Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Next time Ridley should stop skating, turn around and fire a slapshot at Morgan's head and if he misses with the puck he should target Morgans head with a two handed crosscheck.

Hockey culture is whacked...Ridley broke no rules, Morgan had all sorts of options to approach Ridley however chose to assault him, a union brother none the less...with a weapon to the head... the leafs coach and a few players think that what Morgan did was OKAY...

what a f***ed up world
I don't think there is anyone that thinks what Morgan did was ok....well....maybe not, there are always extremes, but I'm pretty sure almost everyone felt Morgan went too far.....that isn't really up for debate.

I love these "two handed crosschecks" though....are you saying two handed to make it sound worse?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I don't think there is anyone that thinks what Morgan did was ok....well....maybe not, there are always extremes, but I'm pretty sure almost everyone felt Morgan went too far.....that isn't really up for debate.

I love these "two handed crosschecks" though....are you saying two handed to make it sound worse?
Id love to see a one handed crosscheck.

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

A few different player thoughts.

Jeremy Lauzon​

“Everybody knows, you don’t have to do a slap shot like that. I don’t think the kid tried to be rude or something. I think it was just in the heat of the moment. It was exciting to get the win against Toronto, playing for the Senators, you know? And I think Rielly was just in emotion, trying to step up for his teammates.”

Cody Glass​

“I thought [the empty netter] was kind of funny, to be honest. But at the same time, I feel like it was the right response. A hit in the head? Probably not a great response, but obviously saying something or creating a scrum. You’re losing and someone shows you up like that? That would piss me off, too.”

Cole Smith​

“At some point, there’s a respect factor, right? Especially with empty net goals. You’re trying to solidify the game, I get if there’s high emotions or something like that, but I feel like there’s a respect factor there. If you’re going to do something a little different or out of the ordinary, you can expect something out of the ordinary coming back.”

Luke Evangelista​

“I’m sure you can expect something there, but a cross-check to face? I don’t know. There’s gotta be like a happy medium. You knew there would be a whole scrum there or something, but I’m not sure if he’s expecting a cross-check to the face. I mean, usually guys have a pretty good grasp on the unwritten rules, but that’s kind of a new one. I haven’t really seen that one before. Maybe a little gray area?”

Luke Schenn​

“I thought [the empty netter] was ridiculous, honestly. I’m on Rielly’s side on this one. Obviously it was an accident to cross-check him in the face. I don’t think there’s any intent there, but you’re absolutely going to be aware of that. It was a young kid with not very much experience in the league. Maybe he needs some perspective there not to do that.”

“Also, you’re not going to turn away and go to the bench when a guy takes a slap shot in your crease like that. There was some frustration with losing the game and giving up an empty netter anyway. There’s just certain things in the game where you’ve signed up for the logo you wear on the front. And you don’t want to be disrespected like that.”

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

Luke Schenn a real one.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022

it's clear a lot of commenters here dont understand hockey culture but the players get it and understand it. not surprised by those responses.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006

Keefe and Reeves believe what Morgan did was appropriate...shows you how stupid hockey culture is

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
it's clear a lot of commenters here dont understand hockey culture but the players get it and understand it. not surprised by those responses.
I think most commenters here understand hockey culture well, and are not surprised by the comments either. You can both understand the culture and think that it makes them look like babies.

Reactions: RegDunlop

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
A lot more people in the league thought it was appropriate than just those 2.
again, just shows how stupid and archaic hockey culture is...bunch of savages that believe being a sore loser justifies attempting to intentionally inflict harm on a union brother who's team clearly was the better club that day...

what Morgan should have done is targeted his anger and frustration at this own teammates and coaches, they are the ones that deserve it...Ridley Grieg did nothing wrong...

Morgan needs anger management classes and psychiatric assessment.

Morgan is a coward.

Last edited:

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
again, just shows how stupid and archaic hockey culture is...bunch of savages that believe being a sore loser justifies attempting to intentionally inflict harm on a union brother who's team clearly was the better club that day...

what Morgan should have done is targeted his clear anger and frustration at this own teammates and coaches, they are the ones that deserve it...Ridley Grieg did nothing wrong...

Morgan is a coward.
But hockey players agree that Ridley did do something wrong. So within their world, the sport that they play, it was wrong. You may not like it. But it's their "code".

There are lots of different cultures you may or may not like. Japanese culture is different to French culture is different to Mexican culture etc.

You, or anyone of us, may not like hockey culture. But that is the culture in which these players are playing in. Thus, the response of Rielly.

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta

what Morgan should have done is targeted his clear anger and frustration at this own teammates and coaches, they are the ones that deserve it...Ridley Grieg did nothing wrong...

Morgan is a coward.
If this is how you truly feel, you may need to follow your own advice and get a psychiatrist assessment.

An accidental head shot is not indicative of Morgan Rielly’s mental well being.

• Haha
Reactions: stampedingviking

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
I think most commenters here understand hockey culture well, and are not surprised by the comments either. You can both understand the culture and think that it makes them look like babies.
some people just don't get it.

you dont have to like it. it's not your culture. if hockey players want to change it they will, the code has evolved over the years.

Reactions: ACC1224

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
It was 100% appropriate. If Greig tries it again, I hope it’s a nice big slash next time.
wow, just wow.

Morgan is such a fragile human that he can't take losing without attempting to injure a union brothers head with a carbon weapon

good to know that you believe intentionally targeting an opponents head with a weapon is justified just because your team flat out got beat...

Sore f***ing losers

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
wow, just wow.

Morgan is such a fragile human that he can't take losing without attempting to injure a union brothers head with a carbon weapon

good to know that you believe intentionally targeting an opponents head with a weapon is justified just because your team flat out got beat...

Sore f***ing losers
It wasn't the loss but the disrespect. It's been a week and you still don't know what happened.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
But hockey players agree that Ridley did do something wrong. So within their world, the sport that they play, it was wrong. You may not like it. But it's their "code".

There are lots of different cultures you may or may not like. Japanese culture is different to French culture is different to Mexican culture etc.

You, or anyone of us, may not like hockey culture. But that is the culture in which these players are playing in. Thus, the response of Rielly.
Some hockey players think Ridley did something wrong...

I have never suited up in the NHL so I can't speak to what a code could be amongst them despite having a good friend be a captain of an NHL club for many years...

I suspect that you have a long and storied career in the NHL if you can speak to and know about the NHL players code as you call it...

Had the pleasure of travelling to 76 countries around the planet so I am well aware of cultural differences from country to country so thanks for that tip but I dont need it...

what Ridley did was an exclamation point after his team out dualed the opponent, its too bad the psycholigically fragile bunch get their knickers in a knot just because they got beat and then choose to assualt a fellow union member...

what a sad, sad state those folks are in...

whatever happened to hanging your head up high after you lost and simply understanding that you and your teammates need to be better next time around...

Reactions: stampedingviking

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
wow, just wow.

Sore f***ing losers
This is sports at the highest level with athletes who are super competitive and driven

To a guy like you the reaction is absurd

To athletes its standard

NBA --> MJ, Kobe, Lebron etc all have insane desire to win and dont let other teams disrespect them

NFL --> Try showboating a TD up huge in the game.

MLB: Bautista Batflip there was payback, hitting a player there is payback

If you truly believe what your saying thats fair, but its a minority opinion. Your perspective is completely different from most athletes.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton

Very good.
Surprised this is still a discussion. As a defenceman, I would have prob chirped Ridley, maybe rode him out a bit and told him to keep his head up next time we meet. MAX. There is a code in the sport but a slapshot into an empty net isn't such an egregious action that violates that so called code. Reilly's reaction went too far. Now he is paying for it.

Since no one got hurt it just adds to the fire ala Alfredson stick toss etc!

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
It wasn't the loss but the disrespect. It's been a week and you still don't know what happened.
oh I know what happened...psychological frail folks have anger management problems and interpret Ridleys exclamation point on the win a sign of disrespect...and for some that justifies an attempt to injure another union brother with a blow to the head with a carbon weapon..

LOL

bunch of pansies...

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Some hockey players think Ridley did something wrong...

I have never suited up in the NHL so I can't speak to what a code could be amongst them despite having a good friend be a captain of an NHL club for many years...

I suspect that you have a long and storied career in the NHL if you can speak to and know about the NHL players code as you call it...

Had the pleasure of travelling to 76 countries around the planet so I am well aware of cultural differences from country to country so thanks for that tip but I dont need it...

what Ridley did was an exclamation point after his team out dualed the opponent, its too bad the psycholigically fragile bunch get their knickers in a knot just because they got beat and then choose to assualt a fellow union member...

what a sad, sad state those folks are in...

whatever happened to hanging your head up high after you lost and simply understanding that you and your teammates need to be better next time around...
NHL players seem to have an issue with slap shot ENG. It seems to go against their culture that they've created.

I feel that is probably why we've seen a total of 1 slapshot ENG in the last decade or so. If there was nothing wrong with it, I can't imagine a world where Ridley Greig is the only NHL player skilled enough to pull it off.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It was 100% appropriate. If Greig tries it again, I hope it’s a nice big slash next time.
If Matthews, Marner, or Nylander took a shot into an empty net that a dman on the other team thought was inappropriate, are you okay with any of those three getting a cross-check to the head while they celebrate? Under the strict understanding that there is no guarantee of it being an "injury-free" cross-check to the head?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Yeah the reality is outside of the Sens young players, the majority of NHLers are more on Rielly's side here.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
If Matthews, Marner, or Nylander took a shot into an empty net that a dman on the other team thought was inappropriate, are you okay with any of those three getting a cross-check to the head while they celebrate? Under the strict understanding that there is no guarantee of it being an "injury-free" cross-check to the head?
If it was a slapshot, you would have to be.

I can't imagine Matthews, Marner or Nylander would take a slapshot at an ENG from 6 feet out.

In fact, I can't imagine any player would. Can we name any other players to have done this in the last 10 years?

Matthews has 8 career ENG and none of them has been a slapshot. I cannot see that changing.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
If this is how you truly feel, you may need to follow your own advice and get a psychiatrist assessment.

An accidental head shot is not indicative of Morgan Rielly’s mental well being.
what accidental head shot are you referring to?

I am good, dont need an assessment, when I play a game or a sport and I get beat, I congratulate my opponent on their efforts and create continuous quality improvement strategies for myself and my team to get better. So the next time we wont be sore losers...

I don't intentionally physically assault my opponent and try to scramble his brains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad