Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
What a strange trade by Montreal. This isn't some small gamble. He's a very expensive player.

Laine will score some goals for them. However, unless he has somehow vastly improved his game in other areas, he needs a specific setup to succeed and reach his potential. Admittedly, I haven't watched Montreal a ton but they don't have that there from what I've seen.
this part is correct

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
Assuming CBJ 2nd is worth about 40th overall, that's about worth about $3.4M in cap space according to puckpedia. That would mean the deal is close to Harris for a $7M x 2 Laine. Interesting gamble
Most public "valuations" have Laine in $5-6 million range based on his goal scoring/offence. Interesting though is that Harris usually gets about $3-3.5m value estimate.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
His father died.
As per reports, Harri Laine died unexpectedly at the age of 54 on Nov.21. When Patrik learned about the death of his father, he was out of the lineup, dealing with an oblique injury.Nov 20, 2023

and
Columbus Blue Jackets forward Johnny Gaudreau has announced his support for teammate Patrik Laine and the central Ohio community by joining Laine’s Give Back program for the 2023-24 season. For every point - goals and assists - Gaudreau scores through the rest of the season, he will donate $1,000 in support of men's mental health initiatives. At the close of the season, Gaudreau’s point total from February 13 through April 16 will be added to Laine’s with the cumulative amount raised donated through the Columbus Blue Jackets Foundation to the OhioHealth Foundation’s men’s mental health services and programs.

and this, last week:

From Us to You gives everyone the option to submit stories and advice completely anonymously. “It's our hope that From Us to You can become a trusted support for information and mental health advocacy,” Laine's fiancé, Jordan Leigh, said.Aug 12, 2024
I didn't mean to say we didn't know if his father died. I meant to say that it hasn't been publicly stated the reason for the mental health leave.

I heard the rumors it was related to his father's death and assumed it was internet sleuthing like you are sharing, but didn't really dig into it I admit. Seems like strong evidence but I still don't feel comfortable saying we for sure know what is going on.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Harris is very capable. Montreal has too many young dmen, but i'm sure Harris could become a steady 4th-6th. He plays a good overall game for his age
He's a bottom pair defensemen for sure. There's a lot of them in the NHL. The good news is he is cost controlled. Maybe they trade him for a 3rd at the deadline.

Maybe he comes alive and becomes a mid pairing guy.

Right now though Montreal won.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Well, if Laine doesn't bounce back, and Harris doesn't become anything, it's still a fair trade in that case.
Not fully convinced of that because we gave up the 2nd to get back cap space that I don't think we'll be using for another year at least. That said, if Waddell was convinced Laine was a locker-room issue, then maybe that was worth it in his eyes. I don't think Laine was from what I've heard, but Waddell's in a better position to know. So IDK.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
You won't be able to judge the deal until we see what Harris turns out to be but early this looks really good for Montreal.

Laine could rebound and even if it backfires he only has two years left on his deal. With Montreal having mostly everyone important locked up you can easily ride that out. The second rounder they get is just the cherry on the sundae, or so to speak.

Can the Habs go back to being run by buffoons? I don't like this.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Pretty excellent deal for Montreal regardless of how Laine does. I’ll give Hughes credit he does make some nice moves. He’s an anti Grier.
What's your problem with Grier dude? You've shown multiple times now that you aren't knowledgeable about the Sharks or Grier.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
You have Demidov/Hage expected to start in Montreal next season? Maybe Demidov; but Hage seems like 2-3 years of development away from being in the NHL.
neither will play in montreal next year. i think he was projecting the future.
habs have had a steady pt growth the last two years.
they're the youngest team in the league and needed goals.
Laine is a match; they have deep pockets and cap space.
they led league in one goal losses last year; they're D is young and improving...
if Laine can score 25-30, imo, habs will be around the 8th spot.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Even if that happens, it means we sold high on Harris. So it's basically a win with potential to be a BIG win if Laine fits.
Is Harris considered any good? I watched him a bit as a college player but never kept super close eyes on him. I imagine he was probably a bit redundant with Montreal being deep on PMD prospects with guys like Hutson, Mailloux, Reinbacher

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
He's a bottom pair defensemen for sure. There's a lot of them in the NHL. The good news is he is cost controlled. Maybe they trade him for a 3rd at the deadline.

Maybe he comes alive and becomes a mid pairing guy.

Right now though Montreal won.
Nobody can win anything before it's played

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Oooof, Montreal media circus is not going to be good for his mental well being.
He might be shielded from the worst of it given he's not French-Canadian.

It won't be a Drouin situation where his will to live was sapped by the market.

Edit: should also be noted that word around the league has the Habs locker room as a very good place to be guys too, so that might help.

Reactions: jrom

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Assuming CBJ 2nd is worth about 40th overall, that's about worth about $3.4M in cap space according to puckpedia. That would mean the deal is close to Harris for a $7M x 2 Laine. Interesting gamble
That assumption implies a bottom 10 finish 2 years from now. That is unlikely, but we'll see what Evason brings to the table with the young core. Team has underperformed based on current assets. They won't be a cup contender but if not a playoff team then there is something really really wrong and the young core would be awful. Could happen, but I think you're looking closer to 50 than 40

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
You have Demidov/Hage expected to start in Montreal next season? Maybe Demidov; but Hage seems like 2-3 years of development away from being in the NHL.

I have absolutely no idea if they will and who Montreal will trade for. Let's not forget they also have 2 x 1st next draft and could end up with a lottery pick once again. But it's probably the best situation they've been into since they last won the cup in 93. Tons of picks/prospects and young guys.

I'm quite impressed by the work done by Gorton and Hughes so far. Let's not forget what they've started with...

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
What's your problem with Grier dude? You've shown multiple times now that you aren't knowledgeable about the Sharks or Grier.
Grier just sucks. The Sharks are on the up and coming but being led by a GM who sucks is rough. Reminds me of Dale Tallon. Good at accumulating picks due to selling anything for whatever price but terrible at everything else.

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
Seems like a perfectly logical destination for a guy struggling with mental health

That fan-base is going to eat him him alive.
No we won't. We received payment to take him in so i don't think anyone really expects anything out of him and if anything he gives us more assets if he can find his game again like Monahan.

The pressure would be different if we gave away Sergachev and a 2nd for him. It's all relative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad