Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Agree...both are in the wrong, but I think Perron's actions were worse and he deserved more....which is what he got. Had Perron been suspended for 4 games and Reilly for 5 games, I think a Reilly appeal would be successful to reduce.....in this case, it's probably easy to look and Perron and agree he should get less than 6, which he did.....not having been through such an appeal process though, not sure how hard it is to argue what makes more sense....what evidence, etc.
Why was Perrons worse? One was in retaliation for his teammate lying motionless on the ice, and one was in retaliation to Rielly throwing a hissy fit over hurt feelings because a guy bragged on a goal

My point is that the Perron suspension is not a good comparable because unlike Rielly his attack on Zub was unprovoked. And no Rielly did not attack an innocent man, every team in the league would have gone after Greig in that situation.
What rule did Greig break? Is there a new rule that you can’t take slap shots on an empty net? Hurt feelings isn’t the excuse Leaf fans keep thinking it is.

retaliating to his captain lying motionless on the ice < retaliating to en empty net goal not being scored in the way you deemed acceptable

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Why was Perrons worse? One was in retaliation for his teammate lying motionless on the ice, and one was in retaliation to Rielly throwing a hissy fit over hurt feelings because a guy bragged on a goal
Imagine if the Sens did that everytime Stutlze lay motionless on the ice.

Not that that has anything to do with anything, but I just thought it would be funny to see them act like Perron.

Anywho, Nazem Kadri used to do what Perron did. Against Boston after they kneed Rielly, hit Andersen in the head and boarded Marleau, he went nuts and did what Perron did. Got 5.5 playoff games for it.

Boy HFBoards wanted to throw the book at him. Seems like there is a bit more understanding now with Perron which is good.

One is an unsportsmanlike penalty and the other is not.

What do you think happens?
It is not an unsportsmanlike penalty. It is not written in the rules that it is an unsportsmanlike penalty. What makes you say that?

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I mean he scored the goal to win the game and did a celebration. if he went on too much longer could have been close to unsportsmanlike/taunting, it was fairly short. back in the day I dunno maybe it would have gotten a reaction.
A celebration vs a shot, idk, I'd say doing the griddy as a celebration is more over the top and taunting than a muffin of a slap shot on the EN, but both were guys putting an exclamation mark on their game ending goal. I get the feeling if Greig gently scored the EN, then did the griddy, Rielly still would have overreacted, we'll never know I guess.

You don't see guys getting speared in the NFL for spiking the ball after a touchdown or attacked in the NBA for a slam dunk on an uncontested net, those are far more comparable to a slap shot EN. I guess if the did a windmill dunk or spinorama maybe, but that would be like Greig down the Michigan (he'd have screwed it up and missed and then we'd have something completely different to talk about)

Hockey players have some pretty thin skin when it comes to stuff like that, and a scrum after a game ending play isn't that unreasonable although still dumb, but it's a false equivalency to argue every team would have done something, I'm fairly confident the vast majority of the other 31 teams if not all probably wouldn't have done something resulting in a suspension, maybe bump into him and rub him out, a little pushing and shoving perhaps at worst a roughing call or a fight.

Reactions: Grumpy1

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If you are offside and and the whistle goes and you take a slap shot at the net, what happens in your opinion?
Thaw player goes Goes to the box for an unsportsmanlike penalty?

There’s also a chance of injury to the goalie if he’s not paying attention… where was the injury risk on Greigs play?

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Maybe don't write your opinion as an absolute next time and there shouldnt be an issue 👍

But you have no problem with other people stating their opinion as absoute (other posters who said it was disrespectful) as long as you agree with it?

And you are right, it is my opinion that it wasn't disrespectful.

Ducer

Jan 20, 2021

What rule did Greig break? Is there a new rule that you can’t take slap shots on an empty net? Hurt feelings isn’t the excuse Leaf fans keep thinking it is.

retaliating to his captain lying motionless on the ice < retaliating to en empty net goal not being scored in the way you deemed acceptable
You honestly don't see Zub with his hand up like no dude Larkin is injured? There's a difference in a gloved cross check and a 2 hander.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Thaw player goes Goes to the box for an unsportsmanlike penalty?

There’s also a chance of injury to the goalie if he’s not paying attention… where was the injury risk on Greigs play?
I do not believe that it written anywhere in the NHL rule book. It is more of an (whispers) unwritten rule, or code.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You honestly don't see Zub with his hand up like no dude Larkin is injured? There's a difference in a gloved cross check and a 2 hander.
Uhhh when did Perron “two hand” him?

And yes I see Zub with his hand up, all Perron sees is him standing over his teammate laying motionless on the ice.

Defending who you *think* injured your player < defending your own hurt feelings because he showboated a goal

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
Imagine if the Sens did that everytime Stutlze lay motionless on the ice.

Not that that has anything to do with anything, but I just thought it would be funny to see them act like Perron.

Anywhere, Nazem Kadri used to do what Perron did. Against Boston after they kneed Rielly, hit Andersen in the head and boarded Marleau, he went nuts and did what Perron did. Got 5.5 playoff games for it.

Boy HFBoards wanted to throw the book at him. Seems like there is a bit more understanding now with Perron which is good.

It is not an unsportsmanlike penalty. It is not written in the rules that it is an unsportsmanlike penalty. What makes you say that?
You keep embarrassing yourself. Firing the puck at the goalie after the play is called dead is unsportsmanlike and has the potential to injure. You will go to the box for doing exactly what you described

Reactions: WaitingForThatCab

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
A celebration vs a shot, idk, I'd say doing the griddy as a celebration is more over the top and taunting than a muffin of a slap shot on the EN, but both were guys putting an exclamation mark on their game ending goal. I get the feeling if Greig gently scored the EN, then did the griddy, Rielly still would have overreacted, we'll never know I guess.

You don't see guys getting speared in the NFL for spiking the ball after a touchdown or attacked in the NBA for a slam dunk on an uncontested net, those are far more comparable to a slap shot EN. I guess if the did a windmill dunk or spinorama maybe, but that would be like Greig down the Michigan (he'd have screwed it up and missed and then we'd have something completely different to talk about)

Hockey players have some pretty thin skin when it comes to stuff like that, and a scrum after a game ending play isn't that unreasonable although still dumb, but it's a false equivalency to argue every team would have done something, I'm fairly confident the vast majority of the other 31 teams if not all probably wouldn't have done something resulting in a suspension, maybe bump into him and rub him out, a little pushing and shoving perhaps at worst a roughing call or a fight.
I mean his celebration was after a penalty shot in OT and won. he didnt go on for a min it was like 5seconds of a dancing celebration. not anywhere close to the same.

im getting sick of his conversation anyways so Ill just disagree with you

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
You keep embarrassing yourself. Firing the puck at the goalie after the play is called dead is unsportsmanlike and has the potential to injure. You will go to the box for doing exactly what you described
And I am asking you, where is that written in the rulebook? Or is it kind of an unwritten rule and following some kind of code?

I have not seen that in the NHL rulebook.

Edit: Jesus f***ing Christ, I just looked at your post history and realized I ain't going to get a sensible answer as a Leafs fan. We'll move on.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Wait, you are suggesting Reilly's was worse because of why he did it? I don't really care about what lead to the cross check, I'm just looking at the cross check itself. I suppose you can look to the reason for the reaction and provide some weighting to it. but don't see why you'd add much weight to it....your response suggests you pull all your weight to that......that is, unless you are making the assumption that both cross checks are the same....which guess is an opinion I don't understand how one reaches. Perron's was a much more violent cross check.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
This is a rhetorical question, but why are people still debating this? Rielly crosschecked a guy in the head and got 5 games for it. What's the problem?
Some posters are claiming it was assault and the cops should have got involved, others are demanding 10+ games, Sens fans are claiming Greig got exactly the kind of response he wanted (weird, he wanted to get cross checked in the head), some Leaf fans are talking about the 3 cross checks that leafs players took to the head which never led to a suspension, some guys are laughing that Rielly will only be making 7.3M this year now instead of 7.5M.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

Ducer

Jan 20, 2021
And I am asking you, where is that written in the rulebook? Or is it kind of an unwritten rule and following some kind of code?

Edit: Jesus f***ing Christ, I just looked at your post history and realized I ain't going to get a sensible answer as a Leafs fan. We'll move on.
I think if by discretion of the Referee is missing here, like when 2 minutes is left in a game and a player get's tossed out for mouthing off from the bench, there's no black and white rule here it's the refferee's discretion to call a game misconduct.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
This is a rhetorical question, but why are people still debating this? Rielly crosschecked a guy in the head and got 5 games for it. What's the problem?
I have no idea really....I suspect most people would agree it's a suspendable offense and likely agree 5 games doesn't some inappropriate. Probably still being discussed due to appeal and some thinking that is dumb. There are always going to be outliers that think he should have gotten way more or way less.

I'm basically in agreement as to what he got, but take exception or disagree when people compare to Perron and suggest Reilly got off lightly since Perron got 6 games. If Perron got 10 or 15 games, fine.....looks like too little for Reilly, but I really don't see any reason to get too worked about 5 games here on either side.

Reactions: BTO

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016

You tried to play a stupid game and got burnt. I was not going to fall for your little what if scenario which was not even remotely comparable.

Honestly, I can think of 2 different scenarios which are not directly written in the rule book but would solicit a nasty response but even then there would have been a good chance of injury.

What Ridley did was harmless and perfectly within the rules. Keep it up though, you think violence is an appropriate response for scoring a goal.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I think if by discretion of the Referee is missing here, like when 2 minutes is left in a game and a player get's tossed out for mouthing off from the bench, there's no black and white rule here it's the refferee's discretion to call a game misconduct.
That is kind of what I thought. So it isn't a written rule, but up to the refs depending how they feel. Now the question is, would that garner a response from the opposition?

Additionally, would/could unsportsmanlike penalties by called on a slap shot on an empty net? Because there are players both current and past that have said it was unsportsmanlike. Now obviously we don't know how every player feels, because they have not all been asked, but it makes for an interesting question.

Sigh

At half mast
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
www.galenwestonjr.ca
It's highly probable an appeal won't get you back playing before the original suspension lapses even if successful (maybe not highly probable), but the players appeal it simple to try and get money back that they are losing each game they are suspended.

Get Morgan some money back

Well, even if the appeal isn't finalized until all the games are served, a game or two retroactively off would be 40-80k back in his bank. It would also amend the precedent for future similar infractions, which for some reason the NHLPA wants to be lower despite ostensibly being concerned about the safety of their players.
Yeah, I didn't think of that. Thanks guys. I still think it's BS that the league can drag out appeals like this.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Respect is for those who deserve it, not those who demand it. Respect is earned, not given. The Leafs have no character, as is evident by them appealing fair justice and not accepting responsibility for and the consequences of Rielly's misconduct. Those who lack character deserve no respect.

Reactions: stampedingviking
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad