Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
So, a slap shot is not a way to score a goal? Does Ovie know about this?
your joking right? you gotta be joking..... there's a difference between a normal slapshot goal over being alone and slap shot into an empty net like that. it was just disrespectful and an unwritten rule you dont do things like that.

this is the only era you could get away with something like that without dropping the gloves. league full of cowards and Rielly is one of them for his crosscheck. should have dropped the gloves like a man

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
The reason is because all eyes are on the Leafs. They're made examples of
Maybe tell your media, players, and coach that they shouldn't keep justifying a potential concussion as appropriate retaliation for a slap shot into an empty net. Might improve your image by a tiny bit. Nobody is forcing these morons to open their mouths.

Reactions: cptjeff

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
your joking right? you gotta be joking..... there's a difference between a normal slapshot goal over being alone and slap shot into an empty net like that. it was just disrespectful and an unwritten rule you dont do things like that.

this is the only era you could get away with something like that without dropping the gloves. league full of cowards and Rielly is one of them for his crosscheck. should have dropped the gloves like a man
If it is unwritten and then is not real.

Either a slap shot or legal or not, there are no special conditions.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Terry Tate, office linebacker

Yesterday I told my aunt that it looked like she had gotten fat, but instead of talking with me about how to go to the gym and lose the weight, she just cried a lot and now my uncle keeps getting in my face. It's totally true though, she looks like she put on 20 in the last year. Since when is telling the truth against the rules? Ugh, unwritten rules and codes are so stupid.

Honestly, I'm hitting the point in most of my hobbies where I do think it's time to start gatekeeping. Seems like there's a whole lot of people who don't care about passion, team identity, or authentic competition any more. Good on Greig for doing something to piss Rielly off, and good on Rielly for responding. Obviously, you cannot cross-check a man in the face, which is why Rielly is getting suspended. But this is the exact sort of thing that makes SPORTS a compelling entertainment product. People who post garbage about how codes are stupid a) clearly aren't paying attention to the rest of their lives and b) seem hell-bound on ruining hockey or the rest of us.

At no point should cross-checking to the face be okay, but the entire meta discussion surrounding codes should be shown the door. I didn't write the code, I'm just explaining the code, and the code will change with time, but I will defend the code to my dying breath because the game is better with the code than without. Even if it's all made up, which it is, none of this is real life, it makes the game better because it gives the players something to stand for. In a day and age where no one seems to stand for anything, I want my entertainment to stand for something, even if it's pretend.

Telling the truth is never against the rules, but it might hurt people feelings.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Maybe tell your media, players, and coach that they shouldn't keep justifying a potential concussion as appropriate retaliation for a slap shot into an empty net. Might improve your image by a tiny bit. Nobody is forcing these morons to open their mouths.
Yes let me get right on that. As a fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs I have a direct line of communication to TSN, SN, MLSE, Bell AND Rogers. Pretty good perks if you ask me. I'll do my best to hold them accountable just for you!

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia

I'm not joking. If you don't want someone scoring on you, play better. And a slap shot (I don't know if you call it that at 73 MPH) into an empty net is NOT disrespectful. I actually think it stupid, because a slap shot is the least accurate shot, but it's not disrespectful. And you are right, if Rielly was really upset about it, he should have dropped the gloves.

I'm not sure, can you show me him scoring an empty net goal (goaltender pulled) with a slapshot? I'm willing to bet he doesnt have one so he likely knows about it 👍

But he does score goals with a slap shot. Which is what Greig did.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I'm not joking. If you don't want someone scoring on you, play better. And a slap shot (I don't know if you call it that at 73 MPH) into an empty net is NOT disrespectful. I actually think it stupid, because a slap shot is the least accurate shot, but it's not disrespectful. And you are right, if Rielly was really upset about it, he should have dropped the gloves.
Thats just simply your own opinion. Not sure why youre tooting it around like its a proven fact lol. People are allowed to have differing opinions.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Thats just simply your own opinion. Not sure why youre tooting it around like its a proven fact lol. People are allowed to have differing opinions.

You are right, it is my opinion. Just like it is your opinion that you think it's wrong. But isn't that why we are on a discussion board, to give and get opinions and sometimes facts?

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
Rielly is lucky that Greig wasn't seriously hurt on the play and got up. Such a goon move to make after the play is over and the game is decided. No place in hockey (or any sport) for this type of move.

If the roles were reversed, Leaf fans would have stormed the Canadian Tire Center and tried to burn it down.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
You are right, it is my opinion. Just like it is your opinion that you think it's wrong. But isn't that why we are on a discussion board, to give and get opinions and sometimes facts?
Maybe don't write your opinion as an absolute next time and there shouldnt be an issue 👍

HofT

Sep 4, 2008
I'm talking on a much greater scale than just this. You can't help yourself but tune into whatever the Leafs are doing.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
well im going to agree to disagree with you. would love to see Grieg do that to other teams and see if they respond in some way or not. id be willing to put money down that he doesnt get away with it.

watch it again. no one is anywhere close to him. slapshot like that is just disrespectful any team would react. but yes Rielly should have dropped them. crosschecks to the head gotta stop

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
My point is that the Perron suspension is not a good comparable because unlike Rielly his attack on Zub was unprovoked. And no Rielly did not attack an innocent man, every team in the league would have gone after Greig in that situation.
Zub and Greig both inflicted an equal amount of harm to their opponent.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
I think that's an assumption you're making that not everyone might agree with.

Anyways, it's an irrelevant point: if you trace the comments back, it is clearly in reference to a cross-check, not a slash.
I know we are talking about a cross check.....my point was one of semantics where the other person suggested this wasn't a two-hander to the face. Honestly, I never thought of this as an assumption, I've taken it basically as fact, a two-hander is an adjective added to a slash to distinguish between a one-handed swing (no big deal) and a two-hander (much more violent).

I get that a cross check is two-handed, it has to be in order to be a cross check......anyway.....carry on, wasting too much time discussing an item that really doesn't matter.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The reason is because all eyes are on the Leafs. They're made examples of

Do you think Toronto did themselves any favours by saying they were surprised theirs an in Person hearing, having Reaves speak on the subject on more violence and all their media saying it was justified.

Toronto has somehow convinced itself it’s special. It’s not, it’s just a Rich team surrounded by people who thinks it’s special because they have access to the inside. It’s not special, if it was it would have a Cup final in the last 60 years it could talk talk to one of their fans about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad