Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
I also think the (relatively) low price paid to acquire him and the buzz about mental health will tame the expectations some in MTL.

But if he starts out hot, the MTL hype train will be itching to get going.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Atlantic Division, we're coming for your asses!!!

(Not this year tho, next year!)
Why not?

Habs arent contenders yet but they have enough good pieces to win games. A bit of health, a bit of luck and a wildcard shouldnt be unrealistic.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Is Harris considered any good? I watched him a bit as a college player but never kept super close eyes on him. I imagine he was probably a bit redundant with Montreal being deep on PMD prospects with guys like Hutson, Mailloux, Reinbacher
He's an ok player and a great person. His game is kind of bland. I like him and always have, but there's just nothing really special. I hope he does well for Columbus though.

Reactions: Nico Cauzuki

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
if you think about it - the blue jackets took Jordan Harris over Auston Matthew's
IMG_4544.gif

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
For CBJ this was not good value. I believe D-Wad didn't have much say and the ownership just wanted to start anew. I hope Harris makes the roster but we just let guys of similar value go for nothing. It doesn't taste good.

For MTL there's very little risk as it's 2 years and Laine is easily worth his contract if he can stay healthy.

For Laine it's a similar situation he arrived to in CBJ. He's the best player in the team but this time that might not be the general expectation. There's also the PP1 position that's been Caufield's territory, interesting to see if they use Laine in a different (wrong) position like RD on PP1 like CBJ did at times.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Wow Laine really had next to no value whatsoever. That's wild
Harris is a solid young D. Vanilla and unspectacular, but solid. Look at Edmonton jumping through hoops trying to keep Broberg. Harris is better than Broberg and will be making considerably less money.

• Haha
Reactions: belair

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I didn't mean to say we didn't know if his father died. I meant to say that it hasn't been publicly stated the reason for the mental health leave.

I heard the rumors it was related to his father's death and assumed it was internet sleuthing like you are sharing, but didn't really dig into it I admit. Seems like strong evidence but I still don't feel comfortable saying we for sure know what is going on.
reads like pretty substantive evidence

Reactions: Runner77

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Not fully convinced of that because we gave up the 2nd to get back cap space that I don't think we'll be using for another year at least. That said, if Waddell was convinced Laine was a locker-room issue, then maybe that was worth it in his eyes. I don't think Laine was from what I've heard, but Waddell's in a better position to know. So IDK.
One other thought I just had... moving his money may not be just cap related. Keep in mind, this team has done pretty well with crowds the last couple years but there is no big push this year. This move saves real dollars for the next two years and I don't know that there will be the fan support this year like the last few so fewer butts in the seat may be expected and moving that salary in full for someone that was unlikely to be a difference maker (could be but last three years says otherwise) may be the big positive within the organization. Maybe. Just a guess on my part.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Absolutely no downside for the Habs. I like that added 2nd, gives tools for our beautiful GM to make more magic.

Laine for a 1st+ on 26 trade deadline will become a thing really soon.
Hughes made it pretty clear he wants his team to be at least in the mix this year and be a playoff team the year after.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
He might be shielded from the worst of it given he's not French-Canadian.

It won't be a Drouin situation where his will to live was sapped by the market.

Edit: should also be noted that word around the league has the Habs locker room as a very good place to be guys too, so that might help.
oh the hyperbole...

Reactions: Runner77

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Risky trade but at this price? Yeah you take the risk because if you want you can retain 50% at the deadline and get something else, maybe even 75%% if you get a 3rd team and if that's the case teams would be all over Laine.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Not fully convinced of that because we gave up the 2nd to get back cap space that I don't think we'll be using for another year at least. That said, if Waddell was convinced Laine was a locker-room issue, then maybe that was worth it in his eyes. I don't think Laine was from what I've heard, but Waddell's in a better position to know. So IDK.

Worth noting that the new head coach of Montreal's AHL affiliate is Pascal Vincent, so Montreal has likely gleaned some knowledge about Laine's fit in a locker room.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Our own RFAs in the next 2-3 seasons lol
And opens up space for unanticipated UFA move or trade move in next two years.

I had hopes Laine would recover and play in Columbus - whether he remained in Columbus long-term or simply improved trade value.
Laine apparently wanted OUT, now. It did not seem to matter that there is a new GM, new coach, etc. Was it a player/locker room problem or a Laine problem? Who knows, but it doesn't really matter, because Laine wasn't going to play in Columbus.

Waddell would not/could not risk keeping Laine on the roster. If Laine was going to refuse to report, that would create more chaos than worth. If Waddell perceived Laine as the cause of many locker room problems rather than Laine's issues being the result of locker room problems, Waddell needed to move him. Waddell inherited both Laine's PAP issues and Elvis' head case. One issue resolved, one to go.
Sometimes you fish, sometimes you cut bait. I think the overriding thought here for CBJ is that they cut bait and now exhale a large sigh of relief.

CBJ were not getting to the PO's with or without Laine in the next two years. Would it have been nice to have retained and gotten a better return? Maybe.
but there is no doubt that Waddell now has an extra $8.7M x 2 that even though not needed right away opens a lot of possibilities that haven't even been thought of as the next trade market and UFA market cycle. In a way, CBJ is now in a position much like MTL's position of being able to gamble on Laine for 2 years, Waddell now has the room to make a similar bet on a different player who hasn't demanded a trade from CBJ.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad