Proposal: Necas <CAR> for Chytil and Robertson <NYR>

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Calling BS after being proven wrong is a strange take.

The trade didn’t go through because Necas wouldn’t sign with the Blue Jackets.

~35:00

Per Seravalli, Necas wouldn't sign an extension in Columbus and the deal (for 4OA) died as a result.

If Necas gets traded for anything close to 4th overall I'm happy to eat my words.

But every historical comp suggests he isn't worth anything close to that.

Waddell knows Necas really well obviously. His skating and ability to make plays at that high pace is quite rare. Fans/pundits just see his statline, but that was surpressed by PP usage. If Waddell sees him as a PPG type in a different situation, it's not unfathomable. The contract presumably would have been long-term starting at 25.
Even if you think he's a PPG guy that's still ridiculous.

Alex Debrincat actually WAS a ppg guy, and a 40+ goal guy. He didn't get 4th overall.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If Necas gets traded for anything close to 4th overall I'm happy to eat my words.

But every historical comp suggests he isn't worth anything close to that.
Dude scored 71 points and led a top team in scoring as a 22 year old. His numbers dropped off this year because the Canes reconfigured their PP units.

Reactions: Goodman68

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Dude scored 71 points and led a top team in scoring as a 22 year old. His numbers dropped off this year because the Canes reconfigured their PP units.
71 points still isn't worth anything close to 4th overall. (Also that was his age 24 season).

Alex Debrincat is the peak of draft pick trades recently.

He had multiple 40 goal seasons under his belt at the age of 24, and paced at 42 goals and 82 points in the 2 years prior to being traded. He recieved 7th overall+2nd+3rd in what was regarded as a very weak draft class

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
71 points still isn't worth anything close to 4th overall. (Also that was his age 24 season).
He was 23/24, my mistake.
Alex Debrincat is the peak of draft pick trades recently.

He had multiple 40 goal seasons under his belt at the age of 24, and paced at 42 goals and 82 points in the 2 years prior to being traded. He recieved 7th overall+2nd+3rd in what was regarded as a very weak draft class
Debrincat is a complimentary player compared to Necas. I would value Necas a fair amount higher.

4th overall seems about right for a player of his skillset.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
He was 23/24, my mistake.

Debrincat is a complimentary player compared to Necas. I would value Necas a fair amount higher.

4th overall seems about right for a player of his skillset.
Wild levels of delusion.

Not once in the salary cap era has a pick in the top 4 been traded. But sure, the first time is gonna be for Marty f***ing Necas.

You can spin it any way you want.

At the end of the day we're talking about a 25 year old winger who put up 53 points last year.

And he isn't even good defensively

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Wild levels of delusion.

Not once in the salary cap era has a pick in the top 4 been traded. But sure, the first time is gonna be for Marty f***ing Necas.

You can spin it any way you want.

At the end of the day we're talking about a 25 year old winger who put up 53 points last year.

And he isn't even good defensively
I look beyond stat watching when evaluating players. Seems like you don't have a good understanding of the player's skillset.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Robertson has barely any value here. Chytil's too much of a unknown status when it comes to health. Right now he's healthy so you count him going into next season, but his situational awareness is so bad that you almost expect something to happen. It's bad value for Carolina. I don't see them making the trade with us without actually giving something that makes them better right now or in the future. But it doesn't really matter because there's a different because holding out for a big offer and holding out for a fair offer. This is neither.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I look beyond stat watching when evaluating players. Seems like you don't have a good understanding of the player's skillset.
If Marty Necas was actually worth a top 4 pick surely you'd be more than happy to give him 10+ million dollars a year in carolina?

His skillset is not top 4 pick worthy. You can dress it up with "oh you just don't see it" but at the end of the day, stats matter, and teams aren't paying top 4 picks for defensively poor, sub PPG wingers

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Even if the 4th was involved. It most likely had a big piece with Necas coming back. It most likely wasn't going to be a 4th straight up for Necas to sign. Nobody believes that.

Reactions: Chan790

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If Marty Necas was actually worth a top 4 pick surely you'd be more than happy to give him 10+ million dollars a year in carolina?
I'm not a hurricanes fan. And no, a 4th overall pick is not worth the same as a $10M AAV player, you're overrating draft picks.
His skillset is not top 4 pick worthy. You can dress it up with "oh you just don't see it" but at the end of the day, stats matter, and teams aren't paying top 4 picks for defensively poor, sub PPG wingers
Well it sounds like they were about to, so seems like you're the delusional one here.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I'm not a hurricanes fan. And no, a 4th overall pick is not worth the same as a $10M AAV player, you're overrating draft picks.

Well it sounds like they were about to, so seems like you're the delusional one here.
They weren't and they didn't.

Canes fans are going to be sorely disappointed with the return of a necas trade if one occurs.

I'd recommend taking a look at some comparable trades. Trouba, Reinhart, Fiala, Debrincat (to detroit) spring to mind.

Money talks. How much would you be willing to pay necas to keep him?

Last edited:

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Even if the 4th was involved. It most likely had a big piece with Necas coming back. It most likely wasn't going to be a 4th straight up for Necas to sign. Nobody believes that.
Carolina fans want to believe it because their own front office put it out there lol

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
The deal didn't happen because it was contingent on Lindstrom not being there at fourth. He was, so Columbus didn't make a trade. He was their pick. I cannot believe I'm about to type this next sentence, but Friedman does not know more about the Jackets than Portzline.

That's a good point, but it also cuts both ways. Portzine is most likely to be the source of the official CBJ front office story, but it would not necessarily be the true one.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
My $0.02 as a Canes fan. The 4th OA pick for Necas (extended)+ would have been a coup for the Canes. Based on what I read, I do think CLB was considering it, but if Necas wouldn't extend (and I don't blame him), the deal is dead in the water. I have no insight beyond the pundits, but I would have to believe it was Necas + probably our 1st round pick (if not more).

Necas, is coming off a down year but a lot of it is due to deployment. His 5v5 scoring isn't that far off from last year, but last year he played mostly with Svech, KK and Aho. This year, Drury, KK (who stunk this year) and Bunting. Last year he spent a lot of time on PP1, this year it was PP2. That's what drove his numbers down and I can see why he might be upset in a contract year.

I have said all along that if he get's traded, particularly without an extension, the return will disappoint many of my fellow Canes fans, which is why I'd rather keep him.

Still, with Chytil's injuries and Robinson being of little to no value to Carolina, this is a poor offer.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
My $0.02 as a Canes fan. The 4th OA pick for Necas (extended)+ would have been a coup for the Canes. Based on what I read, I do think CLB was considering it, but if Necas wouldn't extend (and I don't blame him), the deal is dead in the water. I have no insight beyond the pundits, but I would have to believe it was Necas + probably our 1st round pick (if not more).

Necas, is coming off a down year but a lot of it is due to deployment. His 5v5 scoring isn't that far off from last year, but last year he played mostly with Svech, KK and Aho. This year, Drury, KK (who stunk this year) and Bunting. Last year he spent a lot of time on PP1, this year it was PP2. That's what drove his numbers down and I can see why he might be upset in a contract year.

I have said all along that if he get's traded, particularly without an extension, the return will disappoint many of my fellow Canes fans, which is why I'd rather keep him.

Still, with Chytil's injuries and Robinson being of little to no value to Carolina, this is a poor offer.
Would Kakko and a 20th range 1st be of interest?

All of our opinions matter very little. In fact, they don't matter at all.
Indeed, however I take troll opinions with only half a grain of salt.

Not going to comment on the value of your offer, but the Rangers have traded a lot of picks over the last few seasons....
Yes they have. And they've made 2 good runs out of 3.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Would Kakko and a 20th range 1st be of interest?
I'll be 100% honest. I haven't watched Kakko enough to give a valid response to this, so I'll rely on numbers and still try to answer, knowing my answer is not fully informed.

I know Necas can put up 70+ points and has a skill (speed and ability to make plays at speed) the is unique.

I know Kakko can put up 40 points and does not have a unique skill like Necas, but is younger and has more team control.

Personally, would I make that trade? no. a late 1st isn't enough to offset
1) Necas's high end vs. Kakko's
2) Making a Metro team better.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
This ; he’s a super talented guy. I don’t think he’s worth 4 th overall but Necas plus a 1 st / high pic might get you there .

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
I'll be 100% honest. I haven't watched Kakko enough to give a valid response to this, so I'll rely on numbers and still try to answer, knowing my answer is not fully informed.

I know Necas can put up 70+ points and has a skill (speed and ability to make plays at speed) the is unique.

I know Kakko can put up 40 points and does not have a unique skill like Necas, but is younger and has more team control.

Personally, would I make that trade? no. a late 1st isn't enough to offset
1) Necas's high end vs. Kakko's
2) Making a Metro team better.
Kakko has great puck control, puck handling and skating, however he doesnt have the speed or physicality. He really doesnt hit or has any aggression.

He is extremely unlucky with his shooting. Hits the crossbar or post more than any other player I have seen but Kakko is extremely disappointing with his offensive contribution. Improved a lot defensively but it has come at a cost to his offense.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad