Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No, I still think he should have gotten a fine. What he did get was 5 games which was a poor judgment call by the DPOS. The appeal is a good thing. No one knows what will happen.
Lol, a poor judgement call was Rielly deciding to crosscheck a guy in the head. The DoPS finally showing some consistency is what everybody should want, they applied a very consistent standard to Perron and Rielly, there's room for variation, but 4-6 games is what I said going in based on whether Rielly successfully convinces them that his stick riding up was a factor, and it looks like the end result will still fall in that 4-6 range

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
I'd like to know what MR's argument is going to be. At its core, Rielly's issue is that Greig's actions hurt his feelings and the only way he knew how to make himself feel better was to cross-check him in the head.

NHL's version of "Im offended"
If they televised the appeals the appeals wouldn't happen. Its crazy to me that he skated all that way, crosschecked him in the neck, and has some pretty heavy balls to appeal. But maybe its a union thing? goes for the PDS side too as far as televising, btw, in my humble opinion.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If they televised the appeals the appeals wouldn't happen. Its crazy to me that he skated all that way, crosschecked him in the neck, and has some pretty heavy balls to appeal. But maybe its a union thing? goes for the PDS side too as far as televising, btw, in my humble opinion.
Perron appealed too, in the end, there isn't much risk to appealing, and you might as well get your monies worth out of union dues...

Reactions: Hextallent63

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Btw…the second Grieg took the slap shot he knew something was coming when Rielly was skating towards him. Why did he know?

Because he knew he made a decision that every player in the nhl sees as asking for negative attention. Giroux and Norris both made it obvious in the their post games lol

This makes no sense... are you implying that the crosscheck to the face should have been expected?

I mean a kid that breaks curfew would expect to be punished. But the expectation is getting grounded, not taken out back and being flogged. The latter would be an extreme over-reaction. Much like Reilly's crosscheck.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Lol, a poor judgement call was Rielly deciding to crosscheck a guy in the head. The DoPS finally showing some consistency is what everybody should want, they applied a very consistent standard to Perron and Rielly, there's room for variation, but 4-6 games is what I said going in based on whether Rielly successfully convinces them that his stick riding up was a factor, and it looks like the end result will still fall in that 4-6 range
There were a series of poor judgment calls starting with Greig, then Rielly and finally the DOPS.

ACLEVERNAME

Jan 6, 2010
The Leafs continue to embarrass themselves top to bottom. The players can't control their emotions on the ice or in the press, the coach is clinging to any and every talking point trying to deflect attention away from the fact he's leading a 'Stanley Cup contender' to their first missed playoffs in years, and now upper management enters the chat with 'high profile' entourages on suspension calls and refusing to accept rulings basically calling out the League and undermining the chain of command. All made very, very public in the media and online - a very big nono in these situations.

If they honestly thought there was a 'conspiracy' against them already just watch and see what happens now.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Has that ever happened that an appeal turned into more games?
Yes! Make it like a coach's challenge. If you challenge and fail you get an extra game suspension tacked on for wasting their time reviewing it lol

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
The DoPS made a call to deter dangerous shots to the head, and followed the recent precedent they'd set on a similar incident. You'd think that would be something everyone could get behind, but here we are...
Yeah, there shouldn't be head-shots everyone is behind that. A fine would have been and excellent deterrent. why can't we get behind that? A Kangaroo court as Allen Walsh called it.

Reactions: HofT

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
This makes no sense... are you implying that the crosscheck to the face should have been expected?

I mean a kid that breaks curfew would expect to be punished. But the expectation is getting grounded, not taken out back and being flogged. The latter would be an extreme over-reaction. Much like Reilly's crosscheck.
Did I say Grieg should expect a cross check to the face? You’re just trying to stir shit.

Most of us all know that when you do something like the slap shot on the open net, something is coming.

Those who say that nothing shoould happen, old school is stupid and blah blah blah are just as stupidly extreme as those who say that Rielly did nothing wrong.

Grieg knew he was being a dick. He loved it. And good for him. Good for his fans. Hell, good if lots of fans just like it because it stirs the pot and might make the next leafs v sens games exciting.

But to even suggest that Grieg didn’t know he was causing shit and that any kind of response at all is a no no….I’ll just say you’re watching the wrong sport.

Go be a SJW in your community or something lol

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Who leaked it btw? My bet is Colin Campbell lol. Man hates the Leafs, Parros is a useful puppet for getting the blame.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, there shouldn't be head-shots everyone is behind that. A fine would have been and excellent deterrent. why can't we get behind that? A Kangaroo court as Allen Walsh called it.

Must be why we have zero head shots in the game since a simple fine is sufficient deterrent, and we've seen plenty of overboard multigame suspensions,

Alan Walsh and his reputation for being even keeled, and not at all overly dramatic and biased towards his clients points a real exclamation point on your position too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad