MrB1P's top 50 affiliated prospects. Edition 2019-2020.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I wont comment on this list nor on the glaring omissions, but bugger off with Romanov not being good enough to make this list. The dude was a total beast unlike no other Ds last season except for a very select few. Best D of U20s. A beast in the K as an 18 yo and considered the best russian prospect during the 2018-19 season by, i believe, 2 russian experts.
If he doesnt make the top 50, he certainly is a HM.
Edit: D prospect

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Lafreniere got outproduced by a guy with limited offensive upside.

Oof.
Are you aware that Lafrèniere had one more point than Veleno ?

Sounds about right, D-1 season vs D+1 season, two years difference, on a team with three PPG players vs SEVEN, and on a team where he lead his team in points and PPG, vs a guy that didn't lead his team in PPG.

Sounds about right, yeah.

Also, their Playoffs just makes that comment that much funnier.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Welp, I didn't expect a global mod to come in and have a response like that, but yeah, its very serious. Like hundreds of hours of watching hockey serious.
I was sincerely asking because there are some major hot takes here. Some people spend five minutes putting these lists together and if that was the case then I wasn't going to bother any further. Others spend time. If it is a serious list (which you say it is) how do you have Dorofeyev at 21, Zegras and Broberg as HM's, K'Andre Miller no where on this list (which is probably the craziest thing of all), and Boldy+Newhook ahead of Kravtsov and Suzuki at 20?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Are you aware that Lafrèniere had one more point than Veleno ?

Sounds about right, D-1 season vs D+1 season, two years difference, on a team with three PPG players vs SEVEN, and on a team where he lead his team in points and PPG, vs a guy that didn't lead his team in PPG.

Sounds about right, yeah.

You understand PPG right?

Also, I assumed we weren't taking draft year into account considering you clearly didn't when you ranked Suzuki and Poehling ahead of Cozens, Podkolzin, and Krebs.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Poehling is probably the most underrated prospect on this board but I do agree with you about his ranking about Brook, it doesn't make sense at all.

Poehling wasn't even a ppg player in college. He is the definition of overrated.

How is Morgan Frost continuing to be underrated. He led the chl in ppg and he was Team Canada's best player at the WJC despite not given a bigger role.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Poehling wasn't even a ppg player in college. He is the definition of overrated.

How is Morgan Frost continuing to be underrated. He led the chl in ppg and he was Team Canada's best player at the WJC despite not given a bigger role.

It sound like you are the homer... Glass was by far Canada's best player, not even close.

It's clear that you haven't see Poehling play yet... just sad.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I was sincerely asking because there are some major hot takes here. Some people spend five minutes putting these lists together and if that was the case then I wasn't going to bother any further. Others spend time. If it is a serious list (which you say it is) how do you have Dorofeyev at 21, Zegras and Broberg as HM's, K'Andre Miller no where on this list (which is probably the craziest thing of all), and Boldy+Newhook ahead of Kravtsov and Suzuki at 20?

Dorofeyev was the 8th prospect on my list at draft time, he's incredibly underrated and I expect him to have a meteoric rise out of this draft. He's a special player, one of the smartest, if not the smartest player in his draft and he has the ability to both score goals and make high level passes.

Zegras is vanilla. What does he do good exactly ? He played with Jack Hughes all year and sure, he had good numbers (Not great.) I have watched so many USDP games and every time I was just wondering where Zegras was. Sure, nice pass here, nice rush there. But Id want MUCH, much more from him. I expect he cracks the top 50 next year, but as of now he's just not it for me. I had him ranked in the 20s in my 2019 ranking as there is obvious passing talent and skating but I'm not sure its enough.

Broberg should be a good D, but his offensive game, to me, is not translatable to the NHL. He's all physical tools and very little brain power. Beautiful skater and great shot, but how many times is he going to paint himself in a corner à la Jonathan Drouin before someone realizes he's not going to be an offensive force in the NHL ? I expect him to crack the top 50 too, next year, but he's never going to be a top pair defenseman. Ive seen smarter player not make it, so I have to see him do something in the Allsvenskan before Ill have him ranked ahead of some guys.

I'm not a fan of K'andre but I should've put im in the HM's for sure, it was an oversight, but many were (Elvenes, Gavrikov, Timmins, Vilardi, Thomas, JAD, etc.) He's not unlike Broberg in the way he plays IMO, but I clearly would have Miller ahead of Philip.

As for Boldy and Newhook, I'm just really high on them. Boldy is the type of player that will do everything you need of him, he's super versatile, wether it would be a playmaker, a two-way forward, a goalscorer or a powerforward, he will do it. He's Farabee on steroids and he should be in the NHL faster than most expect. As a Habs fan, Id trade Suzuki for Newhook and Boldy without even a second of doubt. As for Kravtsov, I don't know, he has high offensive upside, higher than Boldy, I think, but Ill need to see what he can do in the NHL. Theres a lot of dipsy doodling in his game and he'll have to clear that out, but theres no denying the talent there. Newhook is just so good of a skater that I can't rank him behind them, he's the kind of player that just controls a play with his skating and his puck protection.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Ah Kravtsov. He looked pretty underwhelming at the U20s... so did Miller. But yeah both should be higher or on the list for that matter

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You understand PPG right?

Also, I assumed we weren't taking draft year into account considering you clearly didn't when you ranked Suzuki and Poehling ahead of Cozens, Podkolzin, and Krebs.

Poehling had just as good of a D+1 as a D+2, and ditto for Suzuki, so I don't know where you're going with this.

Also, sure, he outproduced him by . 04 :laugh: Such a ridiculous statement. Have you even taken a peek at what Drummondville looks like vs the Océanic ?

1.06 vs 1.77 though, thats something.

Who said Frost was TC's best player ? It clearly was Glass, and even so, thats a pretty poor argument since POEHLING WAS THE FREAKING MVP :laugh:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Poehling had just as good of a D+1 as a D+2, and ditto for Suzuki, so I don't know where you're going with this.

Also, sure, he outproduced him by . 04 :laugh: Such a ridiculous statement. Have you even taken a peek at what Drummondville looks like vs the Océanic ?

1.06 vs 1.77 though, thats something.

Who said Frost was TC's best player ? It clearly was Glass, and even so, thats a pretty poor argument since POEHLING WAS THE FREAKING MVP :laugh:
maybe one of these days cody class will actually outscore Morgan Frost.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Youre not wrong about this, but Glass is a true center and much better two-way than Morgan.

There is nothing you and point to that would suggest either one of them is the better two way forward . Frost is clearly a center at this point with tons of guys of his ilk have recent success.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I also mention that I value goalscoring highly and is there even an inch of a doubt on Suzukis goalscoring when you compare it to Frost ? Also Frost doesn't play like a guy that is going to lead his line in the NHL. He plays a good offensive game but I see it as a support player on a wing.

Poehling and Farabee are really close to me, well, they all are in that range, but yes, you're right, Farabee did outscore him, by a whopping 5 points, but aside from that I'm not sure where you have seen that Farabee has a better toolkit than Poehling ? Both are similar level players that should end up being complimentary top 6er. Difference ? Poehling is a natural center and is a beast of a man.

As for Sandin, i'm not sure you really ever watched him if you think he's actually an offensive catalyst because hes not. He plays the game passively and that leads to volatile point production, but he's going to be a NHL player for sure, just like Romanov, and not unlike Farabee, Romanov should be more useful because he's a better shooter, is more aggressive and is one of the best hitters on this list.

Josh Brook didn't merely "produce well", he dominated the WHL while being used as a forward, as a LD and as a RD, all that on an awfully weak team. Thats actually funny as a comment. He lead the WHL in PPG and raw points and produced 16 goals while being one of the best defensive D in the league. Also, why don't you have any words for Ty Smith ebing ranked above Sandin if you care so much ? Because statistically, Smith had a worse season on a better team.

Josh Brooks season is literally the best WHL season for a Dman scoring-wise since the turn of the millenium.

I'd prefer ty Smith's 69 PT in 57 GM to Josh Brooks 75 PT in 59 GM, given smith is a draft+1 and brook is draft+2.

Also, ty smith was 2nd on his team in scoring only 6 points off the lead, while brook was attached to an amazing top line in moose jaw where 2 players had over 100 points, and he was 4th on the team in points only 10 point ahead of jett woo. So yeah, brook had an offensive season, but not the best offensive season.

I'd even say just drafted byrams season was better. 26 goals and 71 points in 67 games, again 2nd in pts on his team.

If you're going by pt/gm cale clague had a better season last year (71 in 54games)
If you're going by points quenneville also had a better season last year (80).

That's just these past 2 seasons, so NO, Brooks season was not the best offensive season for a dman since the year 2000...Lol

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I also mention that I value goalscoring highly and is there even an inch of a doubt on Suzukis goalscoring when you compare it to Frost ? Also Frost doesn't play like a guy that is going to lead his line in the NHL. He plays a good offensive game but I see it as a support player on a wing.

Poehling and Farabee are really close to me, well, they all are in that range, but yes, you're right, Farabee did outscore him, by a whopping 5 points, but aside from that I'm not sure where you have seen that Farabee has a better toolkit than Poehling ? Both are similar level players that should end up being complimentary top 6er. Difference ? Poehling is a natural center and is a beast of a man.

As for Sandin, i'm not sure you really ever watched him if you think he's actually an offensive catalyst because hes not. He plays the game passively and that leads to volatile point production, but he's going to be a NHL player for sure, just like Romanov, and not unlike Farabee, Romanov should be more useful because he's a better shooter, is more aggressive and is one of the best hitters on this list.

Josh Brook didn't merely "produce well", he dominated the WHL while being used as a forward, as a LD and as a RD, all that on an awfully weak team. Thats actually funny as a comment. He lead the WHL in PPG and raw points and produced 16 goals while being one of the best defensive D in the league. Also, why don't you have any words for Ty Smith ebing ranked above Sandin if you care so much ? Because statistically, Smith had a worse season on a better team.

Josh Brooks season is literally the best WHL season for a Dman scoring-wise since the turn of the millenium.
What? Joel Quenville’s second cousin had more points as a defender in the WHL last year than Brook did this year. Since the turn of the millennium?

Reactions: Frk It

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Over Seider? Please.
What's controversial about it? Heinola scored a lot better in Liiga, which has a much stronger history of producing NHL talent than the German league.

Where the player was drafted has absolutely no effect on their projections. Except in the case that they get to a more competent organization, I guess.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Great list - thanks for posting. My thoughts...

Guys listed too high:

Guys listed too low:

Guys listed WAY too low:

Thanks for your comments.

Congrats on laying out some good work! Ignore the haters. Embrace the lovers. Prospect list posters always catch flak.

Thank you and I will stay strong.

Thanks for your effort here. Always good to hear everyone's opinions on their top prospects.

Thanks for the comment.

If you have Newhook as the 6th best player in the 2019 draft as your final rankings, why is he 4th best in your list? He’s played no games since.

I'm sorry I had him 5th, behind Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte and Byram.

I'd prefer ty Smith's 69 PT in 57 GM to Josh Brooks 75 PT in 59 GM, given smith is a draft+1 and brook is draft+2.

Also, ty smith was 2nd on his team in scoring only 6 points off the lead, while brook was attached to an amazing top line in moose jaw where 2 players had over 100 points, and he was 4th on the team in points only 10 point ahead of jett woo. So yeah, brook had an offensive season, but not the best offensive season.

I'd even say just drafted byrams season was better. 26 goals and 71 points in 67 games, again 2nd in pts on his team.

If you're going by pt/gm cale clague had a better season last year (71 in 54games)
If you're going by points quenneville also had a better season last year (80).

That's just these past 2 seasons, so NO, Brooks season was not the best offensive season for a dman since the year 2000...Lol

Unless Eliteprospect.com is mistaken Brook is 8th in raw points since 03 and is 3rd in PPG. I guess, you arent wrong there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad