OT: Music Part V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Yes but it is rare examples. I like these songs but it's not as good as Waters in his peak period : Meddle, dsotm and Wish you were here. Anybody can name 100 singers who were hot when they were young and since year 1980 they are just 1/10 of what they were. Like Elton, McCartney, etc. Only jazz crooners can keep on doing good stuff in their genre at a certain age but they don't create anything new. We don't ask for anything new when we listen to traditionnal blues or jazz. An old jazz or blues musician can keep on doing his gigs almost the same as when he was 30 and it's allright.

Agreed on all points which is why what Waters, Young and Cash did at their advanced ages is so impressive. I certainly wouldn't argue that any of them were as good as they ever were but all three produced some very high quality music and had a major resurgence when most artists relevance is a distant memory at that point.

Love that you mentioned Meddle as it is such and underrated but incredible album.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Love that you mentioned Meddle as it is such and underrated but incredible album.
I first knew Pink Floyd with Ummagumma, Relics (collection of B sides with Arnold Lane and See Emily Play) Atom H Mother and then came Meddle. At the same time FZ with Hot Rats and The Grand Wazoo, Hendrix, Doors, Santana, Led Zepp, Deep Purple, Al Kooper, Brubeck, Chick Corea, Miles Davis, ELP first albums, Chicago first album, I mean, that was a good time for music.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I first knew Pink Floyd with Ummagumma, Relics (collection of B sides with Arnold Lane and See Emily Play) Atom H Mother and then came Meddle. At the same time FZ with Hot Rats and The Grand Wazoo, Hendrix, Doors, Santana, Led Zepp, Deep Purple, Al Kooper, Brubeck, Chick Corea, Miles Davis, ELP first albums, Chicago first album, I mean, that was a good time for music.

That was right at or near the apex of music imo.

Artists had unprecedented freedom from record companies and put together the most diverse and creative music that the world has ever known. The late seventies and on have been dominated by 1-4-5-(6) chord progressions and populist puppets for the record companies.

There was still enough of a blank slate for creativity to flourish and expand in all directions. Today's music is objectively garbage in comparison as it is egregiously derivative and is locked in a circular pattern of artists copying artists therefore relinquishing the very essence of being an artist. Whether it isany contemporary genre of Electronica, New Country, Hip Hop, Pop, Hard Rock etc there are all using the same progressions and making the same song and the average non musical listeners take the bait as they are seeking the same simple pattern that has been driven into their head from day one of their existence.

Rick Beato tackled this problem on multiple episodes and it is a shame as music is devolving from a creative standpoint. I got into an argument with an idiot who believes techno trance is a highly evolved superior form of music yet he can't play an instrument and has no idea how dumb and simple that genre actually is.

I always say that if you want to know which bands are truly talented just look at their audience. If the audience is primarily non musicians then they are probably trash but if their audience is mostly musicians of varying skill levels they are likely quite talented and creative. For the same reason that top chefs don't lineup in fast food restaurants, talented musicians don't want to watch hacks fumble their way through a set.

To be clear I like a lot of songs that have been recorded by mediocre musicians and don't enjoy some material from great musicians, such is the power of nostalgia. Everyone is entitled to like what they like but unfortunately the record companies have created a self perpetuating cesspool by force feeding a very narrow range of progressions on to the masses so that their pattern seeking instincts only look for the patterns that were intentionally planted in their heads.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

Artists had unprecedented freedom from record companies and put together the most diverse and creative music that the world has ever known. The late seventies and on have been dominated by 1-4-5-(6) chord progressions and populist puppets for the record companies.

There was still enough of a blank slate for creativity to flourish and expand in all directions. Today's music is objectively garbage in comparison as it is egregiously derivative and is locked in a circular pattern of artists copying artists therefore relinquishing the very essence of being an artist. Whether it isany contemporary genre of Electronica, New Country, Hip Hop, Pop, Hard Rock etc there are all using the same progressions and making the same song and the average non musical listeners take the bait as they are seeking the same simple pattern that has been driven into their head from day one of their existence.

Rick Beato tackled this problem on multiple episodes and it is a shame as music is devolving from a creative standpoint. I got into an argument with an idiot who believes techno trance is a highly evolved superior form of music yet he can't play an instrument and has no idea how dumb and simple that genre actually is.

I always say that if you want to know which bands are truly talented just look at their audience. If the audience is primarily non musicians then they are probably trash but if their audience is mostly musicians of varying skill levels they are likely quite talented and creative. For the same reason that top chefs don't lineup in fast food restaurants, talented musicians don't want to watch hacks fumble their way through a set.

To be clear I like a lot of songs that have been recorded by mediocre musicians and don't enjoy some material from great musicians, such is the power of nostalgia. Everyone is entitled to like what they like but unfortunately the record companies have created a self perpetuating cesspool by force feeding a very narrow range of progressions on to the masses so that their pattern seeking instincts only look for the patterns that were intentionally planted in their heads.
I agree with you and like you I watched a lot of Beato about music and his interviews with Chuck Rainey, Bernie Purdie etc. Another interresting guy on the web is Matt Williamson of pop goes the 60's. I listen Andy Edwards quite a bit and disagree on a lot of his views, like he doesn't love Steely Dan that much. He claim Zappa was the best prog rock artist. He never mention Steve Winwood and never mention Supertramp. He seems to like Van der Graff generator. He overrate Queen with We will Rock you and We are the Champions. He's annoying and wrong sometimes.

I watched a guy who tryed to prove (with a keyboard and graphics of the chords) todays children music of tv themes or videogames have less interresting chords progression compared to the 70's to the 90's (kids stuff). And there is a guy who prove James Bonds music of the past offered much more interresting chords progression and surprises than the latest and depressing music of D Craig era.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005

@Le Tricolore ...and this one would be the worst of the four. Like, Edging is a masterpiece compared to that. I don't know what they tried but it sounds like a song that failed to make the cut on an American Pie Presents movie.

• Haha
Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

@Le Tricolore ...and this one would be the worst of the four. Like, Edging is a masterpiece compared to that. I don't know what they tried but it sounds like a song that failed to make the cut on an American Pie Presents movie.

yeah, I don't think I'm going to bother listening to this stuff anymore. Maybe once the album is out, I'll skip through it on Spotify, but i'm good.

DesmondDekker

Let's diddly go !
Sep 11, 2006
Canada

That was awful. Makes you appreciate how amazing Jerry Finn was as their producer.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I’ve shared your above write-up with my son who is a pro guitarist and Prog aficionado and who is in the midst of doing a masters in music (and who does covers of all of the great 70s Prog bands, but heavier) and he completely agreed with everything you wrote.

Not that you needed any validation but you Sir, know what you speak of. Thx for sharing.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I’ve shared your above write-up with my son who is a pro guitarist and Prog aficionado and who is in the midst of doing a masters in music (and who does covers of all of the great 70s Prog bands, but heavier) and he completely agreed with everything you wrote.

Not that you needed any validation but you Sir, know what you speak of. Thx for sharing.

I may not seek validation but it is always nice to encounter like minded individuals who place the truth above bias. I also love hearing about the next generation taking interest in the creative aspect of music and daring to go outside of the narrow confines of contemporary pop music. Hopefully more of the young talent will take a similar path to your son and rediscover the magic of the seventies and save us from the sheep herding nonsense that is being pumped into their brains by modern day record companies.

Reactions: Runner77

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
I saw Guns 'N Roses last night in Vancouver. They were a band I loved in my younger years, not essential to me at all at this point in my life. Just thought it would be a good laugh to see their bloated corpses. I just have to praise Slash, he drives that band like Jimmy Page, I really had no idea, much like a hockey player you don't realize is so good until you see them live.

At one point Axl took a break and they played TV Eye by the Stooges with Duff singing it. That was pretty funny for me as I'm one of those people that think Fun House is pretty much the best record ever made. I know they covered Raw Power on the Spaghetti Incident, but I've never listened to that album as the idea of them doing punk covers was offensive to me by the time they released it.

Anyway, I assume I'm just talking to myself here but just wanted to share. Most of the music talk in here is not for me anyway. Still like the posters in here. :D

Reactions: Runner77 and CDN24

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
I saw Guns 'N Roses last night in Vancouver. They were a band I loved in my younger years, not essential to me at all at this point in my life. Just thought it would be a good laugh to see their bloated corpses. I just have to praise Slash, he drives that band like Jimmy Page, I really had no idea, much like a hockey player you don't realize is so good until you see them live.

At one point Axl took a break and they played TV Eye by the Stooges with Duff singing it. That was pretty funny for me as I'm one of those people that think Fun House is pretty much the best record ever made. I know they covered Raw Power on the Spaghetti Incident, but I've never listened to that album as the idea of them doing punk covers was offensive to me by the time they released it.

Anyway, I assume I'm just talking to myself here but just wanted to share. Most of the music talk in here is not for me anyway. Still like the posters in here. :D
Watching the Habs play and seeing the current edition of Guns'n Roses,atoning for something? What ya do on weekends for fun? get a girl-guide to chuck cookies into your nether regions?lol

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Watching the Habs play and seeing the current edition of Guns'n Roses,atoning for something? What ya do on weekends for fun? get a girl-guide to chuck cookies into your nether regions?lol
I know you mean no harm and I usually appreciate your posts, but dude, that’s a creepy child joke.

And after revisiting some Guns’n Roses lyrics and seeing Axl hump the air to them at 61 I feel like there’s a lot more to atone for.

Reactions: Runner77

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
I know you mean no harm and I usually appreciate your posts, but dude, that’s a creepy child joke.

And after revisiting some Guns’n Roses lyrics and seeing Axl hump the air to them at 61 I feel like there’s a lot more to atone for.
Sounds like you have a history about that,sorry! didn't know,it was the furthest thing from my mind,but I guess some will salivate over that scenario with the way the world is.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
They were a great live band.

Must not of aged well, saw them in 2006 and top 5 worst concerts I’ve ever seen. Played just about every track off their new album Endless Wire which is what every long time fan wants to hear and The Bad Boys of rock and roll threatened to walk off stage at one point if someone near the front of the stage wouldn’t stop smoking a joint.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Must not of aged well, saw them in 2006 and top 5 worst concerts I’ve ever seen. Played just about every track off their new album Endless Wire which is what every long time fan wants to hear and The Bad Boys of rock and roll threatened to walk off stage at one point if someone near the front of the stage wouldn’t stop smoking a joint.
Times sure have changed eh.saw them a bunch in the 70's and they put on great shows. You could get super stoned and that's without even lighting up! lol.
I always hated it when bands played new crappy material,the fans want the hits not new stuff that nobody likes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad