Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Whoa, tie an R-shaped ribbon 'round the ole oak tree
It's been five long games, do you still want me?
If I don't see an R-shaped ribbon round the ole oak tree
I'll stay on the charter, forget about us, put the blame on me
If I don't see an R-shaped ribbon 'round the ole oak tree...

In support of Morgan Rielly

1000003093.jpg

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Even the punch in the face thing is stupid. You got insulted? Cool.

If someone walked up to you in the street and said "you suck at your job" and walked away...this is insulting..this is disrespectful. It's your career. Your livelihood.

Are you chasing him down to punch him in the face? Does he deserve concussion/brain damage/ permanent injury/ maybe death... Because he was disrespectful to you about your job?

Try applying any type of normal common sense to this, and it becomes extremely stupid sounding to try to defend Morgan Rielly attacking someone because he got his feelings hurt.
In a league and a sport where you get 5 minutes for fighting then it becomes part of the game. It's shocking that fans are in denial about this. Let me say it again: 5 minute penalty for fighting.

Reactions: LivingRentFree

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
The NHL has zero interest in going to an independent arbitrator directly. The players have pushed for it many times, including during the lockouts and the NHL will simply not entertain it. It's basically the NHL unilaterally imposing it because they will not agree to change it.

Let's also not ignore that the NHL tries to only hire arbitrators that agree with them. They fire arbitrators that disagree with them. It's the most one-sided appeal process in sports.

This league is so corrupt.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Even the punch in the face thing is stupid. You got insulted? Cool.

If someone walked up to you in the street and said "you suck at your job" and walked away...this is insulting..this is disrespectful. It's your career. Your livelihood.

Are you chasing him down to punch him in the face? Does he deserve concussion/brain damage/ permanent injury/ maybe death... Because he was disrespectful to you about your job?

Try applying any type of normal common sense to this, and it becomes extremely stupid sounding to try to defend Morgan Rielly attacking someone because he got his feelings hurt.

Yes if someone punches you in the face on the street it's assault. In hockey it's a 5 minute penalty.

What if I go to file my TPS reports and someone bodychecks me into the water cooler?!? Is that fair? Then why do we allow it in hockey smdh.

Imagine thinking the same "common sense" that would apply to a stranger in your normal civilian life has any bearing on what goes on in a physical professional sport. Some of you are unbelievably weird.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Let's also not ignore that the NHL tries to only hire arbitrators that agree with them. They fire arbitrators that disagree with them. It's the most one-sided appeal process in sports.
What a bunch of nonsense...

Both the NHL and the NHLPA have to agree on the hiring of an arbitrator, and either party has the right to dismiss them every September and jointly hire a new one.

They each have the exact same rights when it comes to who the independent arbitrators are and the NHLPA negotiated that process, so if they don't like it they can try and change it next round.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Whoa, tie an R-shaped ribbon 'round the ole oak tree
It's been five long games, do you still want me?
If I don't see an R-shaped ribbon round the ole oak tree
I'll stay on the charter, forget about us, put the blame on me
If I don't see an R-shaped ribbon 'round the ole oak tree...

In support of Morgan Rielly

View attachment 819974
Should not it be a maple tree instead?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It truly is. MLSE, Bell, and Rogers have complete control and a choke hold around the NHL and they can do whatever they want. Everything is rigged and in favour of the Leafs. Or at least thats what ive been told by some posters :sarcasm:
It would certainly explain all the success.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
That is what you think the core issue is. In reality he got 5 games for what should have been a fine.
Anytime you cross-check someone in the head you should be suspended. If it happens after the whistle then you should get more games than if it was during the play.

It's pretty easy, most rationale people would agree.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
It is stupid, but how is it soft? Wouldn't doing nothing be soft?
It certainly isn't hard. He took a little baby fit and went after a guy with a stick. He hurts his team by getting suspended 5 games when they need him for absolutely no gain. Do you think a player like Grieg wouldn't trade a cheap shot for a competitor missing their 1D for 5 games any day of the week? So yeah, I do call Morgan Rielly's hissy fit soft and stupid.

Last edited:
Reactions: TooManyHumans

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I certainly isn't hard. He took a little baby fit and went after a guy with a stick. He hurts his team by getting suspended 5 games when they need him for absolutely no gain. Do you think a player like Grieg wouldn't trade a cheap shot for a competitor missing their 1D for 5 games any day of the week? So yeah, I do call Morgan Rielly's hissy fit soft and stup
everyone is entitled to their opinion. Let's hope that this type of incident doesn't happen again.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
In a league and a sport where you get 5 minutes for fighting then it becomes part of the game. It's shocking that fans are in denial about this. Let me say it again: 5 minute penalty for fighting.
You are missing something very important - consent. Two people are allowed to fight each other if both consent in life & sports. You may pick up a different charge like disturbing the peace if it is in public, but not for fighting.

If you blindside a guy in the head with a stick in life, you will certainly be guilty of a crime. A 5 game suspension seems like he got off pretty light.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
You're delusional if you think a 2 handed stick to the head long after the whistle for a player taking a harmless shot warrants only a fine where the max fine is pitiful
Agreed. I'm a Leaf fan and think Morgan deserved to be suspended. I think 5 games is steep considering the player and his history but I until they make that max fine a real value, it's not going to do anything.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
The Chiasson suspension happened 3 years ago. It's not relevant to the discussion.

The more recent precedent is the Perron suspension, which happened 2 months ago.
Why does timing matter? The league had the same stance on cross checks to the head 3 years ago. The Perron one is a bad comparable because Zub did nothing to provoke the attack

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
The Leaf's organization is really playing the victim card on this one. Take you medicine and move on. Appeal to Bettman is a PR move- he won't change the suspension.

I wouldn't mind an independent arbitrator agreed to by both sides NHL/NHLPA before season starts for all appeals but like contesting a speeding ticket it can't be free of consequences. When I contest a speeding ticket I pay more in fees if I lose. If you appeal a suspension to arbitrator, make it that if the suspension is upheld and not reduced a extra game gets added on. Then only legit grievances would be appealed

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Yes if someone punches you in the face on the street it's assault. In hockey it's a 5 minute penalty.

What if I go to file my TPS reports and someone bodychecks me into the water cooler?!? Is that fair? Then why do we allow it in hockey smdh.

Imagine thinking the same "common sense" that would apply to a stranger in your normal civilian life has any bearing on what goes on in a physical professional sport. Some of you are unbelievably weird.
Terry Tate, office linebacker

Yesterday I told my aunt that it looked like she had gotten fat, but instead of talking with me about how to go to the gym and lose the weight, she just cried a lot and now my uncle keeps getting in my face. It's totally true though, she looks like she put on 20 in the last year. Since when is telling the truth against the rules? Ugh, unwritten rules and codes are so stupid.

Honestly, I'm hitting the point in most of my hobbies where I do think it's time to start gatekeeping. Seems like there's a whole lot of people who don't care about passion, team identity, or authentic competition any more. Good on Greig for doing something to piss Rielly off, and good on Rielly for responding. Obviously, you cannot cross-check a man in the face, which is why Rielly is getting suspended. But this is the exact sort of thing that makes SPORTS a compelling entertainment product. People who post garbage about how codes are stupid a) clearly aren't paying attention to the rest of their lives and b) seem hell-bound on ruining hockey or the rest of us.

At no point should cross-checking to the face be okay, but the entire meta discussion surrounding codes should be shown the door. I didn't write the code, I'm just explaining the code, and the code will change with time, but I will defend the code to my dying breath because the game is better with the code than without. Even if it's all made up, which it is, none of this is real life, it makes the game better because it gives the players something to stand for. In a day and age where no one seems to stand for anything, I want my entertainment to stand for something, even if it's pretend.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Why does timing matter? The league had the same stance on cross checks to the head 3 years ago. The Perron one is a bad comparable because Zub did nothing to provoke the attack
What matters is the perspective of the assailant, from Perron's perspective, Zub was responsible or involved in his team mate lying on the ice, while from Rielly's perspective, Greig was responsible for... being a bit too antagonizing?

So sure, it's a bad comparable in the sense that what Perron thought Zub did was much worse than what Rielly thought Greig did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad