Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
That doesn't really matter because it's not an impossibility in the future.

Really, any of them could just use more force with ANY shot and if the other team deems it "disrespectful", then is it okay for them to cross-check Matthews, Marner, or Nylander in the head? Again, under the strict understanding that it could certainly cause an injury.

We never really thought a player would lick someone, right? But it happened. The history of "well, no one has done that previous, and no one would ever do that again" is dumb reasoning.

What I'm getting at here is that you simply can't cross-check someone in the head after they score a goal. For any reason. That's not an extreme view. Reilly could have gone over and facewashed him or chirped him or something and that would have been the end of it. What Leaf fans continuously fail to realize (and the Reilly supporters as well) is that this is NOT about Greig's "slapshot of disrespect." This is 100% about Reilly's cross-check to the head. We've seen other deliberate cross-checks to the head with intent to injure get suspended. Reilly got suspended as he should have. He is lucky he only got 5. It should have been more.

In the same breath as Leaf fans are saying, "Good, I bet Greigs doesn't do THAT again!!!", we can say with regard to the suspension, "Good, I bet Reilly doesn't do THAT again."

Does. Not. Matter. One. Bit.

Everything you said is 100% irrelevant.
Nope. That is just something you are going with.

We are dealing with slap shots.

No one has ever had an issue with backhanded ENG, banked shots ENG, lucky ENG, goalie ENG, or other ENGs that you see fairly regularly (obvy goalies are rare).

There is a reason why you don't see slap shots on empty nets. You think Greig was the first player to ever think "wait, what if I took a slap shot?"

Multiple reasons, the main one being there's no reason to add risk to a gimme goal.
What are the multiple reasons you say there are?

You don't think OV, Matthews, Stamkos, Pastrnak, Draisaitl etc. have confidence in their slap shot?

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I want to see slapshots on the Leafs empty net become an NHL tradition going forward. Maybe we can even incorporate a MPH tracker for them and have a competition for who can hit the hardest one like at the all stars game. I think it will make the league a lot more fun. :nod:
Yes!

Would love to see that...

I do believe that this may begin to start unravelling more of the problems that likely exist with hockey culture

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

You don't think OV, Matthews, Stamkos, Pastrnak, Draisaitl etc. have confidence in their slap shot?
You ask for an explanation and get argumentative in the response :laugh:

You've never seen a stick break?

Some players don't think scoring ENs is all that impressive so they pass them off regularly, we watch it happen, so why would they want to emphatically score a goal?

They don't do it because it's showing up your opponent, you may not see it that way but many players would if they were on the receiving end. Greig obviously doesn't care about it.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Amazing some leaf fans more of problem with an empty net slap shot than a cross-check to the head. One action can concuss a player leaving him with possible lasting effects beyond his playing career, the other is hurt feelings. Truly amazing.
yup...its a sad, sad situation really...

bunch of sore losers that get their knickers in a knot cause they got outworked and are sore losers...

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005

No one has ever had an issue with backhanded ENG, banked shots ENG, lucky ENG, goalie ENG, or other ENGs that you see fairly regularly (obvy goalies are rare).

There is a reason why you don't see slap shots on empty nets. You think Greig was the first player to ever think "wait, what if I took a slap shot?"

These are not the types of players to slap into an empty net. None of them could be bothered to deal with what follows.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
You ask for an explanation and get argumentative in the response :laugh:

You've never seen a stick break?

Some players don't think scoring ENs is all that impressive so they pass them off regularly, we watch it happen, so why would they want to emphatically score a goal?

They don't do it because it's showing up your opponent, you may not see it that way but many players would if they were on the receiving end. Greig obviously doesn't care about it.
Exactly, and that is what I am saying. You show up your opponent and there will be a response.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Maybe convey your point instead of posting rhetorical questions.
I have absolutely no idea how you thought I think a slapshot at an ENG isn't showing up your opponent if you've followed the conversation along?

Like it was a perfect 180 degrees.

catnip

Jan 5, 2015
I only read the last page so I'm probably missing some nuance but... This feels like a joke thread. People seriously get "embarrased" and all bent-out-of-shape because someone takes a slapshot at an empty net? This shouldn't be an issue with anyone whose ability to self-regulate is above that of a petulant toddler.

Reactions: SEALBound

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Two things:

1. It's not hard to reason why we don't see slap shots taken on empty nets. I don't think it's a stretch at all to say that because they are less accurate and harder to control, we see players favor wrist and snapshots more often due to an incredibly higher ability to control accuracy. If Greig took the slapshot from center ice, doesn't that make it different? If a dman takes a clapper from the far goal line and it goes in, should he be suddenly at risk for a cross-check to the head? What if instead of a random dman, it's Reilly, Matthews, Marner, or Nylander?

When you break it down into the most basic elements - Reilly did not like the force Greig used to put the puck in the empty net and he cross-checked him in the head. If Greig took a snapshot from the slot and went bar down and celebrated, what then?

2. Again, you (and other Leaf fans / Reilly supporters) are failing to realize that the suspension has everything to do with Reilly's cross-check to the head, with intent to injure (and yes, there's 10000% intent for Reilly to use his stick to inflict force on Greig outside the ebs and flows of the game), after the whistle, and after a player scores a goal and is now unsuspecting. That's it. Period. There is no "well that's okay because of the shot Greig took". Nope, that's irrelevant.

If I'm Bettman and I get to the hearing, my opening statement is "This is NOT about Greig's slapshot, this suspension is 100% about your cross-check to the head after the whistle. I don't want to hear any mention of Greig or the event leading up to the crosscheck."

Plain fact of the matter is, Reilly got emotional and did something stupid. Again, he could have gone over and bumped into him, facewashed him, shoved or chirped him and it would have been done there. You could even have had Reilly challenge him to fight the next game. That is a reasonable execution of the "code" and one that could be understood. But if we apply the "if you do the crime, you do the time" idea to Greig, is MUST be applied to Reilly. You want to lose your temper and cross-check someone in the head because your feelings are hurt or "Muh Code!", that's fine but you better man the f*** up and take your suspension when you get it. Anything outside of that (or support for the idea that he shouldn't be suspended or have it reduced) is 100% Leaf fan entitlement.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
For all the credit professional hockey players get for being physically tough and playing through injuries, they sure are supremely soft when they perceive someone to have hurt their feelings.

Imagine if people start with goal celebrations again.

Ducer

Jan 20, 2021
Absolutely none would. Perhaps Tom Wilson and Reilly.

The rest would start a scrum.
Does this mean when Ullmark highsticked the Tampa player for bumping into him, the lightning players should of started a scrum with the goaltender or is there a unwritten rule that the players followed sort of like you shouldn't take a slap shot into a empty net.

Reactions: LivingRentFree

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Two things:

1. It's not hard to reason why we don't see slap shots taken on empty nets. I don't think it's a stretch at all to say that because they are less accurate and harder to control, we see players favor wrist and snapshots more often due to an incredibly higher ability to control accuracy. If Greig took the slapshot from center ice, doesn't that make it different? If a dman takes a clapper from the far goal line and it goes in, should he be suddenly at risk for a cross-check to the head? What if instead of a random dman, it's Reilly, Matthews, Marner, or Nylander?

When you break it down into the most basic elements - Reilly did not like the force Greig used to put the puck in the empty net and he cross-checked him in the head. If Greig took a snapshot from the slot and went bar down and celebrated, what then?

2. Again, you (and other Leaf fans / Reilly supporters) are failing to realize that the suspension has everything to do with Reilly's cross-check to the head, with intent to injure (and yes, there's 10000% intent for Reilly to use his stick to inflict force on Greig outside the ebs and flows of the game), after the whistle, and after a player scores a goal and is now unsuspecting. That's it. Period. There is no "well that's okay because of the shot Greig took". Nope, that's irrelevant.

If I'm Bettman and I get to the hearing, my opening statement is "This is NOT about Greig's slapshot, this suspension is 100% about your cross-check to the head after the whistle. I don't want to hear any mention of Greig or the event leading up to the crosscheck."

Plain fact of the matter is, Reilly got emotional and did something stupid. Again, he could have gone over and bumped into him, facewashed him, shoved or chirped him and it would have been done there. You could even have had Reilly challenge him to fight the next game. That is a reasonable execution of the "code" and one that could be understood. But if we apply the "if you do the crime, you do the time" idea to Greig, is MUST be applied to Reilly. You want to lose your temper and cross-check someone in the head because your feelings are hurt or "Muh Code!", that's fine but you better man the f*** up and take your suspension when you get it. Anything outside of that (or support for the idea that he shouldn't be suspended or have it reduced) is 100% Leaf fan entitlement.
100% he deserved to be suspended and he was. He isn't going to get any reduction in his suspension. I imagine the Leafs are going to use the meeting for other stuff.

99% of Leafs fans have said he deserved to be suspended. This was laid out from page 1 of the original thread, 350 pages and nearly a week ago). This has been going strong for nearly a week, wild.

The majority of Leafs fans have said, yes he deserved to be suspended, but the action deserved a response.
The majority of other fans have said this didn't even warrant a response, and Greig did nothing wrong.

That seems to be what is being discussed for the previous 350 pages.

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
100% he deserved to be suspended and he was. He isn't going to get any reduction in his suspension. I imagine the Leafs are going to use the meeting for other stuff.

99% of Leafs fans have said he deserved to be suspended. This was laid out from page 1 of the original thread, 350 pages and nearly a week ago). This has been going strong for nearly a week, wild.

The majority of Leafs fans have said, yes he deserved to be suspended, but the action deserved a response.
The majority of other fans have said this didn't even warrant a response, and Greig did nothing wrong.

That seems to be what is being discussed for the previous 350 pages.
99% of leafs fans think he should be suspended.

What we are saying is

1) We loved the response
2) We want a response more often
3) Thank you Ridly Greig for turning our season around.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Where are the other 350 opinions? Yeah majority. Have the majority of them spoken of the situation? Have you heard every interview? Making stuff up is easy.

Some NHLers and ex NHLs that have no problem with the slap shot either.

Well I've heard one ex NHLer take Greigs side, Lundqvist. I've heard a lot more criticize him, so yes that would be a majority. Feel free to counter by posting all the non-Sens players defending it.

Reactions: ACC1224

Ducer

Jan 20, 2021
I would of been happy with a 3 game suspension because if Toronto does make the playoffs something will happen that will get us in a tizzy or enrage us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad