OT: Music Part V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Tell me this song doesn’t bring a smile to your face.

It does not. They’ve made so much bad music, some of the worst this century to the point it’s ruined the first 2 albums for me forever.

Sorry to sound like Liam Gallagher, but this is shit.

See. I gotta stay outta here. Music is subjective and a personal experience, still doesn’t stop me from sounding like a jerk.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It does not. They’ve made so much bad music, some of the worst this century to the point it’s ruined the first 2 albums for me forever.

Sorry to sound like Liam Gallagher, but this is shit.

See. I gotta stay outta here. Music is subjective and a personal experience, still doesn’t stop me from sounding like a jerk.
Thanks Liam II ! :laugh:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I love you and everyone that posts in here!
I love that you speak your mind. I do agree that Weezer produced a ton of crap but just found this one cut to be uplifting.

They’re not alone in manufacturing garbage — reminds me of all the subpar albums ELP put out at one point only to satisfy a contractual obligation toward their record company and all of them in that lot, we’re unlistenable. One of their band members admitted as much many years later and apologized to the fans but the damage was done.

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
I love that you speak your mind. I do agree that Weezer produced a ton of crap but just found this one cut to be uplifting.

They’re not alone in manufacturing garbage — reminds me of all the subpar albums ELP put out at one point only to satisfy a contractual obligation toward their record company and all of them in that lot, we’re unlistenable. One of their band members admitted as much many years later and apologized to the fans but the damage was done.
It’s definitely not one of their worsts. I think since I saw the blue album and Pinkerton tours as a teenager, and loved those albums so much, I took their output after too personally. Just associated with some teenage memories so they’re more emotional, haha.

Yeah, I know that ELP story, too funny. They did not give a shit. I think all 3 wanted to do different crap. And didn’t they have a large tab to pay off from having a frigging orchestra tour with them? Yea, I dabbled in prog, no expert though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Not a Weezer fan but definitely a feel good song that I appreciate now more than I did then as today's pop is so incredibly putrid. Always a song for some reason that I thought the Wilburys could cover and make an incredible version of.

Reactions: Runner77

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

The final album was the contractual obligation one, love beach. The studio even gave it a cheesy name and cover to try to bank on the disco craze and the band members cared so little that they didn't even bother to veto it. The guys pretty much hated each other by that point anyway, they weren't talking at all. The Police had a bit of a similar thing happen with their final album, it was made while none of the band members could stand to be in the same room with the others anymore.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The final album was the contractual obligation one, love beach. The studio even gave it a cheesy name and cover to try to bank on the disco craze and the band members cared so little that they didn't even bother to veto it. The guys pretty much hated each other by that point anyway, they weren't talking at all. The Police had a bit of a similar thing happen with their final album, it was made while none of the band members could stand to be in the same room with the others anymore.
I may not have recalled exactly how many albums they owed their record company at the time but I do remember that there were a string of albums that were putrid.

I wasn't a huge fan but always enjoyed their live version of Peter Gunn.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I may not have recalled exactly how many albums they owed their record company at the time but I do remember that there were a string of albums that were putrid.

I wasn't a huge fan but always enjoyed their live version of Peter Gunn.
I like them a lot, but it's a bit of an acquired taste, especially compared to the more rock/jazz oriented prog groups. ELP was very much rooted into classical music and some of it doesn't quite translate.

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
You like solo acoustic?

Hey bud, nice to see you around; always fun chatting with you. I don't have a preference, just enjoy good music, especially freaks like that guy. I've been playing the same sort of gutar for over 50 years and i couldl only dream of playing like that. The best I can come up with is more like Tony Rice, Doc Watson, etc. a bit more manageable. BTW I just got my new addition today,: a 12-string Yamaha. Plays and sounds great. 605$ with taxes. It's this one.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
50 years ago already when they debuted in the States and gave them yanks a say what! Only time a band on the show got a standing ovation,well deserved.
And how do you fit 7+ minute long song into the 5 minute segment? play the song twice as fast of course. Talent off the charts!:yo:

That yodeler's sideburns are off the charts.:laugh: I agree this faster version is quite impressive, entertaining video and great song, thanks Angus!

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Saw them in concert in the mid-90's in their early days. Got to shake hands with Rivers Cuomo, the singer, at the end of the concert as he passed by to the side exit at the CEPSUM b-ball court. He played with a leg in a cast, so I always held a good amount of respect for them as musicians since then. Always loved Weezer. Still listening to their tunes from time to time. Liked the TOTO cover they did with Weird Al playing Rivers' part in the clip. Island in the sun is one of my all time favorites in their catalog.

I was bumping this thread to post what will follow and saw your post and incidently, I think it might interest you if you don't know them already. A few years ago, I was playing Tales from the borderlands and got acquainted with a little known band at the time, called Jungle. Today, they're far more famous, still, very few people my age or older seem to know about them.

Growing-up, I was mainly into punk-rock, heavy metal, ska and rock in general, but I've always held a soft spot for 70's and 80's pop music. Jungle IMO, is one of the greatest hybrids of bridging the old with the modern. It's like listening to a more sophisticated and contemporary Earth, Wind & Fire with a dash of ELO, sprinkled with other 70's and 80's luminaries.

ARTE has a free concert they did in a Paris subway station, available directly on Youtube:

Second song is my favorite. People might've heard Keep Movin' from the end credits of Man vs Bee. The song from Tales from the borderlands is near the end, called Busy Earnin'.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad