Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
His appeal will get rejected just like Perron's did.

Well the first step is Bettman not bothering to even address the appeal until after the suspension has already been served so it's a moot point anyway.

But yes, then he'll reject it.

Ducer

Jan 20, 2021
100%

If it's just an average game against a random team, he wouldn't do it again.

If it's a spicy game against a rival? He would 100% do it again, but just differently. Maybe fake a slapper and let the puck trickle in?

He's a pest. This stuff is what pests do. Brad Marchard licked someone. Everyone freaked out, so he did it again. He only stopped doing it when the league stepped in.

What Greig did was 100% legal in every way imaginable. He'll do it again when the time is right.

SIX YEARS AGO.

Might as well bring up Scott Stevens hits and argue those were the precedent.
I know six years feels like a long time ago when Ottawa hasn't been in the playoff for that whole time.

Reactions: HofT

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
As ridiculous as DoPS is in terms of their standards for suspension, trying to compare a punishment in 2024 to one from 2017 is just dumb. Are you implying that fans have NOT been clamoring for more serious punishments for headshots?

100%

If it's just an average game against a random team, he wouldn't do it again.

If it's a spicy game against a rival? He would 100% do it again, but just differently. Maybe fake a slapper and let the puck trickle in?

He's a pest. This stuff is what pests do. Brad Marchard licked someone. Everyone freaked out, so he did it again. He only stopped doing it when the league stepped in.

What Greig did was 100% legal in every way imaginable. He'll do it again when the time is right.

SIX YEARS AGO.

Might as well bring up Scott Stevens hits and argue those were the precedent.

If you check under my profile picture, you can see I am very much a supporter of strict punishment of bad deeds. I just thought it was funny the video I posted got 0 and this one got 5.

I would increase Reillys suspension to 7 or 8 games because he had the nerve to appeal though and add a 100 000$ fine to teach him some manners!

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
I know six years feels like a long time ago when Ottawa hasn't been in the playoff for that whole time.

That hit literally happened in the playoffs when the Sens went to game 7 of the conference finals.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Yet despite our absence we've won more rounds than the Leafs in that span. :laugh:

That hit literally happened in the playoffs when the Sens went to game 7 of the conference finals.
Whoa whoa easy. Those are big words for some.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I wish these types of suspensions were less ambiguous.

Cross-check to the head should be X amount of games. Doesn't matter what the situation was. The current system is super confusing with some cross-checks to the head getting less and some getting more.

Any system should strive for consistency and it seems like the NHL has become a drunk man throwing darts at a board.

Very true. It's nonsense that Rielly got only 5 games when Perron got 6+1 (kicked out first period) games for the same thing. If the NHL was fair they would add a 2 game suspension to Rielly during the appeal to satisfy everyone.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
The guy you were quoting said 6 years. Sens have not been in the playoffs the past 6 years. Therefore it is impossible for them to have more series wins than the Leafs during that time.

Hope this helps.
OK, so you guys are bragging about having your season last a week and change longer than ours? Congratulations?

You could learn a thing or two from Panthers fans.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
OK, so you guys are bragging about having your season last a week and change longer than ours? Congratulations?

You could learn a thing or two from Panthers fans.
Where am I bragging? The Leafs are pathetic. Having more playoff series win in x amount of time isnt the sort of flex you think it is.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
The guy you were quoting said 6 years. Sens have not been in the playoffs the past 6 years. Therefore it is impossible for them to have more series wins than the Leafs during that time.

Hope this helps.

The Sens were in the playoffs roughly 6.7 years ago, which is when the crosscheck in the video you posted happened.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
The Sens were in the playoffs roughly 6.7 years ago, which is when the crosscheck in the video you posted happened.
I never posted a video lmao. Is it really that hard to track who said what?

Regardless their last 6 seasons they have not made the playoffs. I really don't know what is so difficult to follow.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Where am I bragging? The Leafs are pathetic. Having more playoff series win in x amount of time isnt the sort of flex you think it is.
Dude you jumped into a conversation where I was responding to someone else. If you're confused that's on you.

Your missing the playoff chirps isn't the flex you think it is either, not coming from Leaf fans and your one round victory in 6 years.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
I'd like to know what MR's argument is going to be. At its core, Rielly's issue is that Greig's actions hurt his feelings and the only way he knew how to make himself feel better was to cross-check him in the head.

NHL's version of "Im offended"

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I thought the same. Then I deleted my post because there's no way someone could make that mistake, but....it turns out 2016/2017 the Sens went the ECF.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I'd appeal as well (there's no downside) but I believe it will be upheld. It was appropriate, given the most recent comparable of Perron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad