OT: Music Part V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
The first dance translated into English I believe is called the ''corkscrew''..............think about it,it makes sense:DD

Took the mrs to a similar show and got into it,even wants the costume:thumbu::thumbu:

• Wow
Reactions: rik schau

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
The two things I mostly remember about these guys are how they came up with their band name and sadly, how they got swindled by their manager.

They have no connection whatsoever to Bay City, Michigan. They literally threw a dart on a map, that landed on Bay City.
giphy.gif

How they got their name not the swindling though. Thank the girl I met way back in the garden state who was a huge fan in the day. Also learned is that is where the board game Monopoly got the names.from Atlantic city. And yes Baltic avenue was a ghetto back then.As for the garden state,should keep up with the pruning;)

This is like crack cocaine. I have it on repeat and let it go o n playing for manty minutes. Neighbours must love it.

Sounds familiar,not too ''metaly'' for you?

• Wow
Reactions: rik schau

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

The final Beatles song. Gotta say I feel like the way the ai cleaned up John's vocals, I'd like to see free as a bird and real love remastered too, possibly some of their pre Beatles stuff like in spite of all the danger as well.

Feels weird to see a Beatles release in my lifetime, as I was only a kid when anthology came out. To be honest in hundreds of years it's pretty likely the Beatles are the only heavily studied artist from this era like Mozart or Bach due to their massive cultural and musical impact. Weird to think people will talk about this song, released 43 years after Lennon's death, 22 after George's, in a few hundred years and we'll all be forgotten.

Reactions: Runner77 and bopeep

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I was excited for a second when I saw that Green Day were coming to Montreal.

And then saw it was at Osheaga, so I'll pass. I'm like 15-20 years too old for that, and I didn't love it at the time anyway.
Only GD song I ever remember is

Said that I'd meet you at the Berkeley marina
3 a m when no one will be found
All I've got in mind is a Boone's farm jug of wine
Smash the bottle in the parking lot
But considering our luck
We'll get busted by the cops
Instead of sex, we'll go to jail
Another lesson... learned and failed

Best 30 seconds song ever, after Strung Out's Klawsterfobia and Unwritten Law's Armageddon Singalong

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

The final Beatles song. Gotta say I feel like the way the ai cleaned up John's vocals, I'd like to see free as a bird and real love remastered too, possibly some of their pre Beatles stuff like in spite of all the danger as well.

Feels weird to see a Beatles release in my lifetime, as I was only a kid when anthology came out. To be honest in hundreds of years it's pretty likely the Beatles are the only heavily studied artist from this era like Mozart or Bach due to their massive cultural and musical impact. Weird to think people will talk about this song, released 43 years after Lennon's death, 22 after George's, in a few hundred years and we'll all be forgotten.

I'm always a bit ambivalent about dead artists being used in things, even when the families do agree to it. On the one hand, it's neat that their work and talents will stay relevant in the future, as you pointed out. On the other, it does feel like dehumanizing a person and treating them like props in a project they may very well have never agreed with ,had they been alive. The technology in itself is pretty impressive in any case, I can definitely appreciate it on a technical level. I just don't feel 100% comfortable with the notion of art without the actual artist breathing life and choices into it, you know? My feelings about it might evolve with time I guess.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I'm always a bit ambivalent about dead artists being used in things, even when the families do agree to it. On the one hand, it's neat that their work and talents will stay relevant in the future, as you pointed out. On the other, it does feel like dehumanizing a person and treating them like props in a project they may very well have never agreed with ,had they been alive. The technology in itself is pretty impressive in any case, I can definitely appreciate it on a technical level. I just don't feel 100% comfortable with the notion of art without the actual artist breathing life and choices into it, you know? My feelings about it might evolve with time I guess.
To be honest I normally would agree with you. I think in this particular case the lyrics seem pretty obviously written to Paul from John and I think he'd love the fact that Paul finished it. It's pretty similar to the last words he told Paul in their last conversation before he was murdered.

Another artist debuted a new song in from of Paul with the words thinks of me now and again my friend a few years after Lennon's death and he ended up having to leave and couldn't stop crying. Linda ended up telling the artist that was the last part of their final conversation. So I think this song appropriately is the last Beatles song since it was likely a letter to Paul that John turned into a song.

George didn't care for the song because John's vocals were grainy and low quality but the AI seems to have solved that. John had a bunch of demos but Yoko only gave three to Paul, George and Ringo to finish because she believed they were the only ones John would have actually released himself based on her conversations with him.

John and George both objected to carnival of light being released so Paul has never let it out of his vault.

It would be much different to start cranking out Elvis tunes from demos since he was a solo act. Not that they didn't do similar things for years and destroy his legacy.

Anyways, I don't think I'll ever get hit in the feels by another artist the same way as the Beatles. I can't think of anyone else who has two perfect records, let alone five or more. I didn't know how big they were when I started listening, nor did I know anything about their personal lives or what have you. Now I feel like music is about trying to get a personal connection with the artist rather than the connection with the music. For me at least I'm happy to hear one more thing. I can't imagine Paul or Ringo have much longer to live, but who knows. Paul's a billionaire, maybe he'll hit 100. Probably the only concert on my bucket list but he's only touring the States next year.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
To be honest I normally would agree with you. I think in this particular case the lyrics seem pretty obviously written to Paul from John and I think he'd love the fact that Paul finished it. It's pretty similar to the last words he told Paul in their last conversation before he was murdered.

Another artist debuted a new song in from of Paul with the words thinks of me now and again my friend a few years after Lennon's death and he ended up having to leave and couldn't stop crying. Linda ended up telling the artist that was the last part of their final conversation. So I think this song appropriately is the last Beatles song since it was likely a letter to Paul that John turned into a song.

George didn't care for the song because John's vocals were grainy and low quality but the AI seems to have solved that. John had a bunch of demos but Yoko only gave three to Paul, George and Ringo to finish because she believed they were the only ones John would have actually released himself based on her conversations with him.

John and George both objected to carnival of light being released so Paul has never let it out of his vault.

It would be much different to start cranking out Elvis tunes from demos since he was a solo act. Not that they didn't do similar things for years and destroy his legacy.

Anyways, I don't think I'll ever get hit in the feels by another artist the same way as the Beatles. I can't think of anyone else who has two perfect records, let alone five or more. I didn't know how big they were when I started listening, nor did I know anything about their personal lives or what have you. Now I feel like music is about trying to get a personal connection with the artist rather than the connection with the music. For me at least I'm happy to hear one more thing. I can't imagine Paul or Ringo have much longer to live, but who knows. Paul's a billionaire, maybe he'll hit 100. Probably the only concert on my bucket list but he's only touring the States next year.
The Beatles definitely are a special band for me as well and you're probably right in saying that it's in the spirit of what John and George would have wanted to see. It's different from say, putting a long dead actor in a movie via CGI.

Reactions: Ezpz

Barriwhite

Don’t be shocked by the tone of my voice
Nov 8, 2005
Montreal
Spam is amazing when done right and is huge in Japan and Hawaii and I'll be in Hawaii shortly and eat pizza with spam and poke with spam,yum!
Nickleback has some fun catchy tunes,mainstream but so much is.

That's how I sound after a night of tequila shots and hot-knives.:nod:
Yeah I knew about native hawaiians’ love affair with SPAM. It doesn’t make it a recommendable part of a balanced and healthy diet ;)

Reactions: Runner77

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Isn't Céline also in it?

Hey you stole my line from the OTT, damn you!
Wrong Dion, it isn't Celine. However , when Wham Bam George Michael, Missy Elliot and William Nelson can get in just change the damn name to The International Music Hall of Fame, it would be much more palatable.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I was excited for a second when I saw that Green Day were coming to Montreal.

And then saw it was at Osheaga, so I'll pass. I'm like 15-20 years too old for that, and I didn't love it at the time anyway.
Green Day’s playing the Grey Cup. Watch ‘em then.

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I was listening to some Jeff Beck and parts of Celebration Day last night and as I was lying in bed, a thought came to me. I'm looking to get you guy's opinion on musicians, three in particular. This thread gives me the impression that most of you are quite knowledgeable in music, so taking into account, style, talent, originality, showmanship and overall achievements, how do you rank/rate these three former Yardbirds, and your reason behind the rank you gave Should be fun to see the results
[/QUOTE]

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

Personally I find it worrying considering the cultural climate in which our society is operating at the moment. The danger of blurring the line between natural and juridical personhood is present. The pitfalls and stakes are so high, humanity is quickly arriving at a crossroads. But it feels like the little guy has no voice on the table.

Beatles song was sweet. While listening to it, I could hear so many bands that came well after them on that record. It's incredible how much influence these guys had on songwriters, specially Lennon dare I say.

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Fred's Head/Blaise le blasé had such a great theme song. Never knew Les Trois Accords recorded it. Doubt there are any other late 90's kids on here who remember this show though lol.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

I'm a beatle fan but I didn't liked that song that much. It sound like a ghost singing, the process is clearer than Free as a Bird but still it sounds like he sings in a bowl of porcelaine. I like most Lennon songs but that one was rejected, I think it would have been rejected by Lennon because it didn't featured on double fantasy and Milk and Honey. I find Free as a Bird and Real Love better songs. And if we compare in his career songs such as Dear Prudence, In my Life, Come Together, Norwegian Wood, Imagine, #9 Dream, etc, are all far better songs. But yes that song is still very "Lennonesque", that's his usual chord progression. He did better than that and I don't like people having an opinion on John Lennon talent just by this song.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad