Confirmed Trade: [MTL/NSH] PK Subban for Shea Weber - Pt. 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
love those stats ... you can use them however you want ...

how about ... blocked shots? power play goals? hits? turnovers? :)

I remember a few years ago a game between Sabres and Canadians where Sabres were down by 1 with like 20 seconds left in the game. Sabres were cycling in Montreal zone and had everyone pinched down low when a pass made it across to the point with the Sabres player looking at what seemed like a great scoring chance. PK dove from his man to the other Sabre and smashed his stick taking a penalty but stealing the scoring chance. The play just stuck with me as an amazing play by a guy who had given everything he had to stop a scoring chance late in the game. Montreal is going to miss that type of player, even if Weber is a better player, Subban gave everything he had everytime I saw him play.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
what a lot of people on this board tend to forget is that this is the type deal that needed to be cleared with the owner (Geoff Molson) so quit saying it was called by Bergevin alone ... evidently PK was a cancer in the locker room

That is what everyone assumed, you can see it on the ice his actions were always over the top, gotta rub guys the wrong way

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Shea Weber is not chop liver. I think Hab fans have a tendency to over-evaluate their players, like most markets do. Most general managers do not think Subban is a top 15 defenceman in the league and they would take Weber over him. Ask Babcock who he prefers. Subban is great, don't get me wrong, but Shea Weber is nothing to sneeze at and will mentor all the upcoming D for years to come. Right now, the Habs are better with Weber than Subban. But, they must absolutely win the cup in the next two years before Price's contract is up or this might come back to haunt them....
Did you speak to them directly? :laugh:

cafelatte

Jan 11, 2014
Still baffling why Bergevin even decided to trade him. Subban has more prime years in the tank compared to Weber, who's now approaching the other side of 30. The only conclusion I can come to is that Bergevin disliked that Subban was a charismatic figure who became the face of the franchise. I don't buy that nonsense about him being a cancer, it's typical of French media to paint the black guy as the **** disturber.

Poile should be charged with highway robbery. He got prime years out of Weber, and traded him for a much younger asset. Huge deal by Bergevin, and dumb deal by Bergevin.

what a rotten comment ... so far from reality ...

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
The only reason PK ever became available and rumors started spreading were locker room/attitude issues. He had to go. In return we are getting a blue collar star d-man who fits our current core group age. I like this trade.

SeriousHabs

Oct 25, 2011
Montreal
This is so obviously the result of some off-ice / lockerroom stories that we will never hear about. This was not a hockey deal.

cafelatte

Jan 11, 2014
Bingo. I don't know how many colossal blunders need to be made before people recognize that NHL coaches, managers, scouts, analysts, etc. are not necessarily astute by virtue of being associated with the NHL.

I've never seen an organization disrespect a player more than the Habs did to Subban. It's utterly disgraceful.

this of course assumes that people on this board are much more competent :shakehead

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015
Shea Weber is a much much better Defenseman than PK Subban. Good trade for Montreal. Not a terrible trade for Nashville considering PK's age, but I say Montrael wins this.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Shea Weber is not chop liver. I think Hab fans have a tendency to over-evaluate their players, like most markets do. Most general managers do not think Subban is a top 15 defenceman in the league and they would take Weber over him. Ask Babcock who he prefers. Subban is great, don't get me wrong, but Shea Weber is nothing to sneeze at and will mentor all the upcoming D for years to come. Right now, the Habs are better with Weber than Subban. But, they must absolutely win the cup in the next two years before Price's contract is up or this might come back to haunt them....

I don't think anyone believes Weber isn't a great defenseman, the problem is will he be a great defenseman until he's 40.

Ocoee

Sep 1, 2010
Denver
If Weber was 27 and didn't have that long of a contract everyone would be saying it is a win/win. Weber is still a good player but it is the age and contract difference that makes it a win for Nashville. If Montreal was one game away from the SCF like Tampa was and made this trade I think more people would understand. Montreal didn't make the playoffs and made a trade that says they are going for it now and I think that is why people question the trade. We all know Montreal will be better with a healthy Price but is Weber what pushes them over the top? I don't think so

DasKaiser

Jun 7, 2016
Would have taken Draisaitl Kelfbohm and the 1st over Webber.

Yup, before the draft and after I said he was going and no one believed me. I was trashed on these chats, guess I have the last laugh. No one liked most trades with the Oil, because we had no one to offer. Enjoy a aging, big contract, slowing down dman.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Can't believe Montreal made this trade. Just seems wrong in so many different ways.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
The only reason PK ever became available and rumors started spreading were locker room/attitude issues. He had to go. In return we are getting a blue collar star d-man who fits our current core group age. I like this trade.

I agree it was likely attitude issues. I'm just not sure they were emanating from Subban.

Weber is a great player, but this is a bonkers trade for Montreal.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Lol Shea Weber wasnt even the best defensemen on Nashville let alone i. the league. Subban is without question better..and 4 years younger

Shea Weber will be motivated with a fresh start, I think he will be alot better this year and he'll be playing on a team with guys that have playoff experience and are eager/hungry to have playoff success like him.

We will have to see.

PSGJ

May 19, 2012
Sweden
The advanced stats are in favor of Subban, so clearly it was his personality that was the problem. Whether that is justified or not I don't know.

Opeth

Jun 27, 2007
This was a change in culture decision, plain and simple. Subban was bigger than the team and it was going to get worst once his 'no trade' kicked in.

Cubs2024wildcard

Hung out with Livvy Dunne. You didnt.
Apr 29, 2015
Shea Weber is a much much better Defenseman than PK Subban. Good trade for Montreal. Not a terrible trade for Nashville considering PK's age, but I say Montrael wins this.

Habs clearly win this.....right now.

Weber is a complete tank. You trade for a warrior over a great over all defenseman every single time.

Habs GM- " we put Subban on the block"

Preds GM- "we offer Shea We..."

Last edited by a moderator:

GardinerExpressway

Mar 19, 2011
Sydney, Australia
The whole team crapped the bed for the one game that everyone actually watched.
Weber is not declining, it's just that Josi is emerging. MTL got the better player.
We're ****ed with recapture penalties if and when Weber hangs up the skates.

The recapture question will be an interesting one considering NSH didn't propose the contract in the first instance they merely had to match or lose the player on the basis of the rules of the EBA. I think a strong argument could be made to avoid the recapture tbh ... even going to so far as to suggest in the alternative that PHI is actually on the hook for the creation of a deal that the league deems to have circumvented the rules.

Otherwise, what would have stopped all GMs in that era (when the league was complicit in approving these deals btw) from proposing cap circumventing offer sheets all around the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad