Dreger: Multiple teams interested in Conor Garland - TOR, BOS, NJD, COL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
Dubas inquiring about a 5’9 forward, shocker!

Height doesn't measure Heart. When you play like Garland height has nothing to do with anything. Hes tough as nails and would be a fine addition to any playoff roster. How tall was Mike Tyson again?

I'll bet money that Vancouver and Toronto make a move before the deadline for a forward. Which one is the only question.

Reactions: Reverend Mayhem

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This isn't what was reported at all. It was reported teams are interested in Garland, not that the Canucks are shopping him or looking to move him. You are stating baseless opinions like they are fact.

I think it's a bit more nuanced than that. How does the press know multiple teams have called VAN on Garland? I doubt the individual teams are saying who they have made calls on since they make tire kicking calls every day. I'd be shocked if the source of the information isn't someone in the VAN front office. This is a way to soft peddle a player. They maintain plausible deniability if no trade happens and they can still see if there is enough interest in the player to build a market for him. I'm skeptical any team wants to overpay for almost any player right now since cap is in short supply around the league. I imagine VAN is best served keeping Garland and just riding out bad contracts and doing the best it can to work around them. It's not like the team is going to win the cup this season anyway.

Reactions: Alex NJD

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Garland is 25 and signed for 4 more years, why should it only be playoff teams interested?

Because:

We gave up a top 10 pick that turned out to be Dylan Guenther for him, so don't expect him to come cheap.

NJ's 2022 pick is currently 6th I believe. What's a return going to look like? The 6th overall pick as the centerpiece? Luke Hughes? Alex Holtz? NJ fans are not interested in paying those kinds of prices, and that's not a knock on Garland, that's just a recognition that a win-now piece is not appropriate.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I think it's a bit more nuanced than that. How does the press know multiple teams have called VAN on Garland? I doubt the individual teams are saying who they have made calls on since they make tire kicking calls every day. I'd be shocked if the source of the information isn't someone in the VAN front office. This is a way to soft peddle a player. They maintain plausible deniability if no trade happens and they can still see if there is enough interest in the player to build a market for him. I'm skeptical any team wants to overpay for almost any player right now since cap is in short supply around the league. I imagine VAN is best served keeping Garland and just riding out bad contracts and doing the best it can to work around them. It's not like the team is going to win the cup this season anyway.
I think it has more to do with the fact a report came out saying 3 players on the Canucks were untouchable. Garland isn't on the list. Talking heads talk and Garland's name is mentioned.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I think it has more to do with the fact a report came out saying 3 players on the Canucks were untouchable. Garland isn't on the list. Talking heads talk and Garland's name is mentioned.

Maybe. These rumors have been circulating for a few weeks. At one point it was Garland, then Boeser, then Dickinson, then everyone. NJ has obviously had some contact with VAN but they don't seem to see eye to eye. I don't doubt the new team would like to move players out they don't see as part of the long term core but with so many cap strapped teams and not as many deadline buyers as usual it may be too difficult.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Maybe. These rumors have been circulating for a few weeks. At one point it was Garland, then Boeser, then Dickinson, then everyone. NJ has obviously had some contact with VAN but they don't seem to see eye to eye. I don't doubt the new team would like to move players out they don't see as part of the long term core but with so many cap strapped teams and not as many deadline buyers as usual it may be too difficult.
I would hope new management is looking at every option, every scenario, every player - what is their value right now? What is it at the TDL? What is it in the off season? What is it next season? With almost every player (Motte being the exception) still under contract through next season at least, the pressure to make a move right away is not there. Sure there is the risk that value could drop, but if you aren't getting the return you deem necessary then they can keep them and try to make moves in the off season when cap is more available and teams are looking to make roster improvements. Again I think a lot of these rumors are click bait or assumptions being made based on comments by Rutherford. I don't doubt changes are coming, I am just hoping they are made from a position of clarity and not a reaction or deal made under time constraints.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I would hope new management is looking at every option, every scenario, every player - what is their value right now? What is it at the TDL? What is it in the off season? What is it next season? With almost every player (Motte being the exception) still under contract through next season at least, the pressure to make a move right away is not there. Sure there is the risk that value could drop, but if you aren't getting the return you deem necessary then they can keep them and try to make moves in the off season when cap is more available and teams are looking to make roster improvements. Again I think a lot of these rumors are click bait or assumptions being made based on comments by Rutherford. I don't doubt changes are coming, I am just hoping they are made from a position of clarity and not a reaction or deal made under time constraints.

That's absolutely need to do all of that. It's overdue. There will be some bumps in the road. At least they have some core players to start with. I'm not sure the difference in offers for Boeser or Garland will be dramatic if VAN just waits so it makes sense to hang onto them and try again next season if the offers are standard TDL type offers.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
DeBrusk + 2nd 22' + Beecher/Kuntar for Garland

Vancouver speaks to DeBrusk and his agent before the trade and they agree to do a contract extension.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Why is Garland even available again? Definitely adds to the rumors that he’s a locker room issue. Been hearing it since his days in the Q
Do you have sources regarding rumours of Garland's locker room issues? You are the only person I seen to even mention that Garland has rumoured locker room issues.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Just need someone to practice playoff hockey on

06658a26ff49be8d3da835484923cdf1b614c5da.gifv

chrome-capture-1.gif

jk

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Do you have sources regarding rumours of Garland's locker room issues? You are the only person I seen to even mention that Garland has rumoured locker room issues.

Apparently he might have been a bit, well, immature in junior (ie ridiculously long shifts, trying to stickhandle through everybody rather than using his linemates, etc etc) but that was quite some time ago. Seems like he grew out of it as Arizona fans seemed to really like him and view him as a high character player fwiw

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
The speculation is that the Canucks coaching/management might not see Garland as a long term fit due to his size and the way they want to build the team, as to why he might be made available.

Trading for a similarly small prospect like Lysell who is 5'10 at best just doesnt make sense.

I've seen Lysell play a lot this season being that I live in Vancouver and he plays for the Giants.

Skilled , perimeter player that doesnt have pace or motor in my opinion.

I would much rather target other Boston prospects or other teams prospects in general.
What? Pace? Do you mean speed/skating?
How Bruins prospect Fabian Lysell's skating separates him from the rest

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
DeBrusk + 2nd 22' + Beecher/Kuntar for Garland

Vancouver speaks to DeBrusk and his agent before the trade and they agree to do a contract extension.

I would probably do Debrusk and maybe a B level prospect or a mid round pick for Garland but to add a 2nd and a former 1st round pick?

Garland has six more points (all assists) with two more minutes of ice time. He has never cracked 40 pts and never paced for 30 goals all of which JD has done.

Their values are a lot closer than some might think but Canucks overvalue Garland (as they should he's a great player) and Bruins fan value Debrusk as a 3rd round pick throw in to any deal.

It would only make sense if Canucks wanted to add more size to their lineup.

dellzor

Bo Horvat's Head
Nov 21, 2016
Vancouver, BC
I would probably do Debrusk and maybe a B level prospect or a mid round pick for Garland but to add a 2nd and a former 1st round pick?

Garland has six more points (all assists) with two more minutes of ice time. He has never cracked 40 pts and never paced for 30 goals all of which JD has done.

Their values are a lot closer than some might think but Canucks overvalue Garland (as they should he's a great player) and Bruins fan value Debrusk as a 3rd round pick throw in to any deal.

It would only make sense if Canucks wanted to add more size to their lineup.
It's so funny how you bring up Garland never paced for 40 points (he literally had 39 points in 49 games last season) and then brought up about goal pacing to fit your narrative lol. Why not just use stats from this season and last

Jake DeBrusk
90 games - 19 goals - 19 assists - 38 points (0.42p/g)

Conor Garland
99 games - 26 goals - 43 assists - 69 points (0.69p/g)

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
It's so funny how you bring up Garland never paced for 40 points (he literally had 39 points in 49 games last season) and then brought up about goal pacing to fit your narrative lol. Why not just use stats from this season and last

Jake DeBrusk
90 games - 19 goals - 19 assists - 38 points (0.42p/g)

Conor Garland
99 games - 26 goals - 43 assists - 69 points (0.69p/g)

Never said Garland didn’t pace 40 pts. Reread. Everything I said above was factual lol.

Using this year and last is ignoring the career numbers and that fits a narrative.

JD averages 32 points over 5 years

Garland averages 32 points over 4 years.

Hence my point above, closer in value than people think.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
There also was that defenseman you got and the fact you could dump Eriksson's contract included in that deal. You sort of leaving out those things

I mean they dumped 1 year 12MM of cap that they should have just grit through for the final year and in turn took on $43.5MM boat anchor commitment in OEL, and now allocate $12.2MM a year on OEL/Garland's cap hits. Eriksson/Beagle/Roussel single year cap hits for 6 years of OEL was more than fair.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Because:

NJ's 2022 pick is currently 6th I believe. What's a return going to look like? The 6th overall pick as the centerpiece? Luke Hughes? Alex Holtz? NJ fans are not interested in paying those kinds of prices, and that's not a knock on Garland, that's just a recognition that a win-now piece is not appropriate.
How is a 25 year old that is getting better only a win now piece?

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I think it's pretty obvious that the Canucks are simply exploring the market on everyone except EP/Demko/Quinton

Reactions: LuckyBoeser

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad