MrB1P's top 50 affiliated prospects. Edition 2019-2020.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Poehling wasn't even a ppg player in college. He is the definition of overrated.

How is Morgan Frost continuing to be underrated. He led the chl in ppg and he was Team Canada's best player at the WJC despite not given a bigger role.
Morgan Frost was indeed great at the WJC. You know who was better? Ryan Poehling.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I am sure you are biased and I am sure some of these rankings are inflated by likes/dislikes that are not based in reality.... as you said, you are human. There are aspects I disagree with, but I will say that even if I disagree with them, the justifications you have given in this thread are rather reasonable.

Rather than browbeat you for not confirming my biases, I will just ask you your thoughts on some prospects I am interested in

- Jacob Bernard Docker & Johnny Tychonick
Both at UND, JBD had a great rookie year while playing with many older D... Tychonick, not so much. What do you think of these players?
- Logan Brown
He seems polarizing but a lot of people seem to have lost faith in him, which I see as kind of weird considering he had a very good rookie AHL season and every time I watch him he really impresses me. How do you see him?
- Lassi Thomson
I sort of expected him to be an HM based on what you say you like in players. What are your concerns with him?
- Josh Norris
Have you seen much of him? Is he a safe player? Top 6 upside?
- Alex Formenton
Same questions as Norris
- Isaac Ratcliffe
How do you project him at the NHL level?
- Emil Bemstrom
Kind of surprised he wasn't listed. He had an amazing rookie year in the Swedish tier 1 and seems to really be trending in the right direction. Has shown amazing goal scoring ability too
- Braden Tracey
He is someone I was really interested in going into the draft and wanted him for the Sens at 32nd overall. He seems like he has real scoring upside
- John Beecher
Similar to above - obviously a very different player but a guy I saw as having top 6 upside with the ability to elevate when the going gets tough and provide a much sought afte rdimension
- Shane Pinto
A guy I was looking at as more of a mid-2nd rounder. Do you see the early 2nd round upside? Is he a safe pick or is there boom bust potential? Top 9er? 4th liner? I haven't seen much of him at all
- Kaeden Korczak
As is often the case, Vegas got a DMan I find very intriguing. How do you project him at the NHL level?

No need to answer all or even half of these, I just thought I would throw out some names and, if you have strong thoughts on any of them, I would be interested to hear

Thanks bud

Reactions: Ippenator

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Morgan Frost was indeed great at the WJC. You know who was better? Ryan Poehling.

really? frost had the same amount of points in less games. if that constitutes Poehling as clearly better so be it. Even if you are delusional enough to convince yourself Poehling was better at the wjc than Frost , that 8 game tournament is the only time poehling has ever demonstrated he can produce at the level frost can. Frost just led the whole CHL in ppg. Poehling only once has finished in the top 5 highest scorers on HIS TEAM in college.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
really? frost had the same amount of points in less games. if that constitutes Poehling as clearly better so be it. Even if you are delusional enough to convince yourself Poehling was better at the wjc than Frost , that 8 game tournament is the only time poehling has ever demonstrated he can produce at the level frost can. Frost just led the whole CHL in ppg. Poehling only once has finished in the top 5 highest scorers on HIS TEAM in college.
I have Frost > Poehling ... my ranks are here

But Poehling was tournament MVP

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I like Frost a lot, but I am not gonna throw a fit over someone ranking Poehling ahead of him

Last edited by a moderator:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Anyways, I like Frost a lot, but I am not gonna throw a fit over someone ranking Poehling ahead of him
The only thing holding frost back was the fact he wasn't a top 10 pick. Since he has been drafted very few prospects have been as dominate. So i already have issues with him being ranked so low. And on the flip side to have a guy like poehling ranked where he is ? Brutal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011

He was. Otherwise Frost would have been tournament MVP. It's stupid to call people delusional for such a non-controversial opinion

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
thats great. 8 points in 5 games is better than 8 points in 7 games.
Frost scored most of his points in a 14-0 drubbing of Denmark. Poehling certainly had the better tournament.

Its not really worth a debate. While Frost is the better prospect, Poehling had better WJC. Just ask Team Sweden.

Reactions: Ippenator

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Josh Brook over Noah Dobson and Quinn Hughes.... most biased thing I have ever seen on this website.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Hollel

Jun 15, 2019
Just wanted to stop by and say it's cool you have your own thing going on and it goes without saying that you'll find people who will hate it just to hate. You seemingly know a lot about hockey prospects, knew your list was going a bit against the consensus, and gave a decent outline of what you value in prospects. You have a short blurb for the first ten and the rest in ranking form with no other parameters(rankings for skating, shot, IQ etc). So it then becomes confusing when a guy like Farabee is so much lower than Boldy, or why a guy like Zegras who seemingly hits all your Likes and is typically considered a top prospect would be so low without any initial reasonings(you did later go into details). And these are just a few examples.

My point is this list comes across as either some strange form of homerism, poor research, or wacky for the sake of it so it really shouldn't be a surprise when people treat it as such, and I feel like you had to know this.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Josh Brook over Noah Dobson and Quinn Hughes.... most biased thing I have ever seen on this website.
Hey now. The guy had almost as good of a u20 WHL season as Winnipeg Jets legend Paul Postma.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec

I think Josh Brook will be a very good player for us (I'm a habs fan). I think he's got a shot at being a #2-3, which is still very good. However, Hughes is obviously better. I don't know enough about Dobson to comment, but from what I could hear he's also a bit better than Brook at least.

PhillyFaninMTL

Mar 30, 2016
Montreal
Losing early on makes you better? I'll take the guy that brought his team to 7 games

I honestly love Poehling and think he earned the MVP at the WJC, but this is a terrible take.

Is Binnington a better goaltender than Price, since he led his team to a championship while Price didnt even make the playoffs? Is Conn Smythe winner Ryan O'Reilly better than Mcdavid because he was the MVP of the Stanley Cup winning team?

Reactions: Omark

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I am sure you are biased and I am sure some of these rankings are inflated by likes/dislikes that are not based in reality.... as you said, you are human. There are aspects I disagree with, but I will say that even if I disagree with them, the justifications you have given in this thread are rather reasonable.

Rather than browbeat you for not confirming my biases, I will just ask you your thoughts on some prospects I am interested in

- Jacob Bernard Docker & Johnny Tychonick
Both at UND, JBD had a great rookie year while playing with many older D... Tychonick, not so much. What do you think of these players?
- Logan Brown
He seems polarizing but a lot of people seem to have lost faith in him, which I see as kind of weird considering he had a very good rookie AHL season and every time I watch him he really impresses me. How do you see him?
- Lassi Thomson
I sort of expected him to be an HM based on what you say you like in players. What are your concerns with him?
- Josh Norris
Have you seen much of him? Is he a safe player? Top 6 upside?
- Alex Formenton
Same questions as Norris
- Isaac Ratcliffe
How do you project him at the NHL level?
- Emil Bemstrom
Kind of surprised he wasn't listed. He had an amazing rookie year in the Swedish tier 1 and seems to really be trending in the right direction. Has shown amazing goal scoring ability too
- Braden Tracey
He is someone I was really interested in going into the draft and wanted him for the Sens at 32nd overall. He seems like he has real scoring upside
- John Beecher
Similar to above - obviously a very different player but a guy I saw as having top 6 upside
- Shane Pinto
A guy I was looking at as more of a mid-2nd rounder. Do you see the early 2nd round upside? Is he a safe pick or is there boom bust potential? Top 9er? 4th liner? I haven't seen much of him at all
- Kaeden Korczak
As is often the case, Vegas got a DMan I find very intriguing. How do you project him at the NHL level?

No need to answer all or even half of these, I just thought I would throw out some names and, if you have strong thoughts on any of them, I would be interested to hear

Thanks bud

Thanks for that, I appreciate it.

Thats a pretty lengthy list so Ill probably be a bit briefer than I would like but here we go

JBD and Jonny Tychonick
JBD had a great year, theres nothing more to say, kid can skate, he's smart, he has a great toolkit and I really like how he showed a more mature game this year. I don't think he's too far off a guy like Sandin, even if that will rustle jimmies. But to be fair, I'm a bit underwhelmed by his season so far, though I will admit I haven't watched him extensively, as I mostly focus on draft year prospects every year, but I believe he could've done more offensively, he seemed to sit back a bit, not thats its bad or anything, but his tools are so good that he could be a lot more. With that said, kids good. He's going to be a player, he may just not be as good as I thought he'd be initially ? But well see as this was his first year.

Funny enough, I believe I had both players sitting at #24 and #25. I think that I may have overshot on Jonny. But he had a pretty tough year with the transition from the BCHL and I'm not going to act like he's a bust, not yet. Lets not forget that he's an absolute weapon on the PP and I believe he didn't play much at ND.

Logan Brown is a big oaf and I don't like him, here I said it :laugh: No seriously, I don't see the upside, he's a bit better than McCarron, but this rarely works. With that said, he's young and he's skilled, so it may work, but I doubt it. I see a third liner or a 2nd line center that plays with really good linemates. Not a bad pick, but clearly not a good one either. I also question his production in Binghamton, it looks good on paper, but the Batherson effect is real, IMO.

Lassi Thomson has great offensive upside, pretty bad defensively. I love defenders that can score goals and he sure can do that. Great future in front of him, even if his defense doesn't catch up. (It will.)

Josh Norris Another top 9 C IMO. He's similar to Poehling, I think he has a bit less offense in him though.

Alex Formenton Another speedy top 9er, useful player in the NHL for sure. The Sens are trying to build an identity that will work for sure, those big guys that can skate will be huge in the NHL Pos IMO. They just need to secure at least one forward that will be able to carry them.

Isaac Ratcliffe I have a hard time evaluating him. He's not unlike Brown, but he's not as skilled IMO. The fact that hes a winger may help him in the NHL though. Anyway, long term project, IMO.

Emil Bemstrom Ive seen him a few times while watching Tobias Bjornfot but I'd be lying if I have a good grasp of what he can do. His numbers do look promising and I recall he was dangerous in the WJC.

Brayden Tracey Good player, but once again, a bit of a lack of upside if I can say this. Ive seen him quite a bit because a lot of people on the Habs board were crushing over him but I haven't seen it, not as a first rounder. If he makes it hes going to be what? Mostly a support player. Unless he shows a next level of offense in his D+1

John Beecher One of my favorite players in this draft, not unlike Norris IMO. Such a good skater, such a good puck carrier. I wonder if theres not more offensive upside in him than what he showed. If not, you got a good bottom 6er.

Shane Pinto Another favorite of mine. Such a big body, so lanky, and A LOT of skills. He'll need to learn to use his body to create space IMO, and I think he may struggle in his D+1, but he's a good, good project. Such a good goalscorer. I see 25+ goals in him.

Kaeden Korczak Annnd you guessed it, another favorite of mine, yet again... Big body, great skater and he has untapped offensive potential that I think will explode next year, his defensive game is already great, all he needs to do is show that he can use his big shot and his skating to create offense. My money is on him.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

He was better than Dobson in the CHL this year and he was also better than Dobson and Hughes in the WJC. Ive never been high on Hughes either, and Dobson has kinda threw me off the wagon with his early season and WJC.

Just wanted to stop by and say it's cool you have your own thing going on and it goes without saying that you'll find people who will hate it just to hate. You seemingly know a lot about hockey prospects, knew your list was going a bit against the consensus, and gave a decent outline of what you value in prospects. You have a short blurb for the first ten and the rest in ranking form with no other parameters(rankings for skating, shot, IQ etc). So it then becomes confusing when a guy like Farabee is so much lower than Boldy, or why a guy like Zegras who seemingly hits all your Likes and is typically considered a top prospect would be so low without any initial reasonings(you did later go into details). And these are just a few examples.

My point is this list comes across as either some strange form of homerism, poor research, or wacky for the sake of it so it really shouldn't be a surprise when people treat it as such, and I feel like you had to know this.

Zegras isn't a great goalscorer and he plays on the perimeter more often than not, so no, he does not check all my likes.

I mean Ive watched every players on this list at least twice in league play, if not more, and all the WJC/WJC 18/WC games in the last 12 months and this is what Ive seen.

I also recall people telling me I was crazy when I said Drouin wouldn't do anything and when he was at the top of every list in 2013 and 2014, Im fine with getting called crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad