MrB1P's top 50 affiliated prospects. Edition 2019-2020.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
This thread:

"Here's my list."
"This list is terrible, homer prospect rankings and seems really uninformed."
"**** you man, my list, my rules!"

In other words: Why post something like this and then get upset when people starting calling you out for a bad prospect list.

I got upset because blank "homer" statements are just insults, nothing more. If you want to say I'm wrong, fine, say it, but bring some substance. Also, I'm not sure about your point, yes, its my list and yes its my rules, thats the point of it.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I like the top 10 (Newhook is sick) except for Q. Hughes. I personally feel like he should be the next D after Makar but if not- at least after Byram.

Kid absolutely has some things to round out but IMO he is on another planet talent wise.

So just wondering why you’re a bit lower on him?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I like the top 10 (Newhook is sick) except for Q. Hughes. I personally feel like he should be the next D after Makar but if not- at least after Byram.

Kid absolutely has some things to round out but IMO he is on another planet talent wise.

So just wondering why you’re a bit lower on him?
He's small, he plays the perimeter, he does a lot of dipsy doodling. I'm a simple man, you take the puck, you put it in the net. Obviously he has elite, like next level skating and puck handling. But is this good enough to make an elite player? I'm not sure. Barzal is similar and did have success, but he's a center, and he attacks the net with regularity and I think thats important. If Hughes was a forward, Id be all over him, but I'm not sure as a Dman. There's just no precedent to a player that plays like this. His shooting also, its below average and if youre on the outside and you have no shot, you become predictable. Obviously his skating is so good that maybe he can work around that, but Ill have to see it first.

Reactions: Ippenator

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
The Ducks have the best forward prospect group in entire league and don't have a single player in your top 50..... lol

Reactions: joshik

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The Ducks have the best forward prospect group in entire league and don't have a single player in your top 50..... lol
I don't think they do at all.

Vegas alone has a much better pool IMO.
Glass, Krebs, Dorofeyev, Elvenes, Leschyshyn, Morozov, Kruse, Jones, Dugan, Donovan, Kallionkeli.

Also Philly with Farabee, Brink, Frost, etc.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I don't think they do at all.

Vegas alone has a much better pool IMO.
Glass, Krebs, Dorofeyev, Elvenes, Leschyshyn, Morozov, Kruse, Jones, Dugan, Donovan, Kallionkeli.

Also Philly with Farabee, Brink, Frost, etc.

Trevor Zegras, Sam Steel, Troy Terry, Maxime Comtois, Isac Lundestrom, Max Jones, Brayden Tracey, Keifer Sherwood, Chase De Leo

Reactions: Gravity

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He was better than Dobson in the CHL this year and he was also better than Dobson and Hughes in the WJC. Ive never been high on Hughes either, and Dobson has kinda threw me off the wagon with his early season and WJC..

Brook was the #1 defenseman on the team that won the Memorial Cup? Oh no, that's right, that was Dobson.

Reactions: PWJunior

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Brook was the #1 defenseman on the team that won the Memorial Cup? Oh no, that's right, that was Dobson.

Does that make him the better player? Because he was on the best team in the league?

Trevor Zegras, Sam Steel, Troy Terry, Maxime Comtois, Isac Lundestrom, Max Jones, Brayden Tracey, Keifer Sherwood, Chase De Leo
Max Jones doesnt count as he played 30 games.

Also, thats not a 1st in the league list.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I honestly love Poehling and think he earned the MVP at the WJC, but this is a terrible take.

Is Binnington a better goaltender than Price, since he led his team to a championship while Price didnt even make the playoffs? Is Conn Smythe winner Ryan O'Reilly better than Mcdavid because he was the MVP of the Stanley Cup winning team?

I'm critiquing the argument that Frost was obviously better than Poehling at the WJC.

Binnington and ROR were 100% better than Price and McDavid in the playoffs this year

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Does that make him the better player? Because he was on the best team in the league?.

Part of why. The other part would be he is a better skater with a superior skill set. Same with Hughes.

Reactions: PWJunior

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Part of why. The other part would be he is a better skater with a superior skill set. Same with Hughes.
Not sure. How can you say Brook is an inferior skater to Dobson? I don't have the ability to differentiate. Both are elite big bodies that skate really well. I like Brooks offensive instinct and shot better, the rest is quite the same IMO.

As for Hughes, sure he's a better skater/playmaker and has better offensive instincts but I think both Brook and Dobson can do more.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

So, I watch a lot of WHL; Brook plays in the Jaw.
I watch him often; his D+2 was really great... but man, he was miles away from guys recently like Foote, Smith and Valimaki; and those guys were in their D+1 when they dominated that league; it makes a huge difference. He's kind of in that same stratosphere as someone like Kyle Clague (who was a D+2 as well when he started tearing up the WHL, and by taking a peak, was missing from his last years' top 50 :laugh:)

Personally, I'm not sure I'd have him as a top 50 drafted prospect, let alone near the top 10. Not when there are guys like Dobson, Bouchard, Brannstrom, Valimaki, Foote, Hughes on the board who are miles behind him. I think OP missed the boat pretty bad on this list. It's fine to put stock into certain things (Like pure skill and speed), and not in others (NHL readiness, size, etc); but this is all over the place and not great.

Last edited:

molotce

Apr 14, 2017
Good work, no one is ever gonna agree in every list because they play in different countrys, at different levels etc... theres of course a bunch i am surprised and i do think the fact you are a montreal habs fan made you put brooks a little too high even tough he is great. But i am wondering why you havent put kyrou in there, a guy thats has lots of speed great hands and shot, that played great everywhere and showed flashes last year in the nhl that hes game could translate, i think he should be above kostin. In the present and mostlikely future upside ?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Honestly, this is probably the worst list I’ve seen.

Not even having Bouchard and some others in your top 50 is objectively terrible.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Brook isn’t even the 13th best D prospect.
Thats quite the hot take
In no order on top of my head :
Cale Makar
Quinn Hughes
Bowen Byram
Ty Smith
Erik Brannstrom
Noah Dobson
Adam Boqvist
Dante Fabbro
K'Andre Miller
Evan Bouchard
Juuso Valimaki
Adam Fox
Filip Hronek
Jake Bean

IMO all those I named have a strong case against Brook.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So, I watch a lot of WHL; Brook plays in the Hat.
I watch him often; his D+2 was really great... but man, he was miles away from guys recently like Foote, Smith and Valimaki; and those guys were in their D+1 when they dominated that league; it makes a huge difference. He's kind of in that same stratosphere as someone like Kyle Clague (who was a D+2 as well when he started tearing up the WHL, and by taking a peak, was missing from his last years' top 50 :laugh:)

Personally, I'm not sure I'd have him as a top 50 drafted prospect, let alone near the top 10. Not when there are guys like Dobson, Bouchard, Brannstrom, Valimaki, Foote, Hughes on the board who are miles behind him. I think OP missed the boat pretty bad on this list. It's fine to put stock into certain things (Like pure skill and speed), and not in others (NHL readiness, size, etc); but this is all over the place and not great.

If you think Brook was as good as Clague and not just flat out better I can't help you. To suggest that Foote was better in his D+1 season is actually crazy too. Its as if youre trying to balance my opinion with an opinion on the other end of the spectrum. Brook is a few months older than Smith and he was just as good, its fine to use the draft year to argue, but you have to realize Brook was a few days away from the 2018 draft himself. Brook is superior defensively, physically and has more actual skills than a Foote and Clague. He also has a better instincts than Bouchard and Valimaki, IMO.

Good work, no one is ever gonna agree in every list because they play in different countrys, at different levels etc... theres of course a bunch i am surprised and i do think the fact you are a montreal habs fan made you put brooks a little too high even tough he is great. But i am wondering why you havent put kyrou in there, a guy thats has lots of speed great hands and shot, that played great everywhere and showed flashes last year in the nhl that hes game could translate, i think he should be above kostin. In the present and mostlikely future upside ?

I don't like Kyrou, again, Ive used the word "vanilla" before and damn, this guy is vanilla. I mean he's likely gonna be a 40-50 points producer if you give him a chance, but god I see a lot of Jonathan Drouin in there and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad