OT: Music Part V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
This cover was released one year ago and I really cannot understand how the algorythm didn't flood me with it before 2 days ago, as :
- I love Type O Negative, and the algorythm knows it.
- I love Lana Del Rey, and the algorythm knows it
- The middle part of Venn diagram of people who like these two artists isn't exactly THAT big, and I suspect the Venn Diagram of people who saw both of them in show in Quebec is maybe comprised of 12 people.
- I'm following Denis Pauna on Youtube
- I wasn't following Anthony Vincent on Youtube because I discovered him on Facebook (10 Second Songs)

Last edited:
Reactions: rik schau

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Blink released a couple of new songs today, and holy shit do they ever suck.
To be honest, everything they do sucks. Also possibly the worst live band you can imagine. Their audience were 12 year olds when they were in their mid-20's. Now they're just kind of creepy looking because they still dress and act like they're teenagers in their 50's. One of those things where they just were a product of the time and their anti-boy band rhetoric was popular with people who were contrarians. Likewise, nobody is listening to Limp Bizkit in retrospect and thinking man were those guys great musicians. Everything I've heard Travis Barker produce is also terrible.

Maybe I'm biased. I bought their self-titled album in 2003 and I don't think I even listened to the entire thing it was so bad. They were the band form of the song "Stacy's Mom".

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
To be honest, everything they do sucks. Also possibly the worst live band you can imagine. Their audience were 12 year olds when they were in their mid-20's. Now they're just kind of creepy looking because they still dress and act like they're teenagers in their 50's. One of those things where they just were a product of the time and their anti-boy band rhetoric was popular with people who were contrarians. Likewise, nobody is listening to Limp Bizkit in retrospect and thinking man were those guys great musicians. Everything I've heard Travis Barker produce is also terrible.

Maybe I'm biased. I bought their self-titled album in 2003 and I don't think I even listened to the entire thing it was so bad. They were the band form of the song "Stacy's Mom".

As a kid, I loved both boybands and Britney and the contrarians like Blink and Eminem.

I must say boyband and Britney's music aged much better than the two latter.

Linkin Park was the best of both worlds.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005

If anything, that feels slightly off : Limp Bizkit definitly had at least one great musician.

Reactions: Ezpz

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

Still on my Linkin Park nostalgia binge. The version of Crawling they started doing live after their final album just before Chester killed himself is more powerful now for obvious reasons. He basically said they reworked the song because he didn't feel angry about life anymore and it didn't fit the lyrics.

I don't know why but the piano work reminds me of a funeral march.

I've always loved the line 'against my will I stand beside my own reflection'.

Fatbiggie

Unregistered User
Jul 30, 2005

Saw them @Cepsum back in ‘98, they were pretty good. Just before Enema of the state. After they really fall off.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
This guy has to be in the conversation: Eric Johnson with Cliffs of Dover.

Top comments:

“This inspired me to give up guitar”

“You know a song is badass when its intro has an intro”

“This is so clean it kills 100% of germs”

“After years of hard work, persistence and sweat, I finally bought that jacket”

In their last posted YT video the cover band Lexington Lab Band did a cover of Eric Johnson's Cliffs of Dover with Tommy Taylor on the drums. These guys do some pretty decent cover tunes.

Reactions: Runner77

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
What a dumb post.

You may not like the band, but they have a ton of fans. I've been into them since the late 90s, but just don't like their new stuff at all. People like different genres and different bands. You don't have to be a dick about someone else's music tastes.

Oh calm down.

You are the one who called their new stuff sh*t and I simply added some humour to it. Now....as a musician I can confirm that they objectively do really suck but I like all sorts of music that sucks and don't care who points it out so dry your tears and wipe away the snot bubble and go back to having fun it wasn't an attack of any sort regardless of the ease in which you clearly can be offended.

Reactions: Skip Bayless

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Oh calm down.

You are the one who called their new stuff sh*t and I simply added some humour to it. Now....as a musician I can confirm that they objectively do really suck but I like all sorts of music that sucks and don't care who points it out so dry your tears and wipe away the snot bubble and go back to having fun it wasn't an attack of any sort regardless of the ease in which you clearly can be offended.
This is what happen when someone post a band that sucks that bad. People have to make a check-up with their tastes.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
My Prog rock quest has led me here:

That's very good, I would say efficient. It gets the job done. Would love to have it on cd in my car these days. But sorry I need to know more about the defenition of Prog Rock. That video is pure rock for me. A mix of basic rock with a touch of blues and heavy rock.

Prog Rock for me is very british aesthetics, between 1971 and 1979. Yes, Genesis, Gentle Giant, Jethro Tull, ELP and few others. I disagree with people today saying Zappa was prog rock. No it wasn't. Allan Parson was Prog rock, I can include Pink Floyd to a certain extend (they were blues-rock psychedelic), Supertramp, the Doors, Spirit, few 10cc songs. Even in Montreal Morse Code and Octobre was good prog rock at the time. It's just that prog rock has became a big anything included. I would say Led Zepp wasn't really a prog rock group. Steely Dan wasn't prog rock either.

I will try to have a debate on the general music entertainment threads about Prog Rock. Later in early winter. Prog Rock was a very interresting music, mostly brit groups and it's interresting to read debates about that period of music with the style variations, music influences and studio production.

Last edited:

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
That's very good, I would say efficient. It gets the job done. Would love to have it on cd in my car these days. But sorry I need to know more about the defenition of Prog Rock. That video is pure rock for me. A mix of basic rock with a touch of blues and heavy rock.

Prog Rock for me is very british aesthetics, between 1971 and 1979. Yes, Genesis, Gentle Giant, Jethro Tull, ELP and few others. I disagree with people today saying Zappa was prog rock. No it wasn't. Allan Parson was Prog rock, I can include Pink Floyd to a certain extend (they were blues-rock psychedelic), Supertramp, the Doors, Spirit, few 10cc songs. Even in Montreal Morse Code and Octobre was good prog rock at the time. It's just that prog rock has became a big anything included. I would say Led Zepp wasn't really a prog rock group. Steely Dan wasn't prog rock either.

I will try to have a debate on the general music entertainment threads about Prog Rock. Later in early winter. Prog Rock was a very interresting music, mostly brit groups and it's interresting to read debates about that period of music with the style variations, music influences and studio production.
Can't mention prog without mentioning the King of them all.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
My Prog rock quest has led me here:

Feels like Deep Purple meets Audioslave. Could do without the Zach Wylde(ish) pinch harmonics that ruined the guitar solo but overall an interesting sound. Not sure if I would classify it as prog but that is always a trek through murky waters when trying to put bands like this in a specific genre.

Anyways.....I always appreciate bands trying something different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad