the pundits, but I would have to believe it was Necas + probably our 1st round pick (if not more).

Necas, is coming off a down year but a lot of it is due to deployment. His 5v5 scoring isn't that far off from last year, but last year he played mostly with Svech, KK and Aho. This year, Drury, KK (who stunk this year) and Bunting. Last year he spent a lot of time on PP1, this year it was PP2. That's what drove his numbers down and I can see why he might be upset in a contract year.

I have said all along that if he get's traded, particularly without an extension, the return will disappoint many of my fellow Canes fans, which is why I'd rather keep him.

Still, with Chytil's injuries and Robinson being of little to no value to Carolina, this is a poor offer.

Waited for a reply from you. One of the most level headed fans of teams I'm not a fan of.

Great post.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
You seriosuly asking this question? Great skater doesn't necessarily mean quick.
Typically if you’re described as a strong skater you’d have good speed along w it . Strange to describe someone as a great skater then follow it up by saying they are slow ..but alright my Scottish expert …Who are some examples of players that are great skaters but slow speed wise ?

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Typically if you’re described as a strong skater you’d have good speed along w it . Strange to describe someone as a great skater then follow it up by saying they are slow ..but alright my Scottish expert …Who are some examples of players that are great skaters but slow speed wise ?
What about some elite players like Zetterberg and Jagr? Jagr started of as a fairly quick skater then put on the weight and changed his game to be more stick handling and power. This is where he became elite.

The Sedins were great skaters but not exactly quick. Joe Thornton wasnt particularly fast.

There is a lot of top players who flourish by using their skating, strength and puck control because they dont have the speed.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Man you went hyperbole quick lol.. Yall made your bed. Go lay in it. No one wants or cares about chicklet, the guy who flamed out to russia already, the other untouchables.

Whats ironic is you mightve won a cup with eichel instead of a garbage can of prospects no one wants anymore. That's the joke. But mikka is the answer at 1c...

Don't blame fans of other teams for poking fun at the ridiculous stance Rangers fans overvalued prospects. Yall did it and they flamed out. Yell at the mirror not me.
LOL, nobody's yelling.

Every single fanbase overvalues their prospects. As far as hyberbole goes, go peek at your board during those discussions. You had posters saying It Starts with Fox And Laf +.

Speaking of those flamed out prospects, one of them (Laf) scored more ES points than any forward on your team this season and the other (Schneider) solidified himself as a top-4 RHD. You want to mock the Rangers? They've at least made it to the ECF twice in the last 3 years while your Sabres haven't seen the playoffs since 2011.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
LOL, nobody's yelling.

Every single fanbase overvalues their prospects. As far as hyberbole goes, go peek at your board during those discussions. You had posters saying It Starts with Fox And Laf +.

Speaking of those flamed out prospects, one of them (Laf) scored more ES points than any forward on your team this season and the other (Schneider) solidified himself as a top-4 RHD. You want to mock the Rangers? They've at least made it to the ECF twice in the last 3 years while your Sabres haven't seen the playoffs since 2011.
A player on a better team with better players scored more points and subsequently made the playoffs?!?! Color me surprised! In other news water is sometimes wet...good job my dude.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I'm going to call bullshit.

Either that or both the Columbus and Carolina GMs are incredibly stupid and should be fired

Columbus for being dumb enough to offer 4th, and Carolina for being dumb enough not to take it and add whatever else it took to get it done.
4th overall for a top 6 players doesn't seem all that out of place though I wonder if Columbus views itself as a rebuilder still.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
A known top 4 pick has never been traded in the salary cap era.
wasn't one of the Sedin's picks traded? I thought that was within the salary cap. Not that it really matters who cares what has and hasn't been traded before usually because a team picking in the top 4 desperately needs young talent while Columbus has mostly just been a disappointing team after grabbing some big free agents and already have some big young talent currently so they aren't exactly pushing to be young atm.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's a good bet that the Canes were adding to him, but logically he was the primary piece in the talks.

Without knowing what the rest of the deal looked like we can't say that Necas was worth anywhere close to the 4th.

For instance, there were also rumors about Necas in talks with Buffalo for the 11th pick, and Columbus was supposedly in talks to move down from 4th to 12th. So perhaps Necas was to be had for the 12th pick from Columbus, after they moved down.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Kakko has great puck control, puck handling and skating, however he doesnt have the speed or physicality. He really doesnt hit or has any aggression.

He is extremely unlucky with his shooting. Hits the crossbar or post more than any other player I have seen but Kakko is extremely disappointing with his offensive contribution. Improved a lot defensively but it has come at a cost to his offense.
Kakko isn’t great at anything. Although, I was once told he had “elite edge work” by a poster here. He's a 3rd line 40 point winger who brings no physicality and doesn’t play special teams.

Unlucky at shooting or has a poor shot? Big difference.

Reactions: lilphildub

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Without knowing what the rest of the deal looked like we can't say that Necas was worth anywhere close to the 4th.

For instance, there were also rumors about Necas in talks with Buffalo for the 11th pick, and Columbus was supposedly in talks to move down from 4th to 12th. So perhaps Necas was to be had for the 12th pick from Columbus, after they moved down.

You’re free to believe what you want to believe. They’re just rumors. When two of the big insiders in the league report something, particularly Friedman, that’s hard to dismiss in my eyes. It’s an eyebrow raising one in the historical context, but the GM connection to the player is quite unique and that makes it plausible enough. Obviously, others disagree.

Tbh, I only brought that up to make the distinction between the valuations of Necas and Chytil more impactful. I don’t think he’ll be worth a comparable asset to another team later in his window team control.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You’re free to believe what you want to believe. They’re just rumors. When two of the big insiders in the league report something, particularly Friedman, that’s hard to dismiss in my eyes.

Did Friedman or Seravalli say it was a 1 for 1 deal for the 4th OA?

I don't think I'm dismissing either by saying it must have been a more complicated deal, likely with a lesser pick heading to Carolina. I think I'm filling in the gap where they don't say what the deal was.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Did Friedman or Seravalli say it was a 1 for 1 deal for the 4th OA?

I don't think I'm dismissing either by saying it must have been a more complicated deal, likely with a lesser pick heading to Carolina. I think I'm filling in the gap where they don't say what the deal was.

I’d expect the rumor to have been for a lesser pick. Both referenced #4 specifically. That’s (a substantial trade down in an era without them) a big part of a potential deal to leave out of the conversation.

To me, it’s more logical that the Canes were adding to Necas themselves to bridge the gap. They had a 1st and that would have allowed the Jackets to still draft someone on Night 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tryamw and Chrispy

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
How many young top 6 RFAs been traded for a single draft pick in the salary cap era?
In terms of recent RFAs I'd put similar to Necas.

Trouba to NYR, Reinhart to Fla, Fiala to LAK, Debrincat (to Detroit). (and tbh I'd take every single one of those guys at the time over their trade over current Necas)

all centered around mid/late 1st+ secondary piece such as Pionk, Levi, Faber, or Kubalik.

Marty Necas simply isn't of that caliber, especially if he wants a hefty contract.

• Haha
Reactions: Goodman68

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Necas is easily better than Chytil and doesn’t carry the huge injury concerns. Head injuries are on the short list of injuries that could end a career these days.

Robertson has practically no trade value. Especially not when you’re asking another team to take a significant downgrade on their roster. He’s also waiver eligible and hasn’t proven he can play in the league. We aren’t deep on prospect D, yet he’s down the list.

Even if you added a first, Carolina still says no. You don’t take on injury risk like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad