Value of: MTL-BUF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Sabres fans don’t agree.

We'll, they're wrong, what else can I Say?

And upgrading from Dach to Cozens isn’t anything cheaper than Caulfield.

Until he shows otherwise, Dach is unremarkable but serviceable middle-six center. Giving up a prized center like Cozens to downgrade to Dach is huge.

Caufield is still > Cozens Who is > Dach

So what is the + from Buffalo?

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
We'll, they're wrong, what else can I Say?

Caufield is still > Cozens Who is > Dach

Based on what, potential? Even then, idk. Caufield has the potential to be 50 goal scorer, but Cozens could end up as a 100+ point two-way C. I’d take the latter, if given the choice. They are pretty even at the moment, but Cozens gets the edge because of two-way play and the fact that he’s a center.

• Haha
Reactions: beowulf

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
Flawed premise and weird valuation, a recipe for sterile discussions.

Buffalo and Montreal would actually be great trading partners for something like this, however:

RHD prospect from MTL, projected at least 2nd pair (Barron, Mailloux, maybe Engstrom)
for
FWD prospect from BUF, projected at least middle 6 but without a clear spot long-term

Add plusses where needed (on MTL's offer if swinging for Kulich/Savoie/Ostlund?, on BUF's offer otherwise).
We have some Tuch and Mittelstadt brothers if you're interested.
Personally I'm not really into Peterka, Krebs and Mittelstadt - not the profile we need.
Quinn I think has a role in BUF. Before this preseason I would have listed Benson but now it's clearly out of question.

I think our prospect pools are equally unbalanced but in opposite ways.
A swap could be mutually beneficial but high profile prospects are rarely traded in division before they've been tested in the NHL.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Verdun, Montréal
Geezus Christ, way too much value from Montreal.

I'd keep CC one for one for Cozens, and about Dach, experts expect him to step in the 1C shoes this year or the next.

He's better than both. Are you serious?

Every other fan in the league would though.

Because they get a better player in return.

Try a poll lol

• Love
Reactions: GOALOFSSON

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Most people here seem to be making the wrong comparison. It's not Caufield to Cozens or Dach to Cozens. It's Suzuki to Cozens. Is Cozens that big an upgrade to Suzuki that Montreal would be willing to sell off Dach and Caufield to get him? The answer in my eyes is not even remotely.

Montreal is far better off with Suzuki, Dach and Caufield than they'd be with Cozens and Suzuki. Buffalo fans can make thier arguments of why they wouldn't do the deal from thier end. And they're likely valid given the fact that they give up a great young C and get a great young winger and a question mark of a C.

At the end of the day it makes zero sense for Montreal to gut thier top 2 lines in order to get a slight (if at all) upgrade at qC and then have a great 2C but no one of Caufields talent to play with

Last edited:

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Nothing. If we would even contemplate trading cozens it would likely be for a comparable asset on D. Montreal does not have a RHD in his low 20s with good size, good stats, on a good contract, that they would be willing to part with (as they shouldn't). That's the problem with this proposal, buffalo's needs are not being taken into account at all. Why would we trade cozens for a middling centre and spare parts when we have one of the best prospect pools in the NHL when it comes to forwards?

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Nothing. If we would even contemplate trading cozens it would likely be for a comparable asset on D. Montreal does not have a RHD in his low 20s with good size, good stats, on a good contract, that they would be willing to part with (as they shouldn't). That's the problem with this proposal, buffalo's needs are not being taken into account at all. Why would we trade cozens for a middling centre and spare parts when we have one of the best prospect pools in the NHL when it comes to forwards?
I agree it doesn't make sense for either team. But did you just call Caufield a spare part? Lmao

• Haha
Reactions: Chose

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
No I did not. I was referring to the poster I quoted asking what the + was with Dach and specifically without Caufield. Caufield is great and is not a spare part.
Ok great. Thanks for the clarification. Your post made total sense up until the part where I thought you called Caufield a spare part. Lol.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
Didn’t hockey start last night?
Didn’t both these teams miss playoffs last year?
Lets hold off on the bravado and see how season develops

Do Caufield and Dach lead the canadians to the playoffs or does Cozens lead the Sabres to playoffs? Or are they both pretenders?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Cozens is not better than Caufield and likely not Dach. Don't see why Buffalo wwould want more forwards though.

what-is-this-what.gif

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Didn’t hockey start last night?
Didn’t both these teams miss playoffs last year?
Lets hold off on the bravado and see how season develops

Do Caufield and Dach lead the canadians to the playoffs or does Cozens lead the Sabres to playoffs? Or are they both pretenders?
I'm a Montreal fan and I'm comfortable saying they want be making the playoffs yet. They're still a couple years off from that. And I do expect Buffalo to make it. That said it has nothing to do with the quality of Caufield/Dach vs Cozens. Buffalo is just a better overall team right now.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Caufield today is a better player than Cozens

who knows in the future but today its Cole that being said Cozens does play the most important position
What metrics are you using to determine Caufield is better?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Love Cozens but hard no on this obviously... Dach might overtake Suzuki as Habs number one center in the next couple years, Chicago giving up on him way too early is a testament to them not him and if preseason is any indication he's ready to use his massive frame to his advantage

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
That’s why it’s a “value of” thread and not a proposal. Ignore the team situations, and focus on the value of the deal.
the value difference between Dach and Cozens is not a 22 year old potential 40 goal scorer. So the answer is no from Montreal.
What's even more difficult about this proposal is that Dach also projects to approximate Cozens' numbers going forward.
Before i get flooded with troll takes: all three are terrific young players

Last edited:
Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Sabres fans don’t agree.
great and thus the thread gets swallowed in bullshit.
As I've posted before there's a significant pushback
to anything habs related here simply because of the
number of wild habs fans takes on the main boards..
Cozens is a wonderful player but he's the same age as Dach
who has played terrifically since being acquired by the habs.
He projects as a 60 pt C this year if he stays healthy.
Caufield was on pace for 45 goals last year.
Like cozens, both were signed to nice long-term deals.

I understand why sabres / habs haters fans don't touch this as cozens is
more of a sure thing right now, but the number of posters
undervaluing caufield and Dach is ridiculous

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad