OT: Music Part V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
We all know how the RnR HOF is a sham on account of who they’ve chosen to include and who they’ve not.

However, this particular omission is a giant snub.

I figured out it was Boston before he said it. That debut album is a masterpiece, Brad Delp's vocals were amazing, tragic ending to an incredible talent.
About the Rockn Roll Hall of Fame, once they started including Rap/Hip Hop and Country music stars I completely lost interest. Dolly Parton was the icing on the cake. :biglaugh:

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Stopped viewing the Hall as relevant years ago, GFR,BOC, Thin Lizzyt, Foghat,April Wine, BTO, belonged in years ago! Seems like they have distanced themselves from true rock artists, did I mention Nazareth! After all this time I’m actually glad these groups are not in, makes them cooler in my opinion!

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
We all know how the RnR HOF is a sham on account of who they’ve chosen to include and who they’ve not.

However, this particular omission is a giant snub.

Incredible that they are not in, given the wave of late seventies c*ck rock that they spawned.....not a knock on them but there is no doubt about their influence. Their debut album was a juggernaut that took North America by storm and helped to knock disco down a notch. If the Sex Pistols can get in for only producing, Never Mind the Bollocks, then surely Boston deserves to be in solely on the strength of, Boston. They had hit songs after that album as well which is more than the Pistols can claim although I do love NMTB.

Enormous snubbs to The Meters, Betty Davis, Pixies, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Joy Division, Tool, J.J. Cale among others. I don't even like some of these bands (Maiden, Priest) but they were far more successful and/or influential than many of the poor choices that are currently in the Hall.

Industry puppets like Mariah Carey lol?

The Ramones were a fake punk band who played pop garbage that was arranged for them by the studio.....maybe my most hated band of all time for their manufactured image and woefully unimaginative vanilla portfolio. They were to punk as Nickelback is/was to post grunge....sellouts/posers at a time of musical revolution.

Sorry mate....had to vent after opening that door a crack. :help:

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Iron Maiden not in the RnROF has to be the biggest nonsense. Priest too, but Maiden even a BIT more.

I don't get your Ramones hate though @Estimated_Prophet. Pre British-Explosion Pop (and even some of the attitude of those days) played at really high speed had never been done before, at least not quite like that. And they predated punk quite a bit too, so it's not like they were required to have the punk attitude or anything.

Reactions: angusyoung

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Incredible that they are not in, given the wave of late seventies c*ck rock that they spawned.....not a knock on them but there is no doubt about their influence. Their debut album was a juggernaut that took North America by storm and helped to knock disco down a notch. If the Sex Pistols can get in for only producing, Never Mind the Bollocks, then surely Boston deserves to be in solely on the strength of, Boston. They had hit songs after that album as well which is more than the Pistols can claim although I do love NMTB.

Enormous snubbs to The Meters, Betty Davis, Pixies, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Joy Division, Tool, J.J. Cale among others. I don't even like some of these bands (Maiden, Priest) but they were far more successful and/or influential than many of the poor choices that are currently in the Hall.

Industry puppets like Mariah Carey lol?

The Ramones were a fake punk band who played pop garbage that was arranged for them by the studio.....maybe my most hated band of all time for their manufactured image and woefully unimaginative vanilla portfolio. They were to punk as Nickelback is/was to post grunge....sellouts/posers at a time of musical revolution.

Sorry mate....had to vent after opening that door a crack. :help:
I forgot about Mariah Carey, wow that's embarrassing ! :skeptic:

Iron Maiden not in the RnROF has to be the biggest nonsense. Priest too, but Maiden even a BIT more.

I don't get your Ramones hate though @Estimated_Prophet. Pre British-Explosion Pop (and even some of the attitude of those days) played at really high speed had never been done before, at least not quite like that. And they predated punk quite a bit too, so it's not like they were required to have the punk attitude or anything.
I can appreciate the Ramones, much more than all the sucky new wave shit that showed up afterwards.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

The Ramones were corporate schills imo who were basically trying to imitate the Beatles and the Kinks with far less talent and offered up their product as part of an emerging punk scene lead well before them by The Stooges, MC5 and a groundswell underground bands that spawned the Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Buzzcocks, Black Flag, The Damned etc. at and around the time of the Ramones emergence.

There is very little that is punk about the Ramones other than their manufactured appearance as their music is much closer to mainstream pop. I have no issue with people liking them as that is not any of my business and people should listen to whatever resonates with them. My issue is when corporations try and manipulate and profit from social movements that are designed to enlighten the public about the evil of such entities. Much like record companies encouraged hip hop bands to exploit the social movements that originally drove the genre to eventually become complicit in the oppression of inner city youth by glamorizing and encouraging criminal behaviour.

The same thing that happened in the seventies with bands like the Ramones making a mockery of the social inequalities that punk railed against happened again in the 90's when grunge music turned on the glam garbage of the eighties that the record companies were systematically churning out only to have their genre exploited by commercial grunge rip offs like the Offspring, Bush (x) and later by Nickelcrap and Creed.

For the record I like plenty of stuff that is crap mostly due to nostalgia and I do not judge anyone for what they listen to nor do I have the right to. These are just my opinions and if the Ramones are your favourite band then great, as I love the fact that people love music regardless of my opinion.

As for Maiden who I am not a big fan of but their success and influence is/was immense especially for metal bassists as Steve Harris was a monster. I can still listen to The Trooper though :cool:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Sure if you listen to the "End of Century" and "Pleasant Dreams" albums that's "fake" punk. Ever heard their first album ? Tell me a song like Loudmouth is not was punk is all about

I have heard the album and this is their best song imo.....still doesn't change the fact that they were just playing dress up.

I mean no disrespect to anyone who likes the band and probably shouldn't beat this horse anymore as I generally find it rude to belittle other musicians, or insult the fans of bands. My rant is nothing new about this band in my circle and I should probably keep it there.

Kennedys

Jul 22, 2015
Saguenay
I have heard the album and this is their best song imo.....still doesn't change the fact that they were just playing dress up.

I mean no disrespect to anyone who likes the band and probably shouldn't beat this horse anymore as I generally find it rude to belittle other musicians, or insult the fans of bands. My rant is nothing new about this band in my circle and I should probably keep it there.

I think GG Allin is there for you :sarcasm:

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I was excited for a second when I saw that Green Day were coming to Montreal.

And then saw it was at Osheaga, so I'll pass. I'm like 15-20 years too old for that, and I didn't love it at the time anyway.

Reactions: MXD

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
That yodeler's sideburns are off the charts.:laugh: I agree this faster version is quite impressive, entertaining video and great song, thanks Angus!
He still has them!:nod:

thijs.jpg

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I was excited for a second when I saw that Green Day were coming to Montreal.

And then saw it was at Osheaga, so I'll pass. I'm like 15-20 years too old for that, and I didn't love it at the time anyway.
Same here.
I mean, if I had never saw them, maayyyyyybe, but that's far from the case.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Hey bud, nice to see you around; always fun chatting with you. I don't have a preference, just enjoy good music, especially freaks like that guy. I've been playing the same sort of gutar for over 50 years and i couldl only dream of playing like that. The best I can come up with is more like Tony Rice, Doc Watson, etc. a bit more manageable. BTW I just got my new addition today,: a 12-string Yamaha. Plays and sounds great. 605$ with taxes. It's this one.
You too! I'm relived to see you post as your infrequency was concerning me. I was contemplating getting a buddy of mine that lives not too too far from you check on things,but here you are, great to see!

Ya, watching Harry play gives my fingers cramps just watching.Long nails helps no doubt but haven't seen someone play the neck like that eithero_O

Well keep playing,it's a great thing to do and you never know,try new things? Do something original and she what happens.

BTW, the Emma Kok piece I posted from a concert this past summer I was told has blown up the internet.Apparently it's a must see as it's considered one of the best and most beautiful performances. And to think she's on feeding tubes 22 hours a day!:amazed:

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Who can't forget these guys,they got so many of the gals to shed their knickers. Got to love that fashion sense,screw Milano! Edinburgh is where the true fashion houses are.lol

The two things I mostly remember about these guys are how they came up with their band name and sadly, how they got swindled by their manager.

They have no connection whatsoever to Bay City, Michigan. They literally threw a dart on a map, that landed on Bay City.

• Wow

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Same here.
I mean, if I had never saw them, maayyyyyybe, but that's far from the case.
Same. They always put on a really fun show, but not enough for me to pay $150 or whatever a one-day pass to Osheaga costs to see them play half as long as they normally do.

Reactions: MXD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad