Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Happy with the trade obviously even if I wasn't a big Laine fan...but seriously......there's just no way to be unhappy with that trade as a Habs fan point of view....At the very worst...it's 2 years....lol. And you still have a 2nd to do something. And I like Harris, I think Jackets will find him to be a fine player....but as far as our point of view is concerned, it,s always about what you have in tons....and fiill the empty spaces.

As a Habs fan...we did that.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
He'll score a lot of goals the first year and everyone will get excited and then the cycle will repeat. That's my prediction.
Even if that happens, it means we sold high on Harris. So it's basically a win with potential to be a BIG win if Laine fits.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I haven't read the entire thing, but it's one Detroit fan that I've seen and I've seen a few leaf fans say they like the deal.
Pretty much. I don't see any Habs haters but I do see a lot of folks who can't stand Laine - basing that mostly on the fact that many of those same names were in Laine threads earlier that had nothing to do with the Habs, with the same takes.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
We'll know if Montreal wins their bet based on Laine's next contract. If he extends, at a discount, in Montreal, it was worthwhile. If he leaves as a UFA, then it was a worthy gamble but it will have failed.

I just can't see him extending at his current salary.

Columbus chose to cut bait, taking a middling return to avoid an ongoing drama.
This.

Except we actually dumped him to avoid the drama.

I think Harris will be a good addition for sure, but not exactly who you think of when you think of a centerpiece for a trade with Laine.

Laine in a huge market is a big risk. It could workout fantastically. Or you could be dealing with the same issue that CBJ have been dealing with for the last 2-3 seasons. Good production when he's healthy, but won't play more than 50-60 games or show up when he's needed most.

Reactions: pth2 and Viqsi

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
when you have room to share....who the f*** cares? If he gets 60 points for us, I am happy. He is contributing. It's only two years, and the only player due for a big raise in that time could be Dach. This is beautiful.

If he contributes 30+30....his next contract will be commensurate with that play.
He is making nearly 9 million as a one dimensional winger. You not caring that he is over paid doesn't change the fact that at 60 points he would be over paid lol you are free not to care about it though don't try and act like he isn't.

sbhatt

Nov 10, 2015
THRILLED to see Harris being shipped. He lost 80% of the physical battles in his own end, and his smooth skating didn't generate nearly enough offense to offset his D zone liability.

Reactions: Strat

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
We aren't a poverty franchise so if Laine doesn't work out its an easy 50% retention and reflipped asset just like Moneyhands. That's right haters , another free asset for Montreal weaponizing cap space while rebuilding. Wouldn't you all love for Bergevin to still be in charge eh , I know you would.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
what ever you say, we have suzuki,cole, dach then demidov. your the naive one
None of these guys are offensive superstars.

Suzuki is the closest one and he is not even a PPG player. Caufield is a good goalscore, but he is barely a 60-point player.

Demidov has not even crossed the pond yet. He might be the next Guy Lafleur like he could be the next Doug Wickenheiser.

Reactions: ManByng

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Other fan bases will have their fingers crossed for this to happen for sure. But I think there's just as much of a chance that he clicks with all the young firepower we have and finds his groove again. I'm excited!
you should be excited. It is a brillant move.

You guys had the resources to do it (money and cap space) + plenty of young players on cheap contracts + your key guys already signed to long term contracts.

The risk was 0. I just hope for him it works out fast because the Montreal media will have field day.

Reactions: vHAB

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
THRILLED to see Harris being shipped. He lost 80% of the physical battles in his own end, and his smooth skating didn't generate nearly enough offense to offset his D zone liability.
I feel you could insert Laine's name here and get the same outcome, minus the smooth skating.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I doubt it. Montreal fans can be ruthless, yes, but since we got him in this circumstance, I expect he will either receive a tremendous amount of love if he does well ( see Monahan) or be an after thought if he struggles.

After all, we have a few bad contracts still that make it near impossible to improve quickly for a few years (Gally and Andy mainly), so we can wait out his contract if he doesn't get back in shape.
The rational fans will think like you. The media won't. Laine struggling and them bitching about it will draw huge ratings.

Playing for the Habs (or the Leafs) is like playing for the Yankees or the Cowboys. If you are a name, you will be scrutinized. Laine is their biggest trade acquisition in a long time (namewise).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad