Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Did I say Grieg should expect a cross check to the face? You’re just trying to stir shit.

Most of us all know that when you do something like the slap shot on the open net, something is coming.

Those who say that nothing shoould happen, old school is stupid and blah blah blah are just as stupidly extreme as those who say that Rielly did nothing wrong.

Grieg knew he was being a dick. He loved it. And good for him. Good for his fans. Hell, good if lots of fans just like it because it stirs the pot and might make the next leafs v sens games exciting.

But to even suggest that Grieg didn’t know he was causing shit and that any kind of response at all is a no no….I’ll just say you’re watching the wrong sport.

Go be a SJW in your community or something lol
I'm sure he knew something was coming because he knows a ton of hockey players have the emotional capacity of a toddler. The proper response to what he did is mild annoyance, maybe a quick F you if you're feeling cheeky, and then don't let him in a position to take slap shots on empty netters next time you play. Now like I said, he probably expected more since the NHL has a long and somehow revered history of guys lashing out over the tiniest of sleights, but that doesn't do anything to excuse it.

I would love if a bunch of new players would thumb their nose at the old time hockey code and take whatever comes their way for it. Let them prove either why it works or that they are the thin-skinned fake tough guys I think they are.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Yeah, there shouldn't be head-shots everyone is behind that. A fine would have been and excellent deterrent. why can't we get behind that? A Kangaroo court as Allen Walsh called it.

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha.

You lost all credibility as soon as you said Allan Walsh.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Did I say Grieg should expect a cross check to the face? You’re just trying to stir shit.

Most of us all know that when you do something like the slap shot on the open net, something is coming.

Those who say that nothing shoould happen, old school is stupid and blah blah blah are just as stupidly extreme as those who say that Rielly did nothing wrong.

Grieg knew he was being a dick. He loved it. And good for him. Good for his fans. Hell, good if lots of fans just like it because it stirs the pot and might make the next leafs v sens games exciting.

But to even suggest that Grieg didn’t know he was causing shit and that any kind of response at all is a no no….I’ll just say you’re watching the wrong sport.

Go be a SJW in your community or something lol
Whatever Grieg did to stir the pot is irrelevant. Payback can come in various ways that are "legal" in hockey. Not only did Rielly take the bait he did it in a vicious and dangerous way. He has to accept the consequences!

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Whatever Grieg did to stir the pot is irrelevant. Payback can come in various ways that are "legal" in hockey. Not only did Rielly take the bait he did it in a vicious and dangerous way. He has to accept the consequences!
right, even if Grieg actually did something wrong here, that would just mean BOTH of them deserve some punishment.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014

AND it was done after the whistle

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Bwahahahahahahahahahaha. He heads the NHLPA.

No he doesn't, at least not yet. But he is positioning himself to become the head. Which is exactly why he makes inflammatory posts like this. He has an agenda. That's why he has no credibility.

That's like saying the leader of the opposition in parliament is correct because what he said is the opposite of the prime minister. Of f***ing course he said the opposite. That's his job.

• Haha
Reactions: Leaf Fans

ALine

May 14, 2012
Lol, a poor judgement call was Rielly deciding to crosscheck a guy in the head. The DoPS finally showing some consistency is what everybody should want, they applied a very consistent standard to Perron and Rielly, there's room for variation, but 4-6 games is what I said going in based on whether Rielly successfully convinces them that his stick riding up was a factor, and it looks like the end result will still fall in that 4-6 range
2 similar incidents in the same year getting a similar ruling does not equal consistency. Not when we’ve seen much worse even this year get a slap on the wrist with a fine (Trouba swinging for the fences).

And that’s not to mention the past few years being wildly inconsistent. Head shots, whether intentional or not, is not breaking news for the nhl. They’ve espoused clamping down on them for years. But have been doing a terrible job having a consistent ruling on these types of hits.

2 occurrences does not a pattern make. This is why you have fans saying anything from just a fine, maybe, to 10+ games and call the cops.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't understand why the suspension is controversial or divisive in any way other than it's Toronto involved.

He responded to a hockey play that broke no rules and endangered no one's safety with something with clear risk of injury that can't in any way be explained as a hockey play.

I feel as though they are making arguments based on precedent that only partially matches that.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
5 was minimum IMO. I understand what he did but he did it poorly. I thought it could’ve gone to 10.
I’ve played sports with enough guys over the years to see that frustrated idiocy.
If he had taken one more stride and gotten in his face and even done the same thing it’d be a fine or nothing but he saw Red.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
No he doesn't, at least not yet. But he is positioning himself to become the head. Which is exactly why he makes inflammatory posts like this. He has an agenda. That's why he has no credibility.

That's like saying the leader of the opposition in parliament is correct because what he said is the opposite of the prime minister. Of f***ing course he said the opposite. That's his job.
I actually can't argue with that. He is likely going to be the NHLPA head. However, he is not now.

It is not anything thing like "saying the leader of the opposition in parliament is correct because what he said is the opposite of the prime minister." Although the opposition leader could be right regardless of any agenda he might have. But yeah in your straw man he is not right just because he says something contrary.
He does have credibility though.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
2 similar incidents in the same year getting a similar ruling does not equal consistency. Not when we’ve seen much worse even this year get a slap on the wrist with a fine (Trouba swinging for the fences).

And that’s not to mention the past few years being wildly inconsistent. Head shots, whether intentional or not, is not breaking news for the nhl. They’ve espoused clamping down on them for years. But have been doing a terrible job having a consistent ruling on these types of hits.

2 occurrences does not a pattern make. This is why you have fans saying anything from just a fine, maybe, to 10+ games and call the cops.

Do you have a 3rd occurrence this year that hasn't received a 5-6 game suspension? No? That's what I thought.

Stop clinging onto things that happened many years ago. The league is different. They take head shots more seriously now.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023

All true.

They have no mechanics or system to this. No matrix or algorithm of this gets you this and that gets you that. All arbitrary and on the fly so natural for it to be completely inconsistent. Further, uncertain why but, it is obvious they want it this way.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

2 very similar incidents getting very similar rulings is the definition of "finally showing some consistency", it has to start somewhere, looking back and complaining that it wasn't consistent prior doesn't really move the needle when the whole point is this is the beginning consistency.

You want consistency, well that means having this suspension look like the last one, which is what we saw. We're seeing it with a few recent illegal check to the head suspensions too, Gallagher, Dillon and Zadorov all seemed to be in the same ballpark with the unique elements of their specific situation justifying the different rulings.

Lets see if it can continue, hopefully finally showing some consistency becomes them being a model of consistency, but with how loud the media and Toronto brass are complaining this one was too stiff, I'm not holding my breath.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I don't understand why the suspension is controversial or divisive in any way other than it's Toronto involved.

He responded to a hockey play that broke no rules and endangered no one's safety with something with clear risk of injury that can't in any way be explained as a hockey play.

I feel as though they are making arguments based on precedent that only partially matches that.

You're allowed to injure other players if they offend you, like here where the puck was shot too hard into an empty net. It's common sense in any level of hockey. The only exception is if you slapshot the puck at other players, then you only get a few shoves and words.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We have had head-shots regardless of fines and suspensions.
Then I guess we need to impose more severe deterrents, I suppose you'll be canvasing Rielly to resign from hockey permanently, hopefully harakiri will not be necessary.

Last edited:

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
4 playoff games, not quite the same thing.

Didn't seem to matter for Bunting, who was given the same or more games than every other hit to the head last season (including the two games his victim got earlier in the year lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad