Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducer

Jan 20, 2021
When some player
That is kind of what I thought. So it isn't a written rule, but up to the refs depending how they feel. Now the question is, would that garner a response from the opposition?

Additionally, would/could unsportsmanlike penalties by called on a slap shot on an empty net? Because there are players both current and past that have said it was unsportsmanlike. Now obviously we don't know how every player feels, because they have not all been asked, but it makes for an interesting question.
You should go on youtube and check out may 14 1987 Flyers vs Habs pregame brawl and tell me who was right or wrong or was it just unsportsmanlike?

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
He deserved 5 and he got 5. One of the few times I've ever agreed with the DOPS. You can't go and cross-check someone after the play is over, especially up high (aiming for the head or not) and extra especially when it's just over some perceived slight.

I'm a Leafs fan, and I don't get why anyone would complain. The appeal will go nowhere.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I'm curious to hear the instances where a cross-check to the head is acceptable.
I don't think you will find anyone who thinks that. You may find other people who like me, think the suspension was too long or unwarranted, but a person who think a cross check to the head is acceptable ? You probably won't hear any instances where it is acceptable.

Thousands of posts spanning across 2 threads all because of this

Yeah, it has been blown way out of proportion. Though what happen after that has been more of a topic for posters.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
What a bunch of nonsense...

Both the NHL and the NHLPA have to agree on the hiring of an arbitrator, and either party has the right to dismiss them every September and jointly hire a new one.

They each have the exact same rights when it comes to who the independent arbitrators are and the NHLPA negotiated that process, so if they don't like it they can try and change it next round.

Can they remove Gary Bettman from the equation like baseball? No.

The NHL has 'zero appetite for that'.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Can they remove Gary Bettman from the equation like baseball? No.

The NHL has 'zero appetite for that'.
I was referring to your comments about the arbitors, which was utter nonsense, but go ahead and move the goalposts instead of acknowledging how dumb your take was, it's a great look for you, and again, it's all collectively bargained, NHLPA agreed to the process when the signed the CBA, if they don't like it, the can negotiate something different

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
When you should have got 10-20 games and you get away with 5, appealing the suspension is absolutely whining and acting entitled.

IDGAK about the money leaving his wallet. Good. Maybe that will make him think twice before doing it again.
Yeah, I agree with that. However, in this case it should have been a fine. What is absolutely whining and acting entitled is supporting an obvious poor decision by the DOPS.

• Haha
Reactions: stampedingviking

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Thousands of posts because Senators fans are still crying a week after the game lol move on
Umm...what exactly is we're crying about? Did someone slap a puck into our empty net giving us ample ammo to whine about a broken code? No! Did one of our players get suspended giving us reason to whine about it being too many games too much because the stick rode up his arm, complete with video breakdown? No! If anything, we're laughing, not crying.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I was referring to your comments about the arbitors, which was utter nonsense, but go ahead and move the goalposts instead of acknowledging how dumb your take was, it's a great look for you, and again, it's all collectively bargained, NHLPA agreed to the process when the signed the CBA, if they don't like it, the can negotiate something different

Can they? No. It’s not moving the goalposts, there was 2 points in the original post and you addressed one of them. I brought up the second point and it’s all of a sudden moving the goalposts. :laugh:

There was a lockout and the NHL wouldn’t budge.

No point of independent arbitrators when they are fired for decisions one party doesn’t agree with. Would you agree with that?

Sure the NHLPA can do whatever they want, with the NHL’s consent - which the NHL won’t give. So it’s a moot point. The person who you appeal suspensions to is probably lower in the priority of things to die on the sword by when you are risking a lockout. I’m sure the NHLPA compromised on it - but that doesn’t make it fair. In any labour dispute it’s never 50-50, the employers are always at an advantage because they have more money than the workers and can afford to wait it out longer.

Last edited:

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

You'd think they were kicking him out of the league...
jfc:facepalm:

There is absolutely no "other" case. He attacked him after the goal. Thats a big no no and it's stated in the video, They are just wasting their time and video. Rielly could have waiting until the face-off and it would have been fine (if he doesn't attack the head) the media ( in Toronto's pocket in Canada....Bell and rogers own 37.5% of the leafs each) is working overtime here to justify an attack after the play to the head of a player and its sickening.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Thousands of posts because Senators fans are still crying a week after the game lol move on
I think Sens fans are extremely happy how this played out - beat a rival team, showed them up a bit, had a good laugh at the funny moment, saw the Leafs team and their fans lose their minds, and saw a rival team lose their best defenseman, deservedly, for 5 games. Ridley Greig is an absolute rockstar.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Umm...what exactly is we're crying about? Did someone slap a puck into our empty net giving us ample ammo to whine about a broken code? No! Did one of our players get suspended giving us reason to whine about it being too many games too much because the stick rode up his arm, complete with video breakdown? No! If anything, we're laughing, not crying.
It's leaf fans and old mentality violent idiots that are complaining. I haven't seen Ottawa fans complaining BUT I see a ton of leaf fans crying about the suspension and the slapshot.

Big babies the lot of them.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I think Sens fans are extremely happy how this played out - beat a rival team, showed them up a bit, had a good laugh at the funny moment, saw the Leafs team and their fans lose their minds, and saw a rival team lose their best defenseman, deservedly, for 5 games. Ridley Greig is an absolute rockstar.

You're happy your player got crosschecked in the face? I think Senators fans would have been happier if Rielly did nothing.. but they're trying to twist it into the suspension benefitted them somehow as if they're chasing a playoff berth. Reminds me of Sabres fans 'being happy' Dahlin was crosschecked in the face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad