Eklund Rumor: Mtl "All In" on Yakupov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
This must be a hot topic on his site or it's a personal favourite of his, but he's hot on this like no other issue.
Not saying he's in the know, but if the Habs shift Shaw to the 2LW position, they are once again short an RW.
What's the consensus on the possibility of this and the possible cost?
This thread is for the trade Rumor, not Eklunds credibility.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Montreal-All-in-on-Yakupov-What-Should-the-Price-Be/1/78841
and
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...ostonCaps-also-interested-IslesEberle/1/78853

All in on Yakupov? The guy with a 3rd round pick rumored asking price? :laugh:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
My two cents is that Yakupov will start the season with Edmonton. He should get a chance to play with someone better than Lander should their centres remain healthy.

There will always be speculation surrounding Galy and Yak playing together, but Edmonton is better suited hanging on to him then selling for a 2nd or 3rd pick. They need something that can help them now in return.

Right on the money.

Yakupov looks good with skilled centres. We know what he is. He's a complimentary player, he'll never be effective as a driver or paired up with "gritty" 3rd liners. If we're unwilling to give him a chance with a skilled centre, cut ties now. It's in everyone's interest, but I'm hoping he gets one final shot with McDavid.

He's got an outstanding release and velocity on his shot, with McDavids generational vision and hockey IQ, he'll find a way to tee it up for Yakupov in prime scoring areas.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Nurse and Reinhart are not bonafide NHL'ers. Lets be honest with ourselves here.

I say this knowing that Darnell Nurse was less than impressive last year, but your 'bonafide NHLer' managed to score as many points (and no goals) as Nurse while logging just as many minutes as him last season. He did manage to blow Darnell out of the water in the giveaways department though...

Sign me up...:sarcasm:

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
But what fans refuse to get and accept is that Yak, reportedly, wants out of Edmonton and the Oilers, reportedly, want to accommodate that. Also, Yaks value has dropped and is continuing to do so, and trading him now, before he bottoms out in Edmonton, makes more sense than holding out hope he will rebound there and improve or at least increase his value.

Old saying..."Cut bait and run"

Yak has never personally requested a trade. I don't doubt the Oil have shopped him, but I doubt the potential returns ever properly reflected his value (when considering upside). And therein lies the point of contention - do other teams see and value that upside? I would say obviously not, otherwise we would have seen a deal.

Yak is undoubtedly a tarnished player with many holes to his game, but he also possesses some elite level skill. He's got a heavy shot and quick release. He's a very good stick handler, as well as a powerful skating stride. You don't get drafted 1st overall without some high end aspects to your game.

Obviously his weaknesses are glaring, but they are also correctable to a degree. His processing of the game is lacking, but if deployed the right way he won't be in many situations where he's relied on to make quick decision defensively (ie: first man in on the forecheck, pressuring the D at the point in his own zone). Positioning is also a weakness. That can be coached. He works hard, his teammates have always said good things about him (Scrivens recently).

Either way, there's no way a 2nd Rd pick is more valuable to the Oil than giving Yak another try.

Reporter: Yakupov said he wanted a trade. Did you try to trade him at the draft?
Chiarelli: He never told me he wanted a trade.
Reporter: His agent did, though.
Chiarelli: No. No. I'm not going to comment on that.

Yep. The question occurs at 1:07.

The rumour originated from some Russian media source. I wouldn't doubt Larionov had some part in it as well. I have the utmost respect for the man as a player, but he has been a bit flaky as an agent. I don't think he's been a fan of the Oilers organization from the get go (can't blame him though I guess).

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
All in on Yak? Really? Wtf?

3rd or maybe a late 2nd pick will get Habs Yak. :laugh:

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Doubt it with Radulov and Gallagher as our top 2 RWs.

That ship has long sailed.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
It's also been "reported" (straight out of Chiarelli's mouth) that Yakupov didn't ask for a trade. Obviously we can believe who we want, but the point is the situation obviously isn't as black and white as you think.

And yes, the Oilers should just cut bait and run, just like Tampa did with Drouin because some here insisted his trade value was plummeting by the second.

(straight out of Chiarelli's mouth) that Yakupov didn't ask for a trade. Way to sidestep the truth. Of course Yakupov didn't ask for a trade.He got his agent to do it for him as indicated below by Chiarelli's refusal to comment on the agent question

Reporter: Yakupov said he wanted a trade. Did you try to trade him at the draft?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Doesn't really matter at this stage.

Having Yakupov means they can ease Puljujarvi in (especially if he needs AHL time). After Eberle the Oilers RW depth is thin.

So there's not much incentive for the Oilers to trade him now. If he was going to be dealt, it would've happened at the draft.

A 2nd or 3rd round pick is not really going to do much for the Oilers now. Yakupov could also be expansion draft bait so he has value in that capacity if he can string together 20-30 decent games he could be a decent reclamation project for Las Vegas to take a swing at and that shelters the Oilers from losing someone else like maybe a Davidson.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
How about .500 as a realistic next step?

Honestly I have no predictions for how many wins we'll have. I just want to see the team battle hard with 100% effort every night and not quit until the game is over. No more going in defeated before the game even starts.

Start by playing like it's your last game with heart and soul every game. That's the 1st step.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
(straight out of Chiarelli's mouth) that Yakupov didn't ask for a trade. Way to sidestep the truth. Of course Yakupov didn't ask for a trade.He got his agent to do it for him as indicated below by Chiarelli's refusal to comment on the agent question

oh jeez...

did you even listen to the clip at 1:07, or just taking another opportunity to see the negative with respect to all things edmonton?

Chia actually interrupts the reporter when the reporter is challenging him on "but his agent did". Chia says "no [interupting]... [pause]... no [pause], ummm, so, I'm not going to comment on that.

The "not going to comment on that" was clearly in reference to the earlier premise of the question which was "did you try to trade him". Not sure how you can interpret the exchange as Chia doing anything but denying the trade request from ANY source (Yak or agent).

Did he TRY to trade Yak? : No comment.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. All signs point to Edmonton being willing to part with Yak FOR THE RIGHT PRICE. But a bunch of non-1st picks is NOT what Edmonton would be looking for.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I think his price would be two 2nd if we're talking about pick value.

Which means nothing to us. We are trying to get better today, right now. Any move that doesn't make us better immediately is hung up on.

Yak will be an Oiler. If he does move, a current actual NHL player needs to come back. No magic beans.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
oh jeez...

did you even listen to the clip at 1:07, or just taking another opportunity to see the negative with respect to all things edmonton?

Chia actually interrupts the reporter when the reporter is challenging him on "but his agent did". Chia says "no [interupting]... [pause]... no [pause], ummm, so, I'm not going to comment on that.

The "not going to comment on that" was clearly in reference to the earlier premise of the question which was "did you try to trade him". Not sure how you can interpret the exchange as Chia doing anything but denying the trade request from ANY source (Yak or agent).

Did he TRY to trade Yak? : No comment.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. All signs point to Edmonton being willing to part with Yak FOR THE RIGHT PRICE. But a bunch of non-1st picks is NOT what Edmonton would be looking for.

Above Posted by one of your own.

Maybe you should go back and listen again.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The Yak trade talk was driven by him being stuck on the 3rd line with Letestu. He simply wants an opportunity to play with a skilled centre.

Hopefully he gets that chance this year.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
The Yak trade talk was driven by him being stuck on the 3rd line with Letestu. He simply wants an opportunity to play with a skilled centre.

Hopefully he gets that chance this year.

Boy you know everything don't you? Not that I'm all that interested in getting Yakupov, he might actually flourish getting fed the puck by Galchenyuk (who by now btw is a far better shooter than Yakupov ever was) but other than that you may keep him. However, why so adamant in not getting futures for him? Edmonton isn't on the brink of contention/making the playoffs and you won't get anything else other than an other reclamation project for him as a warm NHL body. What's the point? Might as well start over with that selection.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Boy you know everything don't you? Not that I'm all that interested in getting Yakupov, he might actually flourish getting fed the puck by Galchenyuk (who by now btw is a far better shooter than Yakupov ever was) but other than that you may keep him. However, why so adamant in not getting futures for him? Edmonton isn't on the brink of contention/making the playoffs and you won't get anything else other than an other reclamation project for him as a warm NHL body. What's the point? Might as well start over with that selection.

With the right centre, Yakupov has been effective (e.g. Horcoff, Roy, McDavid.)

He's only paid $2.5m.

Edmonton's depth on the right wing isn't deep.

2nd to 3rd round picks rarely return a player.

Yakupov exposed in the expansion lottery may mean that Las Vegas takes him and not one of the defenders (Davidson)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad