Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
oh I know what happened...psychological frail folks have anger management problems and interpret Ridleys exclamation point on the win a sign of disrespect...and for some that justifies an attempt to injure another union brother with a blow to the head with a carbon weapon..

LOL

bunch of pansies...
Yeah, you don't have a very good grasp of the situation or the game in general.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
If it was a slapshot, you would have to be.

I can't imagine Matthews, Marner or Nylander would take a slapshot at an ENG from 6 feet out.

In fact, I can't imagine any player would. Can we name any other players to have done this in the last 10 years?

Matthews has 8 career ENG and none of them has been a slapshot. I cannot see that changing.
so if someone does, which is within the rules of the game he should be assaulted with a carbon weapon to the head?

what a f***ed up view

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Not sure why this is still a debate.

1) Rielly should not have put a stick in the face of Greig. This is obvious.
2) A slapshot into an empty net is universally disliked by the majority of NHLers [Including some Ottawa Senators]. There is no rulebook stating that you can't do this, but you should definitely expect a response when showboating.

Every single team in the NHL would respond to a player trying to embarass them in the manner that Greig did. Most would likely not put a stick into his face however.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Yeah, you don't have a very good grasp of the situation or the game in general.
on the contrary, I do

unfortunately, others don't have is the ability to access the common sense that they were born with...

a slapshot on a net with a goalie or without a goalie does not warrant or justify Morgan to attack Ridley's head with a carbon weapon.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Yeah the reality is outside of the Sens young players, the majority of NHLers are more on Rielly's side here.

Where are the other 350 opinions? Yeah majority. Have the majority of them spoken of the situation? Have you heard every interview? Making stuff up is easy.

Some NHLers and ex NHLs that have no problem with the slap shot either.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006

2) A slapshot into an empty net is universally disliked by the majority of NHLers [Including some Ottawa Senators]. There is no rulebook stating that you can't do this, but you should definitely expect a response when showboating.

Every single team in the NHL would respond to a player trying to embarass them in the manner that Greig did. Most would likely not put a stick into his face however.
you forgot to add

3) NHL players should be respectful to the game and union brothers in defeat instead of reacting like sore losers and trying to injure someone...

Reactions: CanadaIsIrrelevant

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005

Pretty sure he expected a response, as anyone should. Just not lumber to the face.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
so if someone does, which is within the rules of the game he should be assaulted with a carbon weapon to the head?

what a f***ed up view
I think it's really funny that you keep putting "carbon weapon" in place of hockey stick as if that somehow changes anything. Your body is made of carbon, is a fist a carbon weapon? Trees are made up of carbon, is shooting a spitball a carbon weapon?

Your posts scream hubris

And the parts about union brothers are just... SO internet.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I think it's really funny that you keep putting "carbon weapon" in place of hockey stick as if that somehow changes anything. Your body is made of carbon, is a fist a carbon weapon? Trees are made up of carbon, is shooting a spitball a carbon weapon?

Your posts scream hubris

And the parts about union brothers are just... SO internet.
does Carbon Fibre Hockey stick make you happy?

call it what you want, its assault with a weapon to the head

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

This guy gets it, like most.

on the contrary, I do

unfortunately, others don't have is the ability to access the common sense that they were born with...

a slapshot on a net with a goalie or without a goalie does not warrant or justify Morgan to attack Ridley's head with a carbon weapon.
This guy doesn't.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
does Carbon Fibre Hockey stick make you happy?

call it what you want, its assault with a weapon to the head
So is a carbon based lifeform fist to the face, but that seems to be the suggested course of action for Rielly to have taken.

Perhaps you are the enlightened one who is here to tell us stupid, archaic, savages about the utopian unionized future that we could live in if we were only to leave behind all of this toxic culture. But really, that sounds like the Jehova's Witnesses and I'm perfectly happy watching men fight each other for entertainment purposes. Good luck on achieving your progress!

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
If Matthews, Marner, or Nylander took a shot into an empty net that a dman on the other team thought was inappropriate, are you okay with any of those three getting a cross-check to the head while they celebrate? Under the strict understanding that there is no guarantee of it being an "injury-free" cross-check to the head?
It was to the shoulder, it rode up.

And yeah, play stupid games, win stupid prizes

what accidental head shot are you referring to?

I am good, dont need an assessment, when I play a game or a sport and I get beat, I congratulate my opponent on their efforts and create continuous quality improvement strategies for myself and my team to get better. So the next time we wont be sore losers...

I don't intentionally physically assault my opponent and try to scramble his brains
Again, if you think Morgan Rielly intended to hit him 100% in the head, we have nothing further to discuss.

• Haha
Reactions: stampedingviking

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Straight to the head, no reason to deflect.

Reilly having any games reduced would be an insult to the player who crosschecked Zub.

Defending a crosscheck to the head after a goal is certainly remarkable.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Absolutely none would. Perhaps Tom Wilson and Reilly.

The rest would start a scrum.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
So is a carbon based lifeform fist to the face, but that seems to be the suggested course of action for Rielly to have taken.

Perhaps you are the enlightened one who is here to tell us stupid, archaic, savages about the utopian unionized future that we could live in if we were only to leave behind all of this toxic culture. But really, that sounds like the Jehova's Witnesses and I'm perfectly happy watching men fight each other for entertainment purposes. Good luck on achieving your progress!
well if Morgan was not such a coward he would have chosen to Fight Ridley Grieg, but alas, he cowers behind a weapon and attacks a person in the head with it cause he got his knickers in a knot as a result of his team being outworked by an opponent

cause its the respectfull thing to do...

what happened to holding your head high in defeat instead of being a sore loser that has anger management issues

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If it was a slapshot, you would have to be.

I can't imagine Matthews, Marner or Nylander would take a slapshot at an ENG from 6 feet out.

In fact, I can't imagine any player would. Can we name any other players to have done this in the last 10 years?

Matthews has 8 career ENG and none of them has been a slapshot. I cannot see that changing.
That doesn't really matter because it's not an impossibility in the future.

Really, any of them could just use more force with ANY shot and if the other team deems it "disrespectful", then is it okay for them to cross-check Matthews, Marner, or Nylander in the head? Again, under the strict understanding that it could certainly cause an injury.

We never really thought a player would lick someone, right? But it happened. The history of "well, no one has done that previous, and no one would ever do that again" is dumb reasoning.

What I'm getting at here is that you simply can't cross-check someone in the head after they score a goal. For any reason. That's not an extreme view. Reilly could have gone over and facewashed him or chirped him or something and that would have been the end of it. What Leaf fans continuously fail to realize (and the Reilly supporters as well) is that this is NOT about Greig's "slapshot of disrespect." This is 100% about Reilly's cross-check to the head. We've seen other deliberate cross-checks to the head with intent to injure get suspended. Reilly got suspended as he should have. He is lucky he only got 5. It should have been more.

In the same breath as Leaf fans are saying, "Good, I bet Greigs doesn't do THAT again!!!", we can say with regard to the suspension, "Good, I bet Reilly doesn't do THAT again."

Again, if you think Morgan Rielly intended to hit him 100% in the head, we have nothing further to discuss.
Does. Not. Matter. One. Bit.

Everything you said is 100% irrelevant.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
well if Morgan was not such a coward he would have chosen to Fight Ridley Grieg, but alas, he cowers behind a weapon and attacks a person in the head with it cause he got his knickers in a knot as a result of his team being outworked by an opponent

cause its the respectfull thing to do...

what happened to holding your head high in defeat instead of being a sore loser that has anger management issues
Youre delusional if you think Greig would be willing to fight Rielly there.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I think Sens fans are extremely happy how this played out - beat a rival team, showed them up a bit, had a good laugh at the funny moment, saw the Leafs team and their fans lose their minds, and saw a rival team lose their best defenseman, deservedly, for 5 games. Ridley Greig is an absolute rockstar.
But none of those things matter because the Sens are once again out of the playoff race.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Can anyone please explain why we do not see more slapshots taken at empty nets?
It iS uNIVerSALly DislIkeD!

The sport that prides itself on its players being so very tough sure has many fans who support assaults due to goals being scored 'not the right way'. Such hypocrisy :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad