Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Simplify all you want. Whatever works for you. If stuff like Grieg did becomes a norm in the nhl and is praised…the game will lose millions of followers. And it’ll probably gain a bunch too.

It’s cool to be an asshole I guess lol
the leafs can be mad and go after him during the next game. That’s cool. That’s hockey. But I hate how everything turns into bs scrums and cross checks and punches after the whistle. Play the game and deal with shit within the game itself.

Reactions: Seattle Totems

Powinkle

Mar 25, 2016
Chico
They practice slapshots into empty nets in warm ups. This all was a powder keg ready to explode.

Kerfoot in particular seems to be a true menace.

• Haha
Reactions: Relapsing

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
I’m

Again…who said it’s “unacceptable”. I’m just saying…if you do it you’re gonna have to answer for it. I actually went so far to say that he’s free to do it and it can even be seen as a good thing in certain ways. I never said he should have been given a penalty.

wtf is up with people reading things and twisting them in their heads? Lol
You literally said, 'I guarantee every player, coach, DoPS, Bettman (etc etc) are not okay with what Greig did.'

My apologies for putting the word 'unacceptable' in your mouth. But if youre trying to say that 'every single person involved in the league and who makes the rules not being okay with something' does not equal 'unacceptable' then we're really splitting hairs.

But the main point, if Bettman, the owners, GMs, etc, Literally everyone who has any say in how hockey is governed, were not okay with it, it would be in the rules.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
The severity of the hit.
Just so I am on the same page...intent doesn't matter...only how injured said player is after a blindside crosscheck to a players upper body? Am I understanding you correctly? So, Grieg is out with a concussion for 20 games then Reilly should get? 20 games? Since he is ok, just a fine?

How would a fine discourage future behavior?

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Simplify all you want. Whatever works for you. If stuff like Grieg did becomes a norm in the nhl and is praised…the game will lose millions of followers. And it’ll probably gain a bunch too.
Nothing stays static in life. Everything changes. Even the game of hockey. What one generation finds entertaining, another may not. And that's perfectly ok. The game will lose and gain fans for a variety of reasons. Maybe what Greig did is a factor, maybe it isn't. The tuth is you'll never really know.

So why dwell on it? Watch the next game. Enjoy the season and the performance of the team you like and the players that play for it.

I love what Greig did because he plays for my team. I'd love it less if he did it against my team. Reilly responding, I get. How he responded was inappropriate, and he's been suspended for it.

49 pages of chatter boils down to that simple truth.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Pinto knew what he was doing and didn't lose any salary, should of been banned for life.
He wasn't paid during the suspension. His contract is only $775,000 this year of which he'll only receive half that amount ($359,245), so it did hurt him financially. He scored 20 goals last year, should've been paid between $2-2.5 million if not for this (and cap space issues).

Banned for life, really? He allowed 3rd party access to his account, no gambling on NHL games. It isn't illegal but it does violate the terms and conditions of account usage. If you or I gave access to our account to someone else, and they found out about it, they would ban your account. That's it.

How do you know he knew what he was doing? When you create any account, do you read all of the terms and conditions? He's young and either didn't know the terms or didn't take them seriously enough. Now he knows (as do all of the other players who gamble).

Last edited:
Reactions: Korpse

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
i would love it if gary upped it to 10

He'll never do that because then it can go to an independent arbitrator which they know will reduce it to under 5.

That's why he got 5 to begin with, they want to avoid the option of going to the arbitrator. The moment it hits 6, it opens the door to the independent arbitrator.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Just so I am on the same page...intent doesn't matter...only how injured said player is after a blindside crosscheck to a players upper body? Am I understanding you correctly? So, Grieg is out with a concussion for 20 games then Reilly should get? 20 games? Since he is ok, just a fine?

How would a fine discourage future behavior?

only how injured said player is after a blindside crosscheck to a players upper body?
this is not something I have said or claimed. So, if that is what you think, then, no, you are not understanding me correctly.
I stated that I didn't think the hit was severe. It warranted a fine in my opinion.
I think intent does matter.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
this is not something I have said or claimed. So, if that is what you think, then, no, you are not understanding me correctly.
I stated that I didn't think the hit was severe. It warranted a fine in my opinion.
I think intent does matter.
what in your humble opinion was his intent?

you did not dispute the blindside crosscheck to the upper body, correct?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Appealing the suspension is classless.
The move itself was classless.

Defending or justifying the action is classless.

Claiming this is all a conspiracy and the league is unfairly targetting Leafs players is classless.

The future complaints about the suspension being upheld coming from talking heads and via twitter will all be classless too.

It's like this whole situation is...classless.

what in your humble opinion was his intent?

you did not dispute the blindside crosscheck to the upper body, correct?
No, no, it's cool. He embarrassed a mentally fragile team, so Greig had it coming. A sucker punch, a blindside hit, being lumberjacked off the ice, all of it!

God help someone changing lanes infront of these people on their way to work....

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
intent vs severity?

again, help me understand?

Grieg would need to be "severely" hurt or injured under your interpretation.

Basically, if Reilly made severe contact then? What? This is where intent matters. He intended to injure Grieg. Do you dispute that?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
intent vs severity?

again, help me understand?

Grieg would need to be "severely" hurt or injured under your interpretation.

Basically, if Reilly made severe contact then? What? This is where intent matters. He intended to injure Grieg. Do you dispute that?

Yes.

I don't think he intended to injure Greig. Even Grieg doesn't think he intended to injure him.

It seems you do though.

• Haha
Reactions: stampedingviking

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Yes.

I don't think he intended to injure Greig. Even Grieg doesn't think he intended to injure him.

It seems you do though.
Yeah but Grieg was recently forcefully hit in the head by a lunatic. His testimony right now might not be accurate.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Lol. He most definitely would not be charged with assault if this happened in a rec league game.
This literally has happened in Canada.

I don't get it with some fans. It's just a game. We shouldn't be so desensitized to shit like this. There is no reason to defend a player for assaulting another player because he took a slap shot.

Reilly should show remorse and accept his punishment. Instead he's doubling down and trying to appeal. He should get more games based on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad