OT: Music Part V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Can't mention prog without mentioning the King of them all.

They were the kings of that genre prog for sure. I'm sorry to haven't mentioned them in my post.

I need to know why labelling prog music isn't considered dead in '79. There are new categories of music : fusion-rock, fusion jazz, techno, experimental, grunge, post-grunge, alternative folk, indie music, heavy-rock, glam rock. What we should talk about is career of producers or arrangers, sounds experts, like Eno and Daniel Lanois. What was the kind of music of Pater Gabriel in the '80's? Prog rock?

I might be old school but progressive rock as it was named at the time died after Pink Floyd album The Wall, Groups like ELP and Yes were fading-out, Gabriel left Genesis in 1976 and Hacket a year after, Van der Graff splited in 1978, I mean the main prog groups splited, stopped or switched to pop commercial rock by 78 or 79. Punk arrived and changed everything like a tornado. Allan Parson was making soporific prog records and that whole genre died with him I guess. In the 80's it's was new wave, and catchy danse music.

edit : that song is in my car cd since a month. I love masterpieces like this one.

Last edited:

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
I hope he will be going well. He's a master with a guitar.
His wife Stephanie gave an update on his Facebook page. He is doing much better. She credits the hospital in Bucharest for saving his lfe. It happened just as he was about to board a flight to the US. Good thing he didn't or he would not have been able to receive emergency care.

One of my favourites along with Scofield. Amazing technique.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
This may be controversial, but... I kinda like Dance With Me, that was released today. By FAR the best thing they released in the '20ies (I'm totally aware it doesn't mean much)

It's the best of the three, but I still didn't make it through the whole song. I assume I'll listen to the album once it comes out promptly forget about it afterwards.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
They were the kings of that genre prog for sure. I'm sorry to haven't mentioned them in my post.

I need to know why labelling prog music isn't considered dead in '79. There are new categories of music : fusion-rock, fusion jazz, techno, experimental, grunge, post-grunge, alternative folk, indie music, heavy-rock, glam rock. What we should talk about is career of producers or arrangers, sounds experts, like Eno and Daniel Lanois. What was the kind of music of Pater Gabriel in the '80's? Prog rock?

I might be old school but progressive rock as it was named at the time died after Pink Floyd album The Wall, Groups like ELP and Yes were fading-out, Gabriel left Genesis in 1976 and Hacket a year after, Van der Graff splited in 1978, I mean the main prog groups splited, stopped or switched to pop commercial rock by 78 or 79. Punk arrived and changed everything like a tornado. Allan Parson was making soporific prog records and that whole genre died with him I guess. In the 80's it's was new wave, and catchy danse music.

edit : that song is in my car cd since a month. I love masterpieces like this one.
Omitting something by forgetfulness is human nature,no worries mate. I even forgot what I was going to say!.lol.
That all sounds like a government grant would be useful to look at when and why terms have disappeared. What happened to disco?

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
It's the best of the three, but I still didn't make it through the whole song. I assume I'll listen to the album once it comes out promptly forget about it afterwards.
One thing to consider is even the Beatles fell off in old age. Paul McCartney is inarguably the most successful musician of all time and still put out quite a bit of lesser music in the 80's and 00's. Though admittedly, McCartney stopped trying to write hits and experimented in dozens of genres and made music that he thought was fun and he could probably still write a #1 hit. Plenty of gems sprinkled throughout the 90's and 10's too.

I was a little harsh on Blink earlier but I was also a bit of a fan back in the day, and really enjoyed a few of their songs when they were singing about topics they'd actually been through (like Stay together for the kids).

Especially band who were popular for anti-establishment stuff like Blink or Metallica, it's difficult to write music that connects in the same way. You're rich, face zero real struggles, and you're singing about things you can't relate to anymore. It comes off as inauthentic, in the same vein as John Lennon singing Working Class Hero, as the only Beatle who grew up in an upper-middle class household. Blink might write a good song if they wrote about aliens.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
One thing to consider is even the Beatles fell off in old age. Paul McCartney is inarguably the most successful musician of all time and still put out quite a bit of lesser music in the 80's and 00's. Though admittedly, McCartney stopped trying to write hits and experimented in dozens of genres and made music that he thought was fun and he could probably still write a #1 hit. Plenty of gems sprinkled throughout the 90's and 10's too.

I was a little harsh on Blink earlier but I was also a bit of a fan back in the day, and really enjoyed a few of their songs when they were singing about topics they'd actually been through (like Stay together for the kids).

Especially band who were popular for anti-establishment stuff like Blink or Metallica, it's difficult to write music that connects in the same way. You're rich, face zero real struggles, and you're singing about things you can't relate to anymore. It comes off as inauthentic, in the same vein as John Lennon singing Working Class Hero, as the only Beatle who grew up in an upper-middle class household. Blink might write a good song if they wrote about aliens.
Sure, I don't expect every album to be a masterpiece, but I also have zero interest in listening to anything Tom DeLonge is involved in post like, 2006. I was thrilled when he left the band and was replaced by Matt Skiba (I'm a big Alkaline Trio fan), but I obviously understand why a lot of fans are happy he's back.

Nothing the band does going forward changes how much I enjoy their old stuff, but the newer stuff is just not for me.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Sure, I don't expect every album to be a masterpiece, but I also have zero interest in listening to anything Tom DeLonge is involved in post like, 2006. I was thrilled when he left the band and was replaced by Matt Skiba (I'm a big Alkaline Trio fan), but I obviously understand why a lot of fans are happy he's back.

Nothing the band does going forward changes how much I enjoy their old stuff, but the newer stuff is just not for me.
Like I noted before, they are not a great live band, particularly Tom (who isn't great even with autotune and pitch correction). I don't think anyone's expecting them to release a great album so it's more for touring, so I could understand being disappointed.

I can't think of a 50+ band who have released a good album though. Most legendary bands broke up in their 20's or 30's and probably saved their legacies as a result.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I can't think of a 50+ band who have released a good album though. Most legendary bands broke up in their 20's or 30's and probably saved their legacies as a result.

At age 74 Roger Waters released easily his best work since leaving Floyd with his 2017 release, Is This the Life We Really Want. I was shocked at how good it was and he backed it up with a great live performance at the age of 75!

Neil Young at the age of 58 released one of my absolute favourite rock operas ever with Greendale in 2003.

Johnny Cash also hit it out of the park between 1994 and 2010 with his six separate releases of, American Recordings between the ages of 64-78. While they were mostly covers they were incredible as his version of Hurt by the Nine Inch Nails, I Hung My Head by Sting, Rusty Cage by Soundgarden, One by U2, Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode etc were all beautiful, haunting and plain mesmerizing when refracted through his creative prism.

I am sure I can find a few more but I do agree it is very rare to see performers put out some of their best work after 50. All of Waters, Young and Cash are/were mavericks who marched to their own beat and did not succumb to the pressure of chasing stardom. It is this pure adherence to their art and creative process that allowed them to organically circle back to relevance because the message that they speak is timeless and not limited by contemporary Zeitgeist and commercial fads.

You don't have to agree with everything that these three men stand for but you have to admire their honesty and their dedication to creating the art that they want to create regardless of who buys it and staying true to themselves and the principles by which they define themselves.

Last edited:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

Artists are facing a dilemma when they get older. When they are young they have imagination and their songs have something fresh, cocky, they are on the edge, until they grew older than 30 and decline. As the 70's were going, all the ex-beatles lost that edge that made them famous and unique. They became older and they stopped pretending they were making music for the young people, I mean the music that moves, music that is creative, experimental and with balls. Or like any other artists, like Sting, artists switch to soft ballads, they become more soft jazz, they become like Sinatra. With or without success. And the music industry must produce tons of records and they use has-beens just to sell records. Because a famous name stays a famous name.

So sure, any hard rock wild life living bands like Metallica or any other band will keep on repeating the same stuff, they become redundant and they pretend they live on an edge like when they had no money and they were living and making music like if there was no tomorrow. A punk band can't make music if they live in a rich manson with Louis XIV furniture. It's not logic. A bourgeois punk artist? I hardly beleive it.

And also that question : how many years a rock band can stay on the edge and make creative music? 8 to 10 years maximum and sometimes less.

Last edited:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
At age 74 Roger Waters released easily his best work since leaving Floyd with his 2017 release, Is This the Life We Really Want. I was shocked at how good it was and he backed it up with a great live performance at the age of 75!

Neil Young at the age of 58 released one of my absolute favourite rock operas ever with Greendale in 2003.

Johnny Cash also hit it out of the park between 1994 and 2010 with his six separate releases of, American Recordings between the ages of 64-78. While they were mostly covers they were incredible as his version of Hurt by the Nine Inch Nails, I Hung My Head by Sting, Rusty Cage by Soundgarden, One by U2, Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode etc were all beautiful, haunting and plain mesmerizing when refracted through his creative prism.

I am sure I can find a few more but I do agree it is very rare to see performers put out some of their best work after 50. All of Waters, Young and Cash are/were mavericks who marched to their own beat and did not succumb to the pressure of chasing stardom. It is this pure adherence to their art and creative process that allowed them to organically circle back to relevance because the message that they speak is timeless and not limited by contemporary Zeitgeist and commercial fads.

You don't have to agree with everything that these three men stand for but you have to admire their honesty and their dedication to creating the art that they want to create regardless of who buys it and staying true to themselves and the principles by which they define themselves.

Yes but it is rare examples. I like these songs but it's not as good as Waters in his peak period : Meddle, dsotm and Wish you were here. Anybody can name 100 singers who were hot when they were young and since year 1980 they are just 1/10 of what they were. Like Elton, McCartney, etc. Only jazz crooners can keep on doing good stuff in their genre at a certain age but they don't create anything new. We don't ask for anything new when we listen to traditionnal blues or jazz. An old jazz or blues musician can keep on doing his gigs almost the same as when he was 30 and it's allright.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad