Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
This literally has happened in Canada.

I don't get it with some fans. It's just a game. We shouldn't be so desensitized to shit like this. There is no reason to defend a player for assaulting another player because he took a slap shot.

Reilly should show remorse and accept his punishment. Instead he's doubling down and trying to appeal. He should get more games based on that.
Slow remorse? Is Greig dead? Reilly probably regrets not hitting him hard enough to actually hurt him.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Simplify all you want. Whatever works for you. If stuff like Grieg did becomes a norm in the nhl and is praised…the game will lose millions of followers. And it’ll probably gain a bunch too.

It’s cool to be an asshole I guess lol
And somehow violence isnt being an asshole. Imagine if nfl players were as big babies about ither players doing 1st down or touchdown celebrations and dances.

Reactions: Seattle Totems

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
And somehow violence isnt being an asshole. Imagine if nfl players were as big babies about ither players doing 1st down or touchdown celebrations and dances.
Imagine that.
They already have a 15 yard penalty for taunting.

Last edited:

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Morgan Rielly is a respected player in the league, guaranteed about 100 times more respected than George Parros. And tonight's Jenner hit on Greig is what happens when a community suspects one of their own got jobbed by an idiot like Parros.
Whiny and conspiracy minded is all I got from your post.

George Parros was an NHL enforcer who never received a fine or suspension over his entire career. Think about that for a moment. Outside of lala land Parros was actually pretty damn respected as a player. Ironically... he is less respected as head of player safety because fans generally think he is too lenient.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

Are we talking about the same league that calls a penalty for taunting?

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
The injustice isn’t the 5 games. It’s what others got in comparison for hits even we can agree are suspendible. I am more than fine with this as long as it continues.

And lose the bs surrounding hockey play. Dirty is dirty.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Whiny and conspiracy minded is all I got from your post.

George Parros was an NHL enforcer who never received a fine or suspension over his entire career. Think about that for a moment. Outside of lala land Parros was actually pretty damn respected as a player. Ironically... he is less respected as head of player safety because fans generally think he is too lenient.
Whiny and conspiracy minded is all I got from your post. He is less respected as head of player safety because fans generally think he is too inconsistent.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Simplify all you want. Whatever works for you. If stuff like Grieg did becomes a norm in the nhl and is praised…the game will lose millions of followers. And it’ll probably gain a bunch too.

It’s cool to be an asshole I guess lol
You do remember the other party involved in this was blasting off on a guy's head with his stick? Who is the bigger asshole as far as optics from followers and outsiders?

5minutemajor

Mar 23, 2018
He'll never do that because then it can go to an independent arbitrator which they know will reduce it to under 5.

That's why he got 5 to begin with, they want to avoid the option of going to the arbitrator. The moment it hits 6, it opens the door to the independent arbitrator.
The independent arbitraror is not to be afraid of in this case. They would not reduce it.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
The independent arbitraror is not to be afraid of in this case. They would not reduce it.

They usually reduce lengthy suspensions for first time offenders. It takes forever though, so you just do it for reputation/money.

As far as I'm aware David Perron is still appealing his suspension to an independent arbitrator. It appeared he did but I can't find any new information on it.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
The current arbitration rules for on-ice suspensions have been collectively bargained between the NHLPA and NHL—the NHL hasn’t unilaterally imposed the rules.

If the NHLPA wants to negotiate changes, such as reducing the arbitrator appeal threshold, or removing the commissioner from the appeal process, that’s something they can do now or in the next CBA cycle.

The NHL has zero interest in going to an independent arbitrator directly. The players have pushed for it many times, including during the lockouts and the NHL will simply not entertain it. It's basically the NHL unilaterally imposing it because they will not agree to change it.

Let's also not ignore that the NHL tries to only hire arbitrators that agree with them. They fire arbitrators that disagree with them. It's the most one-sided appeal process in sports.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I disputed the blindside of it. I think his his intent was to give the kid his comeuppance, not an attempt to hurt him or even knock the head.
Do you know the definition of comeuppance?
"a punishment or fate that someone deserves."

And you feel like Reilly is judge jury and executioner of the comeuppance?

There's no way for you to square your definition and the actual definition.

Yours is vigilantism. Yeah, not gonna fly. Sorry

Reactions: DingerMcSlapshot

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
I hope every team does the empty net slapper against the leafs for the rest of the season.
An empty net slapper is not disrespectful. An empty net and just one hand sliding the puck barely over the goal line. Is more disrespectful. But it's acceptable? Fragile egos at work.

Reactions: kihei

Ducer

Jan 20, 2021
Just think after expansion this rivalry is going to turn into a outdoor 2 day Bettman series special to squeeze as much as he can out of the fans.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Do you know the definition of comeuppance?
"a punishment or fate that someone deserves."

And you feel like Reilly is judge jury and executioner of the comeuppance?

There's no way for you to square your definition and the actual definition.

Yours is vigilantism. Yeah, not gonna fly. Sorry
Indeed, that remains the accurate definition. My understanding aligns with the denotation, despite your attempt to impose an alternative definition that you have created for me. Furthermore, your insistence on me adhering to a definition that you've arbitrarily constructed is meaningless.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Let's also not ignore that the NHL tries to only hire arbitrators that agree with them. They fire arbitrators that disagree with them. It's the most one-sided appeal process in sports.

And likewise the NHLPA also tries to only hire arbitrators that will agree with them. But neither side has the power to unilaterally select an arbitrator. It requires mutual agreement between the NHL and PA.

The tweet you quoted showed an example of the NHLPA firing an arbitrator that disagreed with them--Richard Bloch. Then jointly agreeing with the NHL to appoint George Nicholu as the next arbitrator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad