MrB1P's top 50 affiliated prospects. Edition 2019-2020.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Wasn't that just the rankings based on how they were viewed going into the draft or am I misremembering?

It is. He is 1 year removed from his draft. Do you think he had all the talent sucked out of his body like in the movie Space Jam in that time frame?

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
I got upset because blank "homer" statements are just insults, nothing more. If you want to say I'm wrong, fine, say it, but bring some substance. Also, I'm not sure about your point, yes, its my list and yes its my rules, thats the point of it.
Stay strong man. If you post a non-consensus list that's colored with your own opinions, there will be detractors. Some of the rankings that you are crucified for will end up being way off. And some of them will end up being right on. So, for example, if four years from now Josh Brook is widely considered a top 20 defenseman, you can quietly take comfort in the fact that you called it. No one else will remember. Just keep being you and fkkkem.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Calls op a homer then proceeds to say his own prospect, Zadina has elite talent.

That's a lot of habs prospects in there and Brook being that high is highly questionable, but to call him out and then ignore your own homerism is rather.... HFish.

I'm gonna go ahead and bet a lot more people would agree Zadina has elite talent as compared to Suzuki or Poehling. But I suppose some would rather just stay in that pipe dream.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Convenient how you removed Zadina from this reply, yet you included him in one of your complaints on page1....

So you didn't understand that the point of that entire post was to debunk the theory that people calling him out for being a homer are just upset about their own prospects?

Because that was pretty clear... Not that hard to understand at all.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It is. He is 1 year removed from his draft. Do you think he had all the talent sucked out of his body like in the movie Space Jam in that time frame?
To be fair, Pronman notoriously moves guys around really quick post-draft. I still remember how much he bumped Cliff Pu once-off half a season. For example, in January he had Zadina behind Quinn Hughes, Tippett and Necas, and somehow he went from a 2nd round grade on Hayton, to having Hayton as his 5th best-drafted prospect.

As for the list, I don't think OP is consciously biased, but there is almost no way to come to all the conclusions he did about Habs prospects and not be biased on some level. It can happen when you watch mostly your own teams guys. There is just too many examples where the Habs guy wins out over quite a few other guys you can debate them with. For example, Brook over pretty much all the 2018 D except Boqvist or Poehling and Suzuki over guys like Hayton, Zadina, etc. Then again, there are some rankings that are non-Habs related that boggle my mind. First one that really stands out is Hague, who really can't skate well which is a huge hindrance to defenders. I still remember him constantly getting beat wide by OHL players while he was in Sauga.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Ok, so substantiate your original point on Zadina. Let’s see what you come up with.

I'm gonna go ahead and bet a lot more people would agree Zadina has elite talent as compared to Suzuki or Poehling. But I suppose some would rather just stay in that pipe dream.

Zadina has nothing elite about him.

In comparison, I'm not even sure if Kotkaniemi has anything elite about him.

Personally, I would rank Zadina ahead of Poehling, Suzuki could easily be ranked ahead of Zadina.

Suzuki is only 3 months older than Zadina and a quick glance would put Zadina's team as the better one during their draft seasons.

Suzuki just had one heck of a playoffs.

Suzuki likely would have been better off in the AHL this year, too. Rules preventing him. Will be interesting to see how he does this year.

Suzuki would need Laval to play well and for him to completely bomb.

Would be interesting to see your reasoning how Zadina is better.

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal

Personally, I would rank Zadina ahead of Poehling, Suzuki could easily be ranked ahead of Zadina.

Suzuki is only 3 months older than Zadina and a quick glance would put Zadina's team as the better one during their draft seasons.

Suzuki likely would have been better off in the AHL this year, too. Rules preventing him. Will be interesting to see how he does this year.

I would take Suzuki over Zadina as well. I can't wait to re-visit this debate in a year.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
I would take Suzuki over Zadina as well. I can't wait to re-visit this debate in a year.

You've been posting a lot of hot takes and opinions with zero insight of quite a few Detroit prospects recently. Why do you even bother, do you actually think people care about your opinion when you can't articulate a single solid argument as to why? Seems like such a waste of time.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
HF voted the Habs pool #4 in the NHL. They have to have some high end prospects if they are #4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
HF voted the Habs pool #4 in the NHL. They have to have some high end prospects if they are #4.

And the Rangers were voted the #1 pool. And yet they're outnumbered 5 to 3 in this list's Top 50, and 5 to 2 in the Top 32. Curious how that works

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
How much have you watched AHL this season? Which games? Can I have a list of them?

It would be impossible to list all the games Ive watched, but I obviously watched Josh Brooks first game against the Marlies (Or was it his first ? Can't remember.), plus two others I think, Id have to look at my notes, then AHL playoffs mostly to see the Wolves and the Checkers run, which was pretty good.

There's no significant difference between their production, aside from Smith being both the younger prospect and the one who had the weaker team offensively. Spokanes best scorer would be tied with Brook for 4th best on Moose Jaw last year. The next best producing D after Smith was a 20 year old, while Woo scored over the ppg clip. Yet, I'm not seeing Woo anywhere on your list, even in the HMs. He has physical tools and production.

And if we're talking both tools and production, then how can we explain Kravtsov outside of the top 10. He's 6'3", has high end skills including high IQ plays and produced very well both in his D and D+1 year in a pro league. Miller, who just produced at a ppg clip as a freshman, also doesn't make the top 50, or the HMs.

Well, theres a few points more for Brook but yeah, you're right, its insignificant. I'd like to address something though, I don't think it's fair to say that Spokane was the worst team, it certainly didn't look like that when I watched them play. On paper it may look like MJ is a better team but I'm pretty sure they had a similar number of wins in a similar conference, and to top it all off, aside from the two D's, I'd take JAD way before anyone else on the Warriors, even if he was there only for 30 games, that's huge. I think the difference is pretty insignificant there too.

Do you believe Woo would be worthy of a top 50 spot ? I surely do not. He was nowhere near any of the Dman listed in the top 50.

Kravtsov produced and he's a top 15 prospect, hardly an insult to be behind who he's behind. Are you going to make the same argument for Vesalainen, because he outproduced him as a rookie. I mean, just for the sake of it, I had Kotkaniemi in a similar spot last year and I was always a lot higher on Jesperi than Vitali, so it's not exactly insulting.

Miller isn't better than Valimaki or Fox, who are my two last D ranked, so i hardly see how he could make it. Can't list every single player in the HMs too. But while were at it, Miller was impressive in his offensive production in Wisconsin, and I didn't really focus on him this year aside from one game I watched Gorniack play against Michigan state I believe (Miller scored a goal, I recall.). He's going to make the top 50 next year for sure, unless he falls off a cliff.

Zadina is a better shooter than Poehling for sure, lets not even pretend Ryan is close, but their overall impact, do you truly believe it's that far off ? As for Suzuki, I can't agree. They both have similar tools, but Suzuki is a much, much better playmaker.

Kravtsov outside of the top 5...yikes. K'Andre not even in your top 50? I'll show myself out.

You think Kravtsov is better than Hughes, Kakko, Makar, Necas and Glass ? Lets not even get into Byram, Boqvist and Turcotte as I don't think its particularly close here either.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
And the Rangers were voted the #1 pool. And yet they're outnumbered 5 to 3 in this list's Top 50, and 5 to 2 in the Top 32. Curious how that works
Kakko and Kravtsov are in the top 15... works like that. Only Colorado is more impressive in the top 15, theres also fantastic depth in NY comparatively to a lot of other teams with high end prospect like NJD, I also have a team ranking coming out soon and the Rangers are placed similarly to the HF poll.

Last edited:

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

True, but HF is also voting for individual prospects right now and the first Habs prospect off the board just went at #23.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs have several grade A guys who are having great draft +1 and + 2 seasons. If another team had the prospects we had, they would be the ranked higher.

Last edited by a moderator:

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Lots of hot takes, thanks for sharing this. Not many people would post their lists & stick around to field questions about it.
Especially since most people aren't even asking questions, they are just coming in and insulting him, as if it is okay to be rude to someone simply because their opinion differs from the "consensus". It is obnoxious.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What is your thought on Jesper Boqvist?
I like him. I see him as one of the most NHL ready of the offensive player around, he's not too far off Texier. He's in a pool with guys like Kyrou, Bracco, ABB and Benson. Ultimately he won't be a fixture on a top line and this is what keeps him out of the top 50, I think.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018

I like Suzuki a lot, him and Zadina aren't far apart, but I do think Zadina's season needs some context.

Grand Rapids had the 2nd worst power play in the AHL and for whatever reason, Zadina got the majority of time on the second power play unit. The first few games of the season, because of veteran privilege, Ben Simon had Chris Terry in the right circle spot, where Zadina had scored the majority of his goals for Halifax and in WJCs, and Zadina on the left circle. Eventually Zadina was rewarded that spot in December. It wasn't a good situation for him either way in Grand Rapids, and yet he still produced well at even strength.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad