Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -neither elect arbitration (page 16)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I don’t get this.
Not shocked
Zadorov and Lindholm had deadlines of July 1 - letting them go past day 1 and you almost certainly lose them.
Oh well, not Swayman's concern.
Swayman’s deadline is still quite far in the future.
Who said it wasn't?
You’re saying Sweeney didn’t value signing Swayman as much as signing free agents. I don’t understand that leap?
First day to sign Swayman was 230 days. I'd say getting 2 guys done in a couple hours compared to not getting Swayman done in 5,520 hours suggest a difference in the GM's attention, focus and prioritizing. I don't understand the leap to think that Swayman has been the number 1 priority of the team this offseason. Perhaps you can explain your evidence for thinking it was.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Not shocked

Oh well, not Swayman's concern.

Who said it wasn't?

First day to sign Swayman was 230 days. I'd say getting 2 guys done in a couple hours compared to not getting Swayman done in 5,520 hours suggest a difference in the GM's attention, focus and prioritizing. I don't understand the leap to think that Swayman has been the number 1 priority of the team this offseason. Perhaps you can explain your evidence for thinking it was.
Why would it have to be the first thing you do? You have control over the player. And Swayman has to agree to terms as well. What if they offered 8x$7M in February and he turned it down? Or what if they offered 8x$7.75M in June? Does Sweeney have the responsibility of giving Swayman whatever he asks for?

They traded Ullmark. They left more than enough cap space to fit any kind of reasonable extension. How did he not “prioritize” or “focus”? They’re negotiating. And negotiations typically need deadlines to get done.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Sweeney felt it was more important to overpay Lindholm and Zadorov over getting his franchise goalie signed. You can agree or disagree with that strategy, but it's not Swayman's fault that Sweeney made that decision, and it's not being greedy.
Just out of curiosity, what's the max you'd go on Swayman's contract right now in terms of AAV.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Why would it have to be the first thing you do? You have control over the player. And Swayman has to agree to terms as well. What if they offered 8x$7M in February and he turned it down? Or what if they offered 8x$7.75M in June? Does Sweeney have the responsibility of giving Swayman whatever he asks for?

They traded Ullmark. They left more than enough cap space to fit any kind of reasonable extension. How did he not “prioritize” or “focus”? They’re negotiating. And negotiations typically need deadlines to get done.

Because it is the single most important thing for the success of the Bruins

Reactions: Dr Quincy

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

I don’t really care how long it’s taking, but it’s an absurd to say negotiations take a long time and need deadlines. Lindholm/zadorov negotiations took days /hours and their deadline is technically the same as swaymans.

Two straight offseasons they’ve been in tough negotiations with swayman.

Reactions: TCB

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I don’t really care how long it’s taking, but it’s an absurd to say negotiations take a long time and need deadlines. Lindholm/zadorov negotiations took days /hours and their deadline is technically the same as swaymans.

Two straight offseasons they’ve been in tough negotiations with swayman.
It’s not absurd. This is said about negotiations everywhere not just in sports. Lindholm/Zadorov are completely different time horizons.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
It’s not absurd. This is said about negotiations everywhere not just in sports. Lindholm/Zadorov are completely different time horizons.
They were more than willing to overpay for both in money and years. They should be willing to do the same with Swayman, zero questions asked

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I dislike headline editors sometimes.

"Jeremy Swayman still has 'a lot of confidence' in getting deal done with Bruins."

I get it that the word "still" can mean different things depending on what emphasis is placed on the word - a lot, or none. But since we read headlines not hear them, why introduce the vagueness of whether the word should be emphasized or not (I know, I know...... clickety clickety, clickety)?

I read the article and the is nothing but positivity - including quotes from Sway.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
What’s overpay? What if Swayman’s ask is 8x$10M right now?
This is exactly why the deal isn't done. People are harping on Sweeney for having so much time to sign him and not getting it done, but it takes two to tango. Swayman has no reason to sign before camp, especially when another team could offer sheet him to a big money deal. He's just keeping his options open and trying to maximize his cap. If Sweeney's objective was sign Sway to whatever deal he wants then it'd be done by now but he's clearly trying to negotiate to keep the cap hit as manageable as possible.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
This is exactly why the deal isn't done. People are harping on Sweeney for having so much time to sign him and not getting it done, but it takes two to tango. Swayman has no reason to sign before camp, especially when another team could offer sheet him to a big money deal. He's just keeping his options open and trying to maximize his cap. If Sweeney's objective was sign Sway to whatever deal he wants then it'd be done by now but he's clearly trying to negotiate to keep the cap hit as manageable as possible.
As he should, Sway has proven nothing that warrants a 10m a year contract.

If that is what he wants I hope some bottom feeder offers that. Get on DS all we want but don't bend over for this kid.

6.5-7m for 3 years is my take. Im not giving an unproven goalie a long term high stakes deal.

Just my humble opinion on the situation.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Just out of curiosity, what's the max you'd go on Swayman's contract right now in terms of AAV.
You didn’t ask me, but I have been saying for months the Bruins are going to have to pay $9M AAV. I just don’t know if it will be 6, 7, or 8 years. I reason that Tuukaa’s big extension would be $9.5M at today’s cap, it was deal that was considered fair at the time and in hindsight, and Tuukaa was a little more proven at that time.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
you'd seriously sign a goalie whose career high in starts is 44 to a 10mil AAV contract?
Yes and not waste it elsewhere. We do expect him to be the guy and an all star no?

You don't have 10 mil to sign him.
Carry 22 not 23 and go with Bussi over the overpaid Korpisalo. Team had 25 mil to start free agency not my fault they spent the extra July 1 and with the horrendous Ullmark deal

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
What will the top goalies be paid 4 years from now? Pay a little extra now. Better than paying a crappy back up 3 mil next three years. Put the money where it should go
You do not pay just to satisfy a certain fan base , like you and neglect other areas. Sorry I, am a fan and believe you will be a one of the best but prove you can handle the load.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
What will the top goalies be paid 4 years from now? Pay a little extra now. Better than paying a crappy back up 3 mil next three years. Put the money where it should go
4 years from now if he is a top goalie then he deserves the big contract.

He could be a back up in 4 years as well, who knows. Realistically that's most likely not going to be the case.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Huh? Do you really think high end UFAs have a deadline to sign them later than July 2?

No that’s not even remotely close to what I said wtf hahaha.

I have no idea how you read what i said and even remotely came close to that assumption.

You said negotiations usually need deadlines in order to get things done and I was pointing out how that is an absurd take. As the overwhelming vast majority of deals (of all types) happen well before any deadline.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad