Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Yes, I would be if I thought that, but you are delusional if you think Morgan Rielly did that.

I don't think any rational people would agree with that.
Uh.......

1708014000907.png

Two hands on stick.

Stick held with two hands oriented somewhat horizontal to the ice.

Stick held with two hands somewhat horizontally is driven into an opposing player.

Stick held with two hands held horizontally driven into an opposing player with the point of contact being the head/neck area.

Stick held with two hands held horizontally driven into an opposing player with the point of contact being the head/neck area after the play has been blown dead.

... And you're saying rational people would not agree with this?

I don't know man....

Reactions: stampedingviking

HofT

Sep 4, 2008
One thing that irks fans is that, for some reason, games with Toronto being involved are treated differently than when they're not involved.

You look at every single game day thread of all 31 NHL teams and the most common comment is a variation of "we're not going to get calls because we are playing Toronto".

Meanwhile the Leafs are always near the bottom of the league in PP opportunities and bottom in 5v3 opportunities.

So if we forget anyone's opinion of the league is for or against the Leafs, I think we can all come together and admit that games with Toronto in are treated differently. We have all 32 fanbases agreeing on that.

The question is why? Why should those games be treated differently (not better or worse) than a game without Toronto being involved?

Once we figure the answer out to that, I think we can work on solutions.
The reason is because all eyes are on the Leafs. They're made examples of

• Haha

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
When you take away the extremist views on both sides, 5 or 6 games was what most were predicting based on previous similar transgressions. There have been several predictable stories by the Toronto media just designed to get clicks and inflame the conspiracy theorists but that’s just how sports media works. A certain portion of every fanbase feels Dops, the refs and Bettman himself stays up at night devising ways to hurt their team. Canadian fanbases are by far the worst when it comes to the conspiracy theories.

Reactions: BTO

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The appeal hurts his case. You simply cannot crosscheck an unsuspecting player during his goal celebration. You just can't. Everything else, is irrelevant, including why Reilly thought it was necessary to do so.

If you want to do it, you better be prepared to take your punishment. Man the f*** up you god damn child. Appealing it comes off as whiny and entitled.

"Nooooooo! I'm a Leafs player, and I should be allowed to cross-check someone in the head because I'm mad they scored an empty net goal!" GTFO and STFU. This is embarrassing for the player and team at this point. It's going to look even worse when it's upheld because the fact of the matter is, he got off light. He should be thankful and apologetic not whining and appealing.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Well, no. the intent matters. If Perron intended to knock out someone who he knew did nothing wrong, he'd deserve a stiffer judgement since he's acting like a lunatic. Because in his mind, he thought he was defending a team mate, that's a mitigating factor, the knowledge of wrongdoing matters.

What happened in Perron’s imagination is irrelevant, what matters is reality. The fact is Perron attacked an innocent man and his delusions should have little or no baring on decisions made by DOPS.

Reactions: um

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What happened in Perron’s imagination is irrelevant, what matters is reality. The fact is Perron attacked an innocent man and his delusions should have little or no baring on decisions made by DOPS.
You may feel that way, but in the real world, it's among the relevant facts taken into consideration. Intent matters, motives matter, the state of the mind of the assailant matters.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
"Nooooooo! I'm a Leafs player, and I should be allowed to cross-check someone in the head because I'm mad they scored an empty net goal!"

First, talk about whining, your entire post sounds more like an infantile temper tantrum by a Leafs hater than a coherent argument.

Second, I'm pretty sure any other player in the league who got suspended 5 games for this play would appeal it. It's not a statement of any kind, it's a player with zero history of dirty plays wanting to get back and help his team win. Again, like any other player would do.

And I say that having already posted here that I believe he'll get 5 games, maybe 6, and it would be justified.

Reactions: Kelly

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Uh.......

View attachment 820078
Two hands on stick.

Stick held with two hands oriented somewhat horizontal to the ice.

Stick held with two hands somewhat horizontally is driven into an opposing player.

Stick held with two hands held horizontally driven into an opposing player with the point of contact being the head/neck area.

Stick held with two hands held horizontally driven into an opposing player with the point of contact being the head/neck area after the play has been blown dead.

... And you're saying rational people would not agree with this?

I don't know man....
I think it's relative common knowledge that when someone says "he two-handed him in the face" or something like that, it is in reference to slashing, so basically a baseball swing to the face. Perhaps that is what the other poster was referencing he did not do

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
If you want to do it, you better be prepared to take your punishment. Man the f*** up you god damn child. Appealing it comes off as whiny and entitled.
100% disagree on the bolded part. I'm assuming almost everyone appeals suspensions (unless they are 1 or 2 game slaps on the wrist) and if they aren't, why not? Appealing the suspension here is not whining that he shouldn't be suspended, the appeal is simply an attempt to reduce the punishment, therefore, reduce the $$$ hit to his wallet.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
When Perron got 6 games for defending his teammate, I don’t see any world where Rielly wins his appeal when he only got 5 games for defending his own hurt feelings

Reactions: TS Quint

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
And Rielly attacked an innocent man, after a goal was scored, because his feelings is hurt.

What’s your point ?

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Let me get the straight.. Greig deserves to be punched in the face because he scored an empty net goal? Some maybe all the Toronto players deserve to be punched in the face for letting that happen? Just asking. If you don't want people to score on you, play better defense and leave your goalie in net would be a good starting point.
no not because he scored an empty net goal. he deserves to be punched in the face for doing it the way he did. you dont do that. and when you do the other team will come after you. thats how its been ever since the beginning of time.

• Haha

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
And Rielly attacked an innocent man, after a goal was scored, because his feelings is hurt.

What’s your point ?
Agree...both are in the wrong, but I think Perron's actions were worse and he deserved more....which is what he got. Had Perron been suspended for 4 games and Reilly for 5 games, I think a Reilly appeal would be successful to reduce.....in this case, it's probably easy to look and Perron and agree he should get less than 6, which he did.....not having been through such an appeal process though, not sure how hard it is to argue what makes more sense....what evidence, etc.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
100% disagree on the bolded part. I'm assuming almost everyone appeals suspensions (unless they are 1 or 2 game slaps on the wrist) and if they aren't, why not? Appealing the suspension here is not whining that he shouldn't be suspended, the appeal is simply an attempt to reduce the punishment, therefore, reduce the $$$ hit to his wallet.
When you should have got 10-20 games and you get away with 5, appealing the suspension is absolutely whining and acting entitled.

IDGAK about the money leaving his wallet. Good. Maybe that will make him think twice before doing it again.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
When you should have got 10-20 games and you get away with 5, appealing the suspension is absolutely whining and acting entitled.

IDGAK about the money leaving his wallet. Good. Maybe that will make him think twice before doing it again.
Ok, but that starts from the premise that you think he should have gotten 10-20 games, which I think its absolutely ridiculous.....there is basically ZERO basis for such a punishment based on prior incidents.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
I think it's relative common knowledge that when someone says "he two-handed him in the face" or something like that, it is in reference to slashing, so basically a baseball swing to the face. Perhaps that is what the other poster was referencing he did not do
I think that's an assumption you're making that not everyone might agree with.

Anyways, it's an irrelevant point: if you trace the comments back, it is clearly in reference to a cross-check, not a slash.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010

What’s your point ?
My point is that the Perron suspension is not a good comparable because unlike Rielly his attack on Zub was unprovoked. And no Rielly did not attack an innocent man, every team in the league would have gone after Greig in that situation.

• Haha

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
My point is that the Perron suspension is not a good comparable because unlike Rielly his attack on Zub was unprovoked. And no Rielly did not attack an innocent man, every team in the league would have gone after Greig in that situation.
Unprovoked to whom? Perron thought it was Zub that laid out Larkin.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Why would I reference a baseball swing when the video clearly shows it was a 2 handed crosscheck to the face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad