Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
If Laine doesn't perform, the market will eat him alive.
God forbid a professional athlete gets backlash if he sucks , its a gamble , if he sucks he gets roasted and leaves town in 2 years , cry me a river man , Athletes getting roasted for not performing is the most basic thing in sports for fanbases that actually care about their team. I know there's only like 4 fanbases that care about hockey in the entire NHL so its a foreign concept to alot of people here.

Acting like we shouldn't care if Laine Drouin Galchenyuk perform or not is how you get franchises like CBJ in the first place

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Great haul for the Habs
I really hope he can turn his career around
Good kid.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
We aren't a poverty franchise so if Laine doesn't work out its an easy 50% retention and reflipped asset just like Moneyhands. That's right haters , another free asset for Montreal weaponizing cap space while rebuilding. Wouldn't you all love for Bergevin to still be in charge eh , I know you would.
Laine isn't a likely rental, though. He isn't the kind of player teams get for a playoff push. That being said, in a year or 15 months, if he hasn't worked out, he likely would be movable to someone else willing to audition a former #2 overall pick.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
What are you saying nope to? Why did he take a mental health leave and why would he not have similar problems in Montreal? Is any of that known?
His father died.
As per reports, Harri Laine died unexpectedly at the age of 54 on Nov.21. When Patrik learned about the death of his father, he was out of the lineup, dealing with an oblique injury.Nov 20, 2023

and
Columbus Blue Jackets forward Johnny Gaudreau has announced his support for teammate Patrik Laine and the central Ohio community by joining Laine’s Give Back program for the 2023-24 season. For every point - goals and assists - Gaudreau scores through the rest of the season, he will donate $1,000 in support of men's mental health initiatives. At the close of the season, Gaudreau’s point total from February 13 through April 16 will be added to Laine’s with the cumulative amount raised donated through the Columbus Blue Jackets Foundation to the OhioHealth Foundation’s men’s mental health services and programs.

and this, last week:

From Us to You gives everyone the option to submit stories and advice completely anonymously. “It's our hope that From Us to You can become a trusted support for information and mental health advocacy,” Laine's fiancé, Jordan Leigh, said.Aug 12, 2024

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
Wrote this a while ago, this is now a reality :banana:
I'd trade for Patrick Laine to groom our top 6 until Demidov joins the team in 2 years.

Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Caufield
Laine - Dach - Demidov
Newhook - Beck - Roy
RHP - Evans - Gallagher/whoever

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
God forbid a professional athlete gets backlash if he sucks , its a gamble , if he sucks he gets roasted and leaves town in 2 years , cry me a river man , Athletes getting roasted for not performing is the most basic thing in sports for fanbases that actually care about their team. I know there's only like 4 fanbases that care about hockey in the entire NHL so its a foreign concept to alot of people here

Exactly. Players should think about playing better if they don't want backlash.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hughes absolutly spanked Colombus in that deal
TnqSJ5b.gif

Aphid

Oct 19, 2014
What a strange trade by Montreal. This isn't some small gamble. He's a very expensive player.

Laine will score some goals for them. However, unless he has somehow vastly improved his game in other areas, he needs a specific setup to succeed and reach his potential. Admittedly, I haven't watched Montreal a ton but they don't have that there from what I've seen.

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011
Everyone acting like Laine is a superstar....He's far from it. Horrible defensively. Not physical for his size and soft. 2 years at almost 9 million per for Laine o course you're adding to dump him

Reactions: KingBogo

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
you should be excited. It is a brillant move.

You guys had the resources to do it (money and cap space) + plenty of young players on cheap contracts + your key guys already signed to long term contracts.

The risk was 0. I just hope for him it works out fast because the Montreal media will have field day.
Montreal media has a field day with everyone , but when you get off the papers/internet and go to the grocery store you get treated like a god by everybody in the city , hundreds of kids flocking to you , oh the horror!!! Really atrocious stuff they go through here

Reactions: Strat and viceroy

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
Makes a lot of sense for Montreal. They didn't have a spot for Harris and they have extra cap space for the next 2 years.

So they gain an extra 2nd (even though they have like 20+ picks in the next 2 years) and they gamble on Laine staying healty. Worst case, they send him ashore.

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Laine - Dach - Demidov
Newhook - Hage - Roy
You have Demidov/Hage expected to start in Montreal next season? Maybe Demidov; but Hage seems like 2-3 years of development away from being in the NHL.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Holysh**.

+ a 2nd... For Harris?

He had negative value, obviously, no matter what Columbus fans were telling us.
I don t think so. Harris is a young D with an affordable team contract. He has very good IQ does not make a lot of mistakes. He is already a 5D/6D and has time to develop into solid 4D. I think his trade value would have been somewhere between a 2nd and 1st (and before everybody jumps on that price, how many 2nd rounders end up as good as Harris is now ?) To me this was a good way for CBJ to get out of Laine s contract while getting positive value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad