Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Sure, that’s what you think but how does a taunt harm hockey.
Well, taunting sets a negative example for younger players and fans, promoting unsportsmanlike behavior and disrespect towards opponents, officials, and the game itself.
Taunting can create a hostile or negative atmosphere at games, detracting from the enjoyment of the sport. While some banter and competitive spirit are inherent to sports, excessive or disrespectful taunting can have detrimental effects on hockey.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Your opinions are valid except that Toronto is absolutely special. You can't help yourself but tune in to what theyre doing. And you always will.

pits almost like it’s the center of the universe

Reactions: HofT

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Very little there. If anything calling out Reilly for emotions getting the best of him.

Then why is he defending Greig instead of supporting him?

He could say what he did was part of the game and Rielly shouldn't have done that. Instead he's saying Greig's a good guy, emotions got the best of him and the crowd as pumping him up (game was in Ottawa).

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005

Wow. That's reaching. He knows exactly why Grieg did it, and mentions the fans specifically, and that's why Giroux doesn't have a problem with it, because this doesn't happen against any other team. You'll notice how its Giroux that brings up the cross-check when he's asked what's a part of the game.

Where are the rest of the guys that disagree? Or are you doing that thing again where one person = many?

• Haha
Reactions: ER89 and HTFN

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Wow. That's reaching. He knows exactly why Grieg did it, and mentions the fans specifically, and that's why Giroux doesn't have a problem with it, because this doesn't happen against any other team. You'll notice how its Giroux that brings up the cross-check when he's asked what's a part of the game.

Where are the rest of the guys that disagree? Or are you doing that thing again where one person = many?

I never said many. You misread my post.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I think Sens fans are extremely happy how this played out - beat a rival team, showed them up a bit, had a good laugh at the funny moment, saw the Leafs team and their fans lose their minds, and saw a rival team lose their best defenseman, deservedly, for 5 games. Ridley Greig is an absolute rockstar.
The little wins matter when you're at the bottom of the division, I don't blame you.

Don't think you saw any fans lose their minds :laugh: but whatever helps you

Reactions: Metroid

Strangle

May 4, 2009
This is a rhetorical question, but why are people still debating this? Rielly crosschecked a guy in the head and got 5 games for it. What's the problem?

Everyone is obsessed with everything Leafs

Leaf fans don’t ever think of your teams, but the rest of the leagues fans think about us more than they do their own team :laugh:

That said, I’m guessing this will get reduced due to the league being embarrassed by how this all went down. Tre cancelling his press conference seems to point in that direction

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Do you think Toronto did themselves any favours by saying they were surprised theirs an in Person hearing, having Reaves speak on the subject on more violence and all their media saying it was justified.

Toronto has somehow convinced itself it’s special. It’s not, it’s just a Rich team surrounded by people who thinks it’s special because they have access to the inside. It’s not special, if it was it would have a Cup final in the last 60 years it could talk talk to one of their fans about

I don’t think I’ve ever watched a random 4th liner, on a team I’m not interested in, answer questions from the media

But I’m glad you’re a leaf fan too!

ACLEVERNAME

Jan 6, 2010
Treliving and JP Barry putting together a video package of the Giroux/Pinto post-games to present to Bettman LMAO

"And you'll see that he looks slightly to the left while speaking here? That's a tell of insincerity or deceit. We have 2 body language experts, a psychologist and Kevin Bieksa on call with us right now who can corroborate this fact Mr. Bettman."

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Well, taunting sets a negative example for younger players and fans, promoting unsportsmanlike behavior and disrespect towards opponents, officials, and the game itself.
Taunting can create a hostile or negative atmosphere at games, detracting from the enjoyment of the sport. While some banter and competitive spirit are inherent to sports, excessive or disrespectful taunting can have detrimental effects on hockey.

That’s interesting. Some taunting is okay, why is taking a slap shot at an empty net excessive? Why does it great a hostile or negative atmosphere?

Strangle

May 4, 2009
That’s interesting. Some taunting is okay, why is taking a slap shot at an empty net excessive? Why does it great a positive or negative atmosphere?

I would answer this, but it’s such a stupid question I don’t think it’s actually genuine.

That’s a question someone who is new to hockey (or a child) would ask.

Your account is over a decade old, so youre neither.

Which means you’re not asking a legitimate question. But do me a favor and tell me the last time someone did that.

If you’re having trouble finding that clip, ask yourself why it took some no name rookie on the sens to figure out the ‘slap shot into an empty net from inside the crease’ move before, say Mario Lemieux

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
That’s interesting. Some taunting is okay, why is taking a slap shot at an empty net excessive? Why does it great a hostile or negative atmosphere?
Now, you don't think Reilly's reaction to it was hostile, negative and an over-reaction. That is an epic flip flop.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Everyone hoping the leafs would go 0-5 with rielly out and be out of the playoffs are in shambles and punching air right now.

Who knows, maybe this is exactly what this group needed. Thank you Greig for finally injecting some emotion into this team!

ACLEVERNAME

Jan 6, 2010
Everyone hoping the leafs would go 0-5 with rielly out and be out of the playoffs are in shambles and punching air right now.

Who knows, maybe this is exactly what this group needed. Thank you Greig for finally injecting some emotion into this team!
But I'm positive I read in the earlier thread(s) that Rielly was not only the best Leafs defenseman but also the de facto Captain of the team? Pure heart and soul and such and such. "Finally someone showed some guts" was the overall response when he attempted to knock out an underage rookie over an empty net goal.

Now I'm wondering how Treliving will manage to dump BOTH Reilly and Tavaras as apparently now the 'overall' team seems to exceed in the absence of their 'leadership'. Should be a fun deadline/offseason in Toronto.

Reactions: Luc Labelle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad