MrB1P's top 50 affiliated prospects. Edition 2019-2020.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Last years list looks terrible in hindsight. There is absolutely no way have watched and analysed each and everyone of these prospects to accurately rank them, did you regularly watch full KHL, BCHL, SHL, NCAA and FEL games?
BCHL Ive watched only Victoria this year
KHL Ive watched a few games for sure
SHL games are easily available but its probably the league that I watched the least, mostly Soderstrom, Holmstrom, Broberg, Bjornfot, Lundmark, Hoglander and Johansson, so quite a lot but not extensively.
FEL was mostly to watch Heinola and Puistola but these are harder to come by
NCAA is easy to watch and the Habs had plenty of prospects in there. Mainly Harris and Poehling.

So yeah.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
BCHL Ive watched only Victoria this year
KHL Ive watched a few games for sure
SHL games are easily available but its probably the league that I watched the least, mostly Soderstrom, Holmstrom, Broberg, Bjornfot, Lundmark, Hoglander and Johansson, so quite a lot but not extensively.
FEL was mostly to watch Heinola and Puistola but these are harder to come by
NCAA is easy to watch and the Habs had plenty of prospects in there. Mainly Harris and Poehling.

So yeah.

So you've a few games here and there for most of these leagues, let's be real, Broberg doesn't even play in SHL, Bjönfot played like what 5 shifts a game in the 7 games he got. What I'm trying to say is that's impossible for one man to cover all these leagues, like even DEL for example. So why are you adamant on defending all these choices when there's no way you have enough sample size to accurately rank them.

Fair play on making the list, I'm sure you've put in work. But why go to such extents defending every little choice when surely you don't have all the information.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So you've a few games here and there for most of these leagues, let's be real, Broberg doesn't even play in SHL, Bjönfot played like what 5 shifts a game in the 7 games he got. What I'm trying to say is that's impossible for one man to cover all these leagues, like even DEL for example. So why are you adamant on defending all these choices when there's no way you have enough sample size to accurately rank them.

Fair play on making the list, I'm sure you've put in work. But why go to such extents defending every little choice when surely you don't have all the information.
I did watch all these players though, the fact that you don't have the time doesn't mean I don't have the time.

Seider is one I must admit that I didnt watch much, I watched one game that was available on prospectshifts.com and his WC games but thats it. Other than that, theres no one I did not watch at least two+ times in league play and more in international.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
I already have Smith in my top 15, just behind Brook.

Also who says Brook struggled in the AHL ? Ive seen one of his game live and three on TV, he was an absolute monster defensively, and he was physical as hell. But I guess he didn't produce much in the games he played, so he "struggled".

Are you aware of Brook's injury history?

Nah, go Canucks go, amirite ?

Most the pundits have Makar, Byrum & Hughes as the top 3 D prospects and consider each of them as possible #1 D if they reach their ceiling. Doubt any NHL GM's or scouts think that Brooks has anything more than 2nd-pair upside.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
I did watch all these players though, the fact that you don't have the time doesn't mean I don't have the time.

Seider is one I must admit that I didnt watch much, I watched one game that was available on prospectshifts.com and his WC games but thats it. Other than that, theres no one I did not watch at least two+ times in league play and more in international.

Two games (assuming you do), what if x player had bad games?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Most the pundits have Makar, Byrum & Hughes as the top 3 D prospects and consider each of them as possible #1 D if they reach their ceiling. Doubt any NHL GM's or scouts think that Brooks has anything more than 2nd-pair upside.
Most pundits and GMs thought Yakupov was a future 40 goals scorer.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Two games (assuming you do), what if x player had bad games?
Then I'd watch another, or he'd be ranked lower than he should. It happened with Dach early in the year, I had him ranked around 10, guy didn't show me much, people told me to watch him again, I did, I saw, I ranked him top 6.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
He's small, he plays the perimeter, he does a lot of dipsy doodling. I'm a simple man, you take the puck, you put it in the net. Obviously he has elite, like next level skating and puck handling. But is this good enough to make an elite player? I'm not sure. Barzal is similar and did have success, but he's a center, and he attacks the net with regularity and I think thats important. If Hughes was a forward, Id be all over him, but I'm not sure as a Dman. There's just no precedent to a player that plays like this. His shooting also, its below average and if youre on the outside and you have no shot, you become predictable. Obviously his skating is so good that maybe he can work around that, but Ill have to see it first.

I feel comfortable commenting on the B1G and I think that’s why so many are high on him (including me). He’s not the safest player, he’ll get caught sometimes (maybe too often) but damn if there’s not ridiculous upside there. The way he plays is different for a D.

The upside/potiential, not the warts, is why I value him so much.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I feel comfortable commenting on the B1G and I think that’s why so many are high on him (including me). He’s not the safest player, he’ll get caught sometimes (maybe too often) but damn if there’s not ridiculous upside there. The way he plays is different for a D.

The upside/potiential, not the warts, is why I value him so much.

Honestly I don't even give much of a crap about the defensive deficiencies, I just look at him play and I just don't see anyone else ever playing like that on D and I don't know if hell be able to produce. But then again, I certainly didn't expect him to produce the way he did at Michigan, so maybe I'm just being too stubborn (Like with Pettersson.)

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
You have to love people coming in here just to post that OP is a homer because he ranked a MTL prospect higher than their own prospect. The irony is strong in here.

Good on Mrb1p for defending is OPINION through the last 6 pages.

Actually, numerous people have called him out for ranking his prospects higher than prospects that have no association with their teams.

Brook is not a better prospect than Smith, Hughes, Dobson, or Brannstrom. None of those are Detroit prospects.

Suzuki and Poehling are not better prospects than Cozens, Podkolzin, Krebs, or Zegras. None of those are Detroit prospects. Hell, Poehling isn't even better than Farabee.

Romanov just doesn't even belong on this list at all. He's a homer. He went full homer. He got called out for it by numerous people, and it's not just because he's ranked Montreal prospects above so-and-so's prospects. He ranked them over numerous prospects they don't belong above.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Hague too high. His production was very disappointing for 98 birthday. FA signing Dylan Coghlan in same team had similar production. Alex Barre-Boulet another player with intriguing production in AHL.

I have no idea whats the point this. I guess its to start pointless fights with fanbased feeling insulted

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hague too high. His production was very disappointing for 98 birthday. FA signing Dylan Coghlan in same team had similar production. Alex Barre-Boulet another player with intriguing production in AHL.

I have no idea whats the point this. I guess its to start pointless fights with fanbased feeling insulted
Or maybe theres no ulterior motive.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Actually, numerous people have called him out for ranking his prospects higher than prospects that have no association with their teams.

Brook is not a better prospect than Smith, Hughes, Dobson, or Brannstrom. None of those are Detroit prospects.

Suzuki and Poehling are not better prospects than Cozens, Podkolzin, Krebs, or Zegras. None of those are Detroit prospects. Hell, Poehling isn't even better than Farabee.

Romanov just doesn't even belong on this list at all. He's a homer. He went full homer. He got called out for it by numerous people, and it's not just because he's ranked Montreal prospects above so-and-so's prospects. He ranked them over numerous prospects they don't belong above.
Romanov doesnt belong? Why not?

Viggo Mortensen

Gandalf the Grey
Dec 14, 2008
Gondor

Convenient how you removed Zadina from this reply, yet you included him in one of your complaints on page1....

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
You'd be hard pressed to find a single Leafs fan that has Robertson ahead of Liljegren. I also doubt that you'd find more than one (looking at mybudjt) that believes he's a better prospect than Bracco today too.

I'd say those are giant omissions from at least the HM list, but "Leafs bias, blah blah". Good work, hard to come up with a list like this and make the majority of people happy.

Lol just saw Brook snuck in there at 13, lmao.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I think those attacking the OP are a bit off-based. Everyone has some biases and are naturally going to gravitate towards ranking players they have seen more often a bit more favourably, ie some of the habs prospect rankings. I don't always agree with Mrb1p on the habs forum either, but some constructive criticism would be nice rather than attacking him for having an opinion that differs. All those critical of his rankings, where are your lists? So he has a bunch of prospects that you don't agree with, a few of them are Habs prospects, so freaking what?

I'm not big on Poehling for example, but to say he doesn't belong on the list at all is a bit much.

He's putting his opinions out in public for everyone to see and all gets is bs replies, come on. At least he's putting his thoughts to paper and defending his position. He's even already admitted to a few omissions.

Kudos to you OP for putting this out there, it's more than what those responding with one liners have done.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Its one spot difference, and thats not what makes him better.

Better tools, better production is what does.

There's no significant difference between their production, aside from Smith being both the younger prospect and the one who had the weaker team offensively. Spokanes best scorer would be tied with Brook for 4th best on Moose Jaw last year. The next best producing D after Smith was a 20 year old, while Woo scored over the ppg clip. Yet, I'm not seeing Woo anywhere on your list, even in the HMs. He has physical tools and production.

And if we're talking both tools and production, then how can we explain Kravtsov outside of the top 10. He's 6'3", has high end skills including high IQ plays and produced very well both in his D and D+1 year in a pro league. Miller, who just produced at a ppg clip as a freshman, also doesn't make the top 50, or the HMs.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I am not sure I have ever seen a list like this before, and 9 pages of arguments and shit talk following it..

I will say, good for you OP, go big or go home - tell everyone to f off!! I do enjoy reading some of the most notorious homer/troll posters coming in here and laughing at the OP calling him a homer...you can't make this shit up if you tried. This is the best worst list I have ever seen!!!!

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad