Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
If you check under my profile picture, you can see I am very much a supporter of strict punishment of bad deeds. I just thought it was funny the video I posted got 0 and this one got 5.

I would increase Reillys suspension to 7 or 8 games because he had the nerve to appeal though and add a 100 000$ fine to teach him some manners!
Fair enough..But fwiw, Calvert got 1 game. And that was the playoffs I believe? So what is the hfboards rule of thumb for playoff games vs regular season?

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
I'd like to know what MR's argument is going to be. At its core, Rielly's issue is that Greig's actions hurt his feelings and the only way he knew how to make himself feel better was to cross-check him in the head.

NHL's version of "Im offended"
There is a body of 300 million 11 different instances where DPoS applies inconsistent consequences to similar behaviors. It wouldn't be hard to demonstrate where worse offenses got no or lower punishments. My hope is that this is fought for no other reason than to get it all out and embarass the NHL and the NHL DPoS so badly they finally make real changes.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Come on. The distance that Rielly took to attack Grieg played a part. So much distance that Grieg had plenty of time to see him coming and he did. He watched him the whole way.

Putting up his hand, I think, played a part in where the stick ended up. Still way too high to start but again, different than Perron on Zub.

Zub had no time and his hand played zero part in where Perrons stick went. It also looked like Perron connected harder than Rielly.

All things that can be brought up at the appeal.

Will anything change it? Who knows. Im guessing probably not. But hoping it will….just so the leafs haters hate them even more lol

Greig isn't facing Rielly at first, he only turns his head to look at him moments before the cross check, literally less than a second. Rielly had been pursuing him from the top of the circle, hence why Rielly had significant distance travelled, where as Greig was only aware of the incoming crosscheck at the last moment. Similarly, though Perron was in his field of vision the whole time, Zub only at the last moment recoils back, and braces for the crosscheck, thinking it would go to the body he brings his arm in to absorb it, but Perron goes high and over, if anything, Zub actually had more of a response to the incoming crosscheck than Greig, he just guessed wrong as to what the target was.

The video by the DOPS already addressed whether Greig's hand affected the trajectory of Rielly's crosscheck, it is their opinion it did not in any significant manner, the slight deviation in the trajectory might be why they went with 5 games instead of 6, who knows. Perhaps Bettman will disagree with them, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I don't really care how many games Rielly is suspended for other than in relation to it being a fair and consistent deterrent to future incidents. Whether Rielly gets 5 or they bring it down to 4 has no impact on my team, so whatever, I have very little vested interest at this point.

To me, the Perron one is very similar, so I use it as a baseline, and the slight differences are why Rielly getting 5 makes sense, even though Perron also missed nearly an entire game as a result of his misconduct while Rielly didn't really miss a shift.

I think the NHLPA will have a really tough time getting any games taken off since all their talking points are likely to have already been considered, and/or were addressed and rejected when Perron appealed his number, but we will see.

Reactions: swiftwin

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
This will be the fastest appeal in history. Again, they made it 5 so that Bettman could end the appeal fast and be done.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I'd like to know what MR's argument is going to be. At its core, Rielly's issue is that Greig's actions hurt his feelings and the only way he knew how to make himself feel better was to cross-check him in the head.

NHL's version of "Im offended"
That is what you think the core issue is. In reality he got 5 games for what should have been a fine.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
Greig isn't facing Rielly at first, he only turns his head to look at him moments before the cross check, literally less than a second. Rielly had been pursuing him from the top of the circle, hence why Rielly had significant distance travelled, where as Greig was only aware of the incoming crosscheck at the last moment. Similarly, though Perron was in his field of vision the whole time, Zub only at the last moment recoils back, and braces for the crosscheck, thinking it would go to the body he brings his arm in to absorb it, but Perron goes high and over, if anything, Zub actually had more of a response to the incoming crosscheck than Greig, he just guessed wrong as to what the target was.

The video by the DOPS already addressed whether Greig's hand affected the trajectory of Rielly's crosscheck, it is their opinion it did not in any significant manner, the slight deviation in the trajectory might be why they went with 5 games instead of 6, who knows. Perhaps Bettman will disagree with them, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I don't really care how many games Rielly is suspended for other than in relation to it being a fair and consistent deterrent to future incidents. Whether Rielly gets 5 or they bring it down to 4 has no impact on my team, so whatever, I have very little vested interest at this point.

To me, the Perron one is very similar, so I use it as a baseline, and the slight differences are why Rielly getting 5 makes sense, even though Perron also missed nearly an entire game as a result of his misconduct while Rielly didn't really miss a shift.

I think the NHLPA will have a really tough time getting any games taken off since all their talking points are likely to have already been considered, and/or were addressed and rejected when Perron appealed his number, but we will see.
Yeah. It’ll depend on Bettman disagreeing with the DoPS.

Unlikely.

Btw…the second Grieg took the slap shot he knew something was coming when Rielly was skating towards him. Why did he know?

Because he knew he made a decision that every player in the nhl sees as asking for negative attention. Giroux and Norris both made it obvious in the their post games lol

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Perfect ad placement

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240214_170909_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240214_170909_Chrome.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 2

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
That is what you think he should have gotten. In reality, you're wrong.
No, I still think he should have gotten a fine. What he did get was 5 games which was a poor judgment call by the DPOS. The appeal is a good thing. No one knows what will happen.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
No, I still think he should have gotten a fine. What he did get was 5 games which was a poor judgment call by the DPOS. The appeal is a good thing. No one knows what will happen.
That's what I said though. You thought he should have gotten a fine, but you were wrong.

I can tell you what's going to happen with the appeal if you really want. Nothing!

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
That's what I said though. You thought he should have gotten a fine, but you were wrong.

I can tell you what's going to happen with the appeal if you really want. Nothing!
No, I still think he should have gotten a fine. The decision by the DOPS was an over reaction hence I support the appeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad