Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Unreal.

I truly thought we would retain and get some more back (or not have to send assets to move him)before we would trade him as a cap dump. Laine must've been extremely clear he didn't want to start the season here and ownership must've been pretty clear about not retaining.

Well...at least we have a ton of space and don't have to RELY on JMFJ all season next year...

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
Yikes... I don't like Laine much as a player/playing style but WTF is Columbus doing?

Short of doing the player a massive favor, they didn't need the cap space to sell a 2nd. Retain half and get a small asset if you really want him out.
I think they see it as addition by subtraction. He's asked to be traded multiple times on multiple teams and his attitude was questioned on previous teams. He was young and that's part of maturing as a player sometimes. I think he's at a really nice age now and he's going to return to his old form and be an absolute monster.

I like this trade for the Habs. As a leafs fan I'm looking forward to Habs V Leafs this season.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
We'll know if Montreal wins their bet based on Laine's next contract. If he extends, at a discount, in Montreal, it was worthwhile. If he leaves as a UFA, then it was a worthy gamble but it will have failed.

I just can't see him extending at his current salary.

Columbus chose to cut bait, taking a middling return to avoid an ongoing drama.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Questions:

* How is Laine's French?
* Who is the ISP in Montreal?
* Is Suzuki a kind and understanding soul?
* Who is going to set-up Laine for one-timers?
* Where is the best smoked meat?

• Wow
Reactions: GUY 10

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Absolutely no downside for the Habs. I like that added 2nd, gives tools for our beautiful GM to make more magic.

Laine for a 1st+ on 26 trade deadline will become a thing really soon.

Reactions: CanadienShark

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The downside of this trade for Habs is.

Laine, Anderson, and Gallagher combining for 20.7M

ouchies
Doesn’t affect the cap structure at all. Dvorak, Armia and Savard are off the book at the end of the year for a combined 10M+ and Allen & Petry rentention are done as well for another 3.5M and we still carry Price’s 10.5M LTIR

Hutson is up in two years and both Reinbacher and Demidov are 3+ years out.

It only affect our ability to acquire a top end talent in the next two draft

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Makes a lot of sense for Montreal. They didn't have a spot for Harris and they have extra cap space for the next 2 years.

So they gain an extra 2nd (even though they have like 20+ picks in the next 2 years) and they gamble on Laine staying healty. Worst case, they send him ashore.

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Laine - Dach - Demidov
Newhook - Hage - Roy

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
We'll know if Montreal wins their bet based on Laine's next contract. If he extends, at a discount, in Montreal, it was worthwhile. If he leaves as a UFA, then it was a worthy gamble but it will have failed.

A trade for a good return is also possible and could be a win

Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
Assuming CBJ 2nd is worth about 40th overall, that's about worth about $3.4M in cap space according to puckpedia. That would mean the deal is close to Harris for a $7M x 2 Laine. Interesting gamble

Reactions: squashmaple

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
This is the 8.7x 2 million dollar question imo and no one knows. Best hypothesis we've heard is he's been dealing with depression after his Dad passed away but it's based on absolutely nothing.
nope. I believe he actually just started a foundation with his fiancee for people in distress and crisis - where they can reach out and find support

Reactions: GUY 10 and Viqsi

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Jordan harris FOR laine and a 2nd (2026)
Kent Hughes cooking yet again!

BtvR1Rz.png

Last edited:

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007

I think this is the Monahan play and Montreal has no interest in extending him. In fact I think he's not a Hab next season. This is gonna be all about re-building his value for a trade next offseason.

Basically weaponizing cap space and deep pockets.

Reactions: dukeofjive

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Mtl now over the cap and have a bottom 5 team.

I do like to move for them though. Could be a free asset. It’s the cap hit that’s awful.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Let's just hope Laine can mentally stand to play in MTL and in front of their fan base. Can't hide like he did in CBJ.

Montreal being mid-rebuild and getting paid to acquire him will help a lot.

One of the biggest reasons Drouin got as much heat as he did (beyond being French Canadian) was that he was bizarrely billed as a 1C and the player he was traded for (Sergachev) was immediately a better NHLer.

Montreal's getting a 2nd and are giving up a D that it seems like management wasn't going to give a realistic shot at a full time role.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
nope. I believe he actually just started a foundation with his fiancee for people in distress and crisis - where they can reach out and find support
What are you saying nope to? Why did he take a mental health leave and why would he not have similar problems in Montreal? Is any of that known?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad