MrB1P's top 50 affiliated prospects. Edition 2019-2020.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Thats quite the hot take
No it's really not:laugh:
Makar, Hughes, Byram, Bouchard, Boqvist, Dobson, Smith, Miller, Brannstrom, and even Broberg are all definately better prospects. Thats 10 right there, plus there's guys like Sandin, Seider, Valimaki, Hronek, Fox, etc. Idk where he falls into all of them, but saying he's not top 13 definitely is not a hot take.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
No it's really not:laugh:
Makar, Hughes, Byram, Bouchard, Boqvist, Dobson, Smith, Miller, Brannstrom, and even Broberg are all definately better prospects. Thats 10 right there, plus there's guys like Sandin, Seider, Valimaki, Hronek, Fox, etc. Idk where he falls into all of them, but saying he's not top 13 definitely is not a hot take.
I really wonder how many have took a few minutes of their lives to actually watch Josh Brook because the opinion of him around here really does not reflect what happens on the ice, and this is true of Habs fans too, to be fair.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
In no order on top of my head :
Cale Makar
Quinn Hughes
Bowen Byram
Ty Smith
Erik Brannstrom
Noah Dobson
Adam Boqvist
Dante Fabbro
K'Andre Miller
Evan Bouchard
Juuso Valimaki
Adam Fox
Filip Hronek
Jake Bean

IMO all those I named have a strong case against Brook.

You can add Philippe Myers too since he is Calder eligible heading into 19-20 season.

Reactions: Spilot23

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I’m glad that you came in and stated your opinion then have been backing it up since. The list obviously has some bias, but so does everyone coming in saying that you should have ranked their teams prospects higher. Everyone likes their own guys. The one thing that stood out to me was seeing Boqvist a spot higher than Byram. I think they will both be good players, but I feel that Byram is better at everything besides skating while being a year younger.

Reactions: Ippenator

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I’m glad that you came in and stated your opinion then have been backing it up since. The list obviously has some bias, but so does everyone coming in saying that you should have ranked their teams prospects higher. Everyone likes their own guys. The one thing that stood out to me was seeing Boqvist a spot higher than Byram. I think they will both be good players, but I feel that Byram is better at everything besides skating while being a year younger.
Its definitely close between the two, but I think Boqvists goalscoring sets him apart here.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
What’s your reasoning for putting poulin in the top 50. Every time I’ve watched him he’s showed me a whole bunch of nothing. He looks the part and has a powerful stride, but he’s never shown me anything that makes me think he’s a league wide high end prospect.

Also, unless I’m blind lol. I don’t see Jordan Kyrou on your list?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If you think Brook was as good as Clague and not just flat out better I can't help you. To suggest that Foote was better in his D+1 season is actually crazy too. Its as if youre trying to balance my opinion with an opinion on the other end of the spectrum. Brook is a few months older than Smith and he was just as good, its fine to use the draft year to argue, but you have to realize Brook was a few days away from the 2018 draft himself. Brook is superior defensively, physically and has more actual skills than a Foote and Clague. He also has a better instincts than Bouchard and Valimaki, IMO.

I'm not balancing your opinion by going to the other end of the spectrum, I'm telling you your take is wrong here.
Clague was the WHL Dman of the year :laugh: the fact you're taking offense to the comparison shows just how much of a homer you are.

Also, instincts than Valimaki is obscene; considering the elite quality on Valimaki is instincts and IQ to go along with the physical gifts. Also, lol on Bouchard, a guy who legit just did some historic things in the OHL playoffs. Foote is a higher skill player than Brook, and it's not particularly close. If Valimaki in D+1 (injured season) and Clague in D+2 didn't exist Foote was easily the best Dman in the entire WHL two years ago. Again, in his D+1. These guys didn't even get a chance to show their ability in D+2 as they were already promoted.

If you don't think that 6+ months of age, plus a year under the umbrella of a team has no impact on 18/19 year olds, just shows how green you are.

Probably should stick to the Habs boards with your nonsense. The problem with your rankings here, is that you're trying to sell snake oil to people with pythons.

I'm not saying Brook isn't a good prospect, really good, but similar to guys like Bear, etc before him; putting huge stock into D+2 development a fools errand; especially when there's some absolute studs on the board.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What’s your reasoning for putting poulin in the top 50. Every time I’ve watched him he’s showed me a whole bunch of nothing. He looks the part and has a powerful stride, but he’s never shown me anything that makes me think he’s a league wide high end prospect.

Also, unless I’m blind lol. I don’t see Jordan Kyrou on your list?
Just see above for Kyrou, and I guess I may be too high on Poulin, but I love his game. He's a legit prospect and thrives in league play where he gets to play his grind game. Have you mostly watched him in international play? Because I agree that he did not look good there.

Reactions: Fenris

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I really wonder how many have took a few minutes of their lives to actually watch Josh Brook because the opinion of him around here really does not reflect what happens on the ice, and this is true of Habs fans too, to be fair.

Well, I mean, as someone who has clearly watched more of him than you, likely substantially, you literally took no stock in what I said; so what can actually be said here?

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Just see above for Kyrou, and I guess I may be too high on Poulin, but I love his game. He's a legit prospect and thrives in league play where he gets to play his grind game. Have you mostly watched him in international play? Because I agree that he did not look good there.
I watched one league play and then some international. He just doesn’t do much for me personally

Also no love for Dominik Bokk? So much pure skill and ability with a ridiculous set of mitts

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm not balancing your opinion by going to the other end of the spectrum, I'm telling you your take is wrong here.
Clague was the WHL Dman of the year :laugh: the fact you're taking offense to the comparison shows just how much of a homer you are.

Also, instincts than Valimaki is obscene; considering the elite quality on Valimaki is instincts and IQ to go along with the physical gifts. Also, lol on Bouchard, a guy who legit just did some historic things in the OHL playoffs. Foote is a higher skill player than Brook, and it's not particularly close. If Valimaki in D+1 (injured season) and Clague in D+2 didn't exist Foote was easily the best Dman in the entire WHL two years ago. Again, in his D+1. These guys didn't even get a chance to show their ability in D+2 as they were already promoted.

If you don't think that 6+ months of age, plus a year under the umbrella of a team has no impact on 18/19 year olds, just shows how green you are.

Probably should stick to the Habs boards with your nonsense. The problem with your rankings here, is that you're trying to sell snake oil to people with pythons.

I'm not saying Brook isn't a good prospect, really good, but similar to guys like Bear, etc before him; putting huge stock into D+2 development a fools errand; especially when there's some absolute studs on the board.
The problem is that you ignore Brook's injury history as if he wouldn't have done better in his D and D+1 year, thats why hes so underrated.

Also are you saying Brook's main asset isn't his IQ because IDK.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I can't disagree with anything you've said, I really like Valimaki, but I think he loses out just a bit on every matchups you can make. Maybe if I valued NHL readiness more he would've been higher.

Lol, not watching Veleno. How can I not watch Veleno when he's been literally on every TV for three years now ? I live in Montreal and get 10+ games a week of CHL play on my TV provider alone. Are you aware that Veleno played in both the Memorial cup and the WJC, the two most watched prospect-related events in the world ? Thats just ridiculous. He's also played on the best team in the league for two years now, and he's played on a team with a favorite of mine in Nicolas Beaudin. Having Veleno in the top ten is actually ridiculous. The guy has limited offensive upside from the lack of shot and the lack of vision. He's been in junior for four years now, and he still hasn't changed the way he plays or actually got better.

Is he going to make the NHL ? Yeah, his skating and puck carrying are too good not to. Is he going to be a top 6 player ? No. Do I rank third line center in my top 50 ? **** no.
I strongly disagree on your last statements but thanks for backing up your opinion.

Reactions: Fenris

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The problem is that you ignore Brook's injury history as if he wouldn't have done better in his D and D+1 year, thats why hes so underrated.

Also are you saying Brook's main asset isn't his IQ because IDK.

He played a full draft season.
In his D+1, he missed some time; but he was back for the playoffs... where he was not even close to Clague as his teams best defenceman. Again, that same Clague you're laughing at me for insisting they were kind of close in their D+2's.

Position/Defence is fine, it's a strength. Transition is good too, I don't think the offence will translate to the NHL, maybe even the AHL level. Like I said, he's a good prospect, especially for a non-first rounder... but I see guys on your list that are going to be top guys; league wide. He's not that.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Well, I mean, as someone who has clearly watched more of him than you, likely substantially, you literally took no stock in what I said; so what can actually be said here?
à

I really don't think you've watched more of him than me, lol. Because you clearly have a distorted opinion of him.

I watched one league play and then some international. He just doesn’t do much for me personally

Also no love for Dominik Bokk? So much pure skill and ability with a ridiculous set of mitts

Bokk definitely is next in line and he'd be above Kyrou IMO. I oversighted him in HMs.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He played a full draft season.
In his D+1, he missed some time; but he was back for the playoffs... where he was not even close to Clague as his teams best defenceman. Again, that same Clague you're laughing at me for insisting they were kind of close in their D+2's.

Position/Defence is fine, it's a strength. Transition is good too, I don't think the offence will translate to the NHL, maybe even the AHL level. Like I said, he's a good prospect, especially for a non-first rounder... but I see guys on your list that are going to be top guys; league wide. He's not that.
I think he has more tools than Clague, Foote, Valimaki, heck, even Hughes. Theres not a single thing that should suggest Brook's offensive game will not translate. The way he produces is like text book NHL player.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
à

I really don't think you've watched more of him than me, lol. Because you clearly have a distorted opinion of him.

Sure.
What channel is the Dub broadcast in La Belle Province again? We get here on Shaw.
Also, send me your receipts for your Moose Jaw tickets? You fly into Regina for that one? Or you taking the scenic path from Calgary through Medicine Hat?

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
@Mrb1p right now trying to survive
SecondDecisiveHart-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
List is 2019 heavy. 20/50 being 2019 picks is a bit much. No coincidence the team you cheer for ended up having the most prospects on the list either.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
à

Bokk definitely is next in line and he'd be above Kyrou IMO. I oversighted him in HMs.

Not sure if I’d put him over Kyrou but from a ceiling standpoint I’d put him over Kostin

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think he has more tools than Clague, Foote, Valimaki, heck, even Hughes. Theres not a single thing that should suggest Brook's offensive game will not translate. The way he produces is like text book NHL player.

Well, of course you do.
We haven't really made it past how much of a homer list you put together. Or any real reason.

You should see how much this kid produces below the dots. But enjoy man. Clearly you've got your mind set, your list, your rules. Don't get mad when people point out that it's not great.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Sure.
What channel is the Dub broadcast in La Belle Province again? We get here on Shaw.
Also, send me your receipts for your Moose Jaw tickets? You fly into Regina for that one? Or you taking the scenic path from Calgary through Medicine Hat?
Alright, you've seen him live, that makes you an expert ? Josh Brook played like 20 games on national television.

But anyway, since you like in the WHL how do you know Dobson is better ? I clearly watched more than you, or did you take the scenic road through the Parc de la vérandrye to Rouyn ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad