Post-Game Talk: Mutombo

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
They would be the best line in the NHL with Vesey.

He does everything they're not good at.

Wheeler never did even if he wasn't washed up.
I’d like to see Lavi move Vesey up to 2RW just so he can get a look at him there. I think Lavi loves what Vesey brings in the bottom six so he doesn’t want to lose that but you’re right Vesey should get another shot up there bc of what he brings skill set wise and he deserves it, too.

Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere
Kreider-Mika-Vesey
Cuylle-Bonino-Wheeler
Othmann-Goodrow-Brodz

I think they’re just waiting for Kakko to be healthy and get back into the swing of things and seeing Wheeler as a stop gap in that spot for the time being and plan on moving him down. Either that or the TDL acquisition that could be coming for that slot. Lavi prob is just biding time since we’re pretty comfortable in the standings they want to just keep Vesey where he is because he’s effective there and that’s where they view him being in the long run anyway.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Horrible game defensively.
Lav needs to shake things up so we aren't reliant on the Panarin line for most of our chances. Get Wheeler off the top line for a start. Look to utilize Vesey and Cuylle more.
9 shifts and 7:16 for Othmann seems very low for he looked in game 1. Would like to hear the coach's explanation for that one.
Othmann played 7 minutes, shot attempts were 3-13, chances 0-4, high dangers 0-3. Honestly I cant remember seeing him a single time, most invisible showing ever

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I’d like to see Lavi move Vesey up to 2RW just so he can get a look at him there. I think Lavi loves what Vesey brings in the bottom six so he doesn’t want to lose that but you’re right Vesey should get another shot up there bc of what he brings skill set wise and he deserves it, too.

Kreider-Mika-Vesey
Cuylle-Bonino-Wheeler
Othmann-Goodrow-Brodz

I think they’re just waiting for Kakko to be healthy and get back into the swing of things and seeing Wheeler as a stop gap in that spot for the time being and plan on moving him down. Either that or the TDL acquisition that could be coming for that slot. Lavi prob is just biding time since we’re pretty comfortable in the standings they want to just keep Vesey where he is because he’s effective there and that’s where they view him being in the long run anyway.
I do think Lavi likes what he does and using him to carry the bottom six, but if you think that highly of him and believe he makes guys better, use him more.

It's f***ing galaxy brain.

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
You guys think it's a "vet" thing that Lavi hasn't yanked Wheeler off the first line? Like a.. "not going to embarrass this vet kind of thing?"

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
It is literally staring us in the face.

Panarin-Tro-Laf
Kreider-Z-Vesey
Cuylle-Goodrow-Othmann

[SUN] <--------(players shot into)-------Bonino, Brod, Wheeler

Call up Belzile and Edstrom. I guarantee they are better.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Complete f***ing bullshit.

This is something people made up for no reason.

Fox has looked completely normal.

I agree with most of your stuff but no, Lavi is pretty obviously managing his minutes.

They're going to treat him like Shesterkin for the playoff run; better to have him fresh in May than play him 19 minutes a night in January and he's gassed by R1 game 3.

Doesn't help that this team only knows how to play 7 game series..

Blake Wheelchair needs to stay off the top 6. Rather have one legged Kakko there.

I'm gonna be honest this is the first time I've heard Blake Wheelchair and the beer I was drinking came out my nose a little

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I agree with most of your stuff but no, Lavi is pretty obviously managing his minutes.

They're going to treat him like Shesterkin for the playoff run; better to have him fresh in May than play him 19 minutes a night in January and he's gassed by R1 game 3.

Doesn't help that this team only knows how to play 7 game series..

I'm gonna be honest this is the first time I've heard Blake Wheelchair and the beer I was drinking came out my nose a little
Bookmarking for when Trouba plays more 5v5 in minutes in the playoffs.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
I'm unclear what Othmann specifically did wrong to be benched.
He was a 1st round pick, is a rookie, played too well in his first game, so naturally in typical Rangers fashion, they'll quickly nip that in the bud and forcibly turn him into a fringe AAAA player and then proudly puff their chests while giving Vesey, Goodrow, Wheeler, Brodzinski, and every other player completely irrelevant to the team's long term success more ice time because they want to win that specific game... but also manage to lose the game anyway, making everyone scratch their heads in bewilderment trying to figure out the logic. And so here we are.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm

Kreider-Mika-Vesey
Cuylle-Bonino-Wheeler
Othmann-Goodrow-Brodz

I 100% want Vesey on Mika's wing but looking at those lines I see the 2019-20 Rangers that had the best 5v5 top 6 in the league but we were still 51 GF% because the bottom 6 was BCHL-tier and scored about 2 goals the entire season. We might have to wait for at least Kakko's return before moving Sick Jimmy up.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Othmann didn't do anything wrong. The line had an awful shift in the first period and everything was uphill after that. The Rangers were trailing 3-0 and Laviolette played the top players more. Sometimes game script has a lot of say in player decisions. I am sure if the Rangers were up 3-0, Laviolette would have used all 12 forwards more.

Bonino got an extra 1:22 on the PK.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Lafreniere was getting talked up a lot on the HNIC broadcast which is great to see. He has legitimately been one of our 3 best forwards in virtually every game this season. He’s not just a passenger, he’s been dynamic basically every night. Still just 22 years old.
Yes they even talked about his speed 😮

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005

Panarin-Tro-Laf
Kreider-Z-Vesey
Cuylle-Goodrow-Othmann

Wheeler Chytil Kakko?

Bookmarking for when Trouba plays more 5v5 in minutes in the playoffs.
Can’t wait till that NMC expires and we can trick some moron team into taking Trouba off our hands for a first.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Jeez, so much drama post game where the good guys were able to get a point coming back from 0:3 down also against a goalie who saved 2-3 more against expected.

PS if you don’t see that Fox is not even attempting moves he used to regularly pull multiple times a game in the past - your head must be all in spreadsheets while the game is on…

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Othmann didn't do anything wrong. The line had an awful shift in the first period and everything was uphill after that. The Rangers were trailing 3-0 and Laviolette played the top players more. Sometimes game script has a lot of say in player decisions. I am sure if the Rangers were up 3-0, Laviolette would have used all 12 forwards more.

Bonino got an extra 1:22 on the PK.

Yup! That's why I said Othmann had a good debut BUT it was against Chicago. Going to Montreal and playing a better team in that arena was a step up for sure. Now Vancouver comes in. Another good test for the lad.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Nat Stat “high”lights:

1) Quick xGA = 1.8. Not his best outing, but see #2
2) Tuba and Miller absolutely caved tonite. wtf?
3) Still not sure what Lavi was thinking about line match-ups - how could Oth get such little ice time?
Othmann didn't get time because he was playing poorly, pretty simple.
Miller, in particular, was as horrific. Absolutely terrible.
I'm really not sure what was going on last night with all of the turnovers. They were fortunate to get a point out of it.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
The unforced turnovers were so uncharacteristic of the guys that did then this year, we got lucky a few times. My biggest issue is the team not being able to reset when something wrong happens. They make a turnover and that leads to 2 mins in their end, I mean ya a turnover is bad ofcourse but don't let it bleed into the rest of the shift, get back into position and battle to get the puck back, they just all start chasing and running around, it looks like junior hockey.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Othmann didn't get time because he was playing poorly, pretty simple.
Miller, in particular, was as horrific. Absolutely terrible.
I'm really not sure what was going on last night with all of the turnovers. They were fortunate to get a point out of it.

Dave Maloney was very animated on the radio last night. I had it synced up with the Sportsnet feed. He was calling them out for the all the "egregious" turnovers in their own zone. It was like they were setting the Habs up better than the Habs were setting themselves up.

It's those types of things that seem to never change with this team regardless of who the coach is.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
.... if you don’t see that Fox is not even attempting moves he used to regularly pull multiple times a game in the past - your head must be all in spreadsheets while the game is on…

Amen, brother, amen!!!!

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Panarin-Tro-Laf
Kreider-Z-Vesey
Cuylle-Goodrow-Othmann

Add Goodrow to the sun list.

We could do better with players we have in Hartford than these guys so yeah in agreement there.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
He was a 1st round pick, is a rookie, played too well in his first game, so naturally in typical Rangers fashion, they'll quickly nip that in the bud and forcibly turn him into a fringe AAAA player and then proudly puff their chests while giving Vesey, Goodrow, Wheeler, Brodzinski, and every other player completely irrelevant to the team's long term success more ice time because they want to win that specific game... but also manage to lose the game anyway, making everyone scratch their heads in bewilderment trying to figure out the logic. And so here we are.
excellent analysis

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
The year is 2030. The Rangers finally hire a good coach. Fox plays 25 minutes a game in the regular season and 34 minutes a game in the playoffs. He puts up 120 points, wins the Conn Smythe, and becomes unanimous Norris winner.

As Captain Adam Fox skates over to accept the Stanley Cup, somebody says "you know, he just hasn't looked the same since the injury" and then immediately posts a thread suggesting we trade for Josh Anderson to handle Aho.

You hate yet another coach.

Psst.

They matter somewhere between very little and not at all.

Someday you will accept that as truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad