MrB1P's top 50 affiliated prospects. Edition 2019-2020.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Can you be swayed on the opinion you have of a player youve watched for countless hours? No? Why would I be? Ive debated with you and someone else about Woo, we all pretty much agreed on Woo and we still had different opinions on their ceiling. Thats what this thread is, my opinion, nothing else.

I'm just saying you have Habs prospects ranked pretty high compared to pretty much every other list I've seen. But that's the risk you take when you post a top 50 drafted prospects list. you are going to get roasted on pretty much every single pick you make.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm just saying you have Habs prospects ranked pretty high compared to pretty much every other list I've seen. But that's the risk you take when you post a top 50 drafted prospects list. you are going to get roasted on pretty much every single pick you make.
I also have Colorado and Vegas prospects really high, even higher than Habs one.. what gives?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I also have Colorado and Vegas prospects really high, even higher than Habs one.. what gives?

I'd have Dobson higher. Newhook lower. Hague lower. Q. Hughes higher, Heinola lower. What I find interesting is your Romanov ranking. I'd have him higher than Brook. Though my views are mostly international. Kaprizov higher, Fox higher, Hayton higher.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Development isnt linear. We have updated info on Brook so there is no reason not to use it.

That's exactly the point. You have more info on the older player. That info has to be taken with a grain of salt because it lacks context (ie a comparator).

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Thats fine, this is not their list, its my list. I doubt I will find a lot of Avs fans that think Alex Newhook is better than Dach. Does that make me a Avs homer?
I doubt that I find a lot of Leafs fans that would rank Nick Robertson ahead of Evan Bouchard, Philip Broberg and Trevor Zegras, am I a Leaf homer too ?
Not in the slightest. Dach would be in my top five and I even rank him over Byram. That said it's your list so it's going to be different. Interesting rankings at the very least. What makes you so high on Newhook?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not in the slightest. Dach would be in my top five and I even rank him over Byram. That said it's your list so it's going to be different. Interesting rankings at the very least. What makes you so high on Newhook?

His offensive potential is as high as any player in this draft. His skating+puck handling is special player territory. I think people dont realize just how dominant he was on a consistent basis in the BCHL. His point production without context doesnt seem so amazing, but when you look at it relative to the league this year and his team, its one of the most impressive in years.

Hes not without flaws, and hell have to work on his shot and hell have to smooth out the dumb decisions that mostly come from playing with BCHL players but the potential is sky high.

When you compare him to Dach, the difference is consistency and skating. Dach possesses outstanding physical tools, but his consistency issues are something I cannot ignore. Maybe he pans out and becomes Getzlaf, but theres also a likeliness that he ends up Johansen, which isnt bad at all, obviously.

Reactions: avsfan09

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
His offensive potential is as high as any player in this draft. His skating+puck handling is special player territory. I think people dont realize just how dominant he was on a consistent basis in the BCHL. His point production without context doesnt seem so amazing, but when you look at it relative to the league this year and his team, its one of the most impressive in years.

Hes not without flaws, and hell have to work on his shot and hell have to smooth out the dumb decisions that mostly come from playing with BCHL players but the potential is sky high.

When you compare him to Dach, the difference is consistency and skating. Dach possesses outstanding physical tools, but his consistency issues are something I cannot ignore. Maybe he pans out and becomes Getzlaf, but theres also a likeliness that he ends up Johansen, which isnt bad at all, obviously.
I actually like Newhooks release and velocity on his shots. He's certainly a great skater and has slick hands aswell. I like his hockey sense and playmaking alot aswell.

As for Newhook vs. Dach, I just see Dach as having the potential to be one of the top 3 players in the draft. His hockey sense, vision, hands and size combination is tantalizing. If he only becomes Johansen(good player, not elite) I will be disappointed but I understand the criticisms. I just think he plays a cerebra/skill game and people can mistake it for lack of effort if they don't understand he's processing the play. Appreciate your take though and while I don't agree with the list, you're getting alot of uncalled for flack.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I actually like Newhooks release and velocity on his shots. He's certainly a great skater and has slick hands aswell. I like his hockey sense and playmaking alot aswell.

As for Newhook vs. Dach, I just see Dach as having the potential to be one of the top 3 players in the draft. His hockey sense, vision, hands and size combination is tantalizing. If he only becomes Johansen(good player, not elite) I will be disappointed but I understand the criticisms. I just think he plays a cerebra/skill game and people can mistake it for lack of effort if they don't understand he's processing the play. Appreciate your take though and while I don't agree with the list, you're getting alot of uncalled for flack.
Oh Newhook definitely has a shot, but Id say it still needs work to be in that PPG territory.

As for Dach, sometimes its being cerebral, other times hes just flat out not moving his feet enough. One thing is for sure, I dont think he has any attitude issues a la RyJo, so thats a plus.

Reactions: avsfan09

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
it just so happens that there were several of those that belong to the Habs, in your opinion.
I moved this to my thread so I do not hijack Steve's thread.

Anyway, several ? Only Brook is "overranked". Some could argue Romanov, I guess ?

Caufield was ranked 31st on my ranking.
HF had him at 23 (-8)
Kournianos had him at 30 (-) (No goalies on my list, remove one.)
NHLNetwork had him at 22 (Remove three goalies.)
Caufield was ranked 25th by scott Wheeler.
Thats an average of 25 on the dot, which means he's usually ranked 6 spots ahead by mainstream media and popular opinion.

Suzuki was at 20
HF ranked him 34th (Really harsh rankings, if you ask me, Denisenko ? Sam Steel ? K' Miller ? Come on.
Kournianos had him at 34 (No goalies on my list, remove two ranks.)
Suzuki was ranked 15th by Scott Wheeler
Suzuki was unranked by NHLNetwork (Weird.)
Thats an average of 27, which means he's usually ranked 7 spots behind by mainstream media and popular opinion.

Poehling was at 24.
HF had him 37th,
Kournianos had him 37th, removed two goalies.
NHLNetwork had Poehling at 35. (Remove 4 goalies
Poehling was ranked 50th by Scott Wheeler
Average of 39, 15 spots behind.

Romanov is 32 on my list
Unranked by HF so far
Unranked by Kournianos in his top 100 (Harsh, I think.)
Unranked by Scott Wheeler
Unranked by NHLNetwork.
Unranked, 32 spots behind.

I mean, Poehling is overranked, Suzuki is pretty much the same, Caufield is pretty much the same and Brook and Romanov are out of nowhere overranked.

This doesn't sound like much homerism, if you ask me. It actually sounds like someone that likes a few prospects more than others. I notoriously ranked Vancouver, Philadelphia and Edmonton prospects much lower than the average, is there some bias in there ?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
And you think that removing the 4 goalies in the list, shifting your players like 2-4 slots makes it more acceptable? It's not quite as bad, but you still have two players over 10 slots different, and one still inexplicably over 30 slots different. Like I said, you could honestly believe these rankings, and that would be fine, but you do understand how your rankings of Suzuki, Poehling, and Brook can have the appearance of being swayed heavily by your rooting interest, right?

Moved over, not to hijack Steves thread.

Again, look above, I tallied a few lists that are around. If I was such a homer... Wouldn't I have tried to rank Caufield higher, considering he ends up 7 spots lower than on average ? Wouldn't I have ranked Suzuki much higher than a mere 6 spots ahead of the "concensus" ?

I'll ask you those questions too, I'm much lower on Edmonton, Vancouver and Philadelphia prospects than most, does that make me a homer for something ? Or is it, maybe, just my opinion ?

I rank Colorado, Vegas, LA, NYI and Washintons prospect much higher than most... Does that make me a homer ?

I ranked Bobby Brink ahead of any other Philadelphia prospect, why is that ? Is it because I'm a Bobby Brink homer ? Maybe its a slight against York, Frost, Myers and Ratcliffe ? Or maybe, again, it's just my honest opinion.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Great list and good work on the list!

In my opinion, some names might seem I disagree.

- Necas maybe Top 20;
- Glass mid teens;
- Boqvist is 10 spots to high andnot better than Byram;
- Newhook is comparable to Krebs maybe mid 30s;
- Hague bottom of list missing Timmins?
- Brooks bottom of list;
- Q Hughes Top 10;
- Dach should be Top 8.

Reactions: Favster and d rake

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Great list and good work on the list!

In my opinion, some names might seem I disagree.

- Necas maybe Top 20;
- Glass mid teens;
- Boqvist is 10 spots to high andnot better than Byram;
- Newhook is comparable to Krebs maybe mid 30s;
- Hague bottom of list missing Timmins?
- Brooks bottom of list;
- Q Hughes Top 10;
- Dach should be Top 8.
Thanks for the opinion.

Necas and Glass IMO are two of the best forwards outside the NHL. I wonder why you'd put Dach above them ? Dach has played in the WHL and he was nowhere near as good as Glass, and both have similar tools IMO.

Boqvist and Byram are really close, to me. Boqvist has more offensive skills and thats why he's a bit higher.
Hague and Brook are NHL ready this year and I see top 2 upside in them, thats why theyre so high. As for Timmins, he was in my top 15 last year, but those damn injuries. He's really one of my favorite D prospect out there but I need to see him play.
Hughes doesn't have enough historical comparables for me to be so high on him.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Great list. Lol at everyone questioning Josh Brook due to him being a 2nd rounder when he is clearly an excellent Dman and future top pairing D

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Thanks for the opinion.

Necas and Glass IMO are two of the best forwards outside the NHL. I wonder why you'd put Dach above them ? Dach has played in the WHL and he was nowhere near as good as Glass, and both have similar tools IMO.

Boqvist and Byram are really close, to me. Boqvist has more offensive skills and thats why he's a bit higher.
Hague and Brook are NHL ready this year and I see top 2 upside in them, thats why theyre so high. As for Timmins, he was in my top 15 last year, but those damn injuries. He's really one of my favorite D prospect out there but I need to see him play.
Hughes doesn't have enough historical comparables for me to be so high on him.

Great job though and always look forward to anyone, regardless of any agreement on players.

Will you create a mid-term list? Some names will definitely be removed as they'll be promoted into the NHL and others get another opportunity to improve.

Reactions: d rake

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Great job though and always look forward to anyone, regardless of any agreement on players.

Will you create a mid-term list? Some names will definitely be removed as they'll be promoted into the NHL and others get another opportunity to improve.
I usually stick to summer lists as Im pretty swamped during the winter months, Id rather take the extra time to watch games rather than think about a list.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
definitely need to switch Suzuki and Frost. on no planet is Suzuki better.
I think these 2 are pretty close and it's very hard to say one is clearly ahead of the other. I would say Suzuki has the best shot, Frost the best wheels and motor. I see Suzuki having more success on offense and PP at the next level while Frost having more success as a complete 200ft player. Suzuki ain't bad defensively, but needs to work on skating to be effective on both sides of the ice at the next level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad