Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Ullmark literally and purposefully slashed a Tampa Bay player IN THE HEAD.

Not. One. Game.

Make it make sense.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The whole 'you can do what you want, just be prepared to pay the consequences,' response seems kind of silly when what Greigg did is A) not against the rules in any shape or form and B) the 'consequence' is something that gets you an in-person hearing with the DoPS.

If anything, it should be ammended to, 'you can respond any way you want, just be prepared to pay the consequences.'

Now, if I'm Greigg, and the situation presents itself again, I may think, 'man, this one little action created so much controversy. Maybe I just won't this time.' But there's no way in hell I'm thinking, 'man, Reilly sure taught me a lesson last time. I don't want that to happen to me again so I better not do it.' In fact, Reilly's reaction and subsequent punishment would give me more motivation to do it again.

I think the attention and the controversy was part of the lesson.

While a pest, he’s a rookie, not Brad Marchand, so I think he’d rather toe the line rather than cross it so dramatically.

But I guess only he knows for sure.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
The whole 'you can do what you want, just be prepared to pay the consequences,' response seems kind of silly when what Greig did is A) not against the rules in any shape or form and B) the 'consequence' is something that gets you an in-person hearing with the DoPS.

If anything, it should be ammended to, 'you can respond any way you want, just be prepared to pay the consequences.'

Now, if I'm Greig, and the situation presents itself again, I may think, 'man, this one little action created so much controversy. Maybe I just won't this time.' But there's no way in hell I'm thinking, 'man, Reilly sure taught me a lesson last time. I don't want that to happen to me again so I better not do it.' In fact, Reilly's reaction and subsequent punishment would give me more motivation to do it again.

100%

If it's just an average game against a random team, he wouldn't do it again.

If it's a spicy game against a rival? He would 100% do it again, but just differently. Maybe fake a slapper and let the puck trickle in?

He's a pest. This stuff is what pests do. Brad Marchard licked someone. Everyone freaked out, so he did it again. He only stopped doing it when the league stepped in.

What Greig did was 100% legal in every way imaginable. He'll do it again when the time is right.

How many games did this get in comparison?

SIX YEARS AGO.

Might as well bring up Scott Stevens hits and argue those were the precedent.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
100%

If it's just an average game against a random team, he wouldn't do it again.

If it's a spicy game against a rival? He would 100% do it again, but just differently. Maybe fake a slapper and let the puck trickle in?

He's a pest. This stuff is what pests do. Brad Marchard licked someone. Everyone freaked out, so he did it again. He only stopped doing it when the league stepped in.

What Greig did was 100% legal in every way imaginable. He'll do it again when the time is right.

I’d be pretty surprised.

I don’t think he has the same desire for the spotlight as Brad Marchand, even if they are both agitators.

I suspect he’ll be more of a traditional pest than trying new things all the time like a Marchand or a Sean Avery.

I guess only time will tell.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
How many games did this get in comparison?

As ridiculous as DoPS is in terms of their standards for suspension, trying to compare a punishment in 2024 to one from 2017 is just dumb. Are you implying that fans have NOT been clamoring for more serious punishments for headshots?

• Haha
Reactions: HofT

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
I’d be pretty surprised.

I don’t think he has the same desire for the spotlight as Brad Marchand, even if they are both agitators.

I suspect he’ll be more of a traditional pest than trying new things all the time like a Marchand or a Sean Avery.

I guess only time will tell.
My guess is that he just got the taste for it and will only fuel his pesty game. I don’t like pesty players if they hurt someone physically, but getting rent free in players head is an art that shifts the ice.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
What about this crosscheck to the head?

Messier was not suspended for this.

THIS IS THE PRECEDENT! WHY DOES THE LEAGUE AND PARROS HATE THE LEAFS!

They let cross checks like Messier happen with no suspension, but they suspend Rielly? That's totally not fair! Parros should have suspended Messier. All I ask for is consistency!

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
That's why Rielly got 2 fewer games (when you factor in that Perron was ejected in the first period)

DoPS acknowledged the exact same thing in the Perron suspension video.

Neither did Rielly.

Irrelevant.

NO HE WASN'T! Zub didn't miss a shift. Why do Leafs fans keep repeating this lie? Do you have no shame?
Grieg put his hand up and was looking at Rielly the whole time simply because he knew something was coming because he knows what he did is stupid.

And Zub having nothing to with the incident is irrelevant how? Irrelevant that Perron went after a guy that wasn’t involved or that Rielly went after someone that was involved?

As for the injury…I thought he was injured. Sorry. I was wrong.

But you yelling about what people are saying…ummm that’s your issue lol

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Grieg put his hand up and was looking at Rielly the whole time simply because he knew something was coming because he knows what he did is stupid.

And Zub having nothing to with the incident is irrelevant how? Irrelevant that Perron went after a guy that wasn’t involved or that Rielly went after someone that was involved?

As for the injury…I thought he was injured. Sorry. I was wrong.

But you yelling about what people are saying…ummm that’s your issue lol

Zub also had his hand up:
Screenshot_20240214-134241.png

Yes it's irrelevant that Zub was not involved, because what Greig did was 100% legal. Now you're victim blaming. Even if Greig had done something illegal, it doesn't give Rielly a free pass to do whatever he wants. That's ridiculous. It's never ever been like that.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
Zub wasn't hurt, he finished the game.
Zub also raised his hand to defend himsf, though he got slightly less of the stick
Reilly didn't give Greig any more time to react, unless you're counting in milliseconds
While Zub did nothing, a Slapshot in an empty net as motivation seems to be less severe than the perception that a player was involved in a dirty hit on your team mate,

Perron got an extra game, and served a little over two thirds of a game by way of his game misconduct, so in essences practically missed two more games worth. That and his past fine likely are why Rielly got what he did and Perron what he did
Come on. The distance that Rielly took to attack Grieg played a part. So much distance that Grieg had plenty of time to see him coming and he did. He watched him the whole way.

Putting up his hand, I think, played a part in where the stick ended up. Still way too high to start but again, different than Perron on Zub.

Zub had no time and his hand played zero part in where Perrons stick went. It also looked like Perron connected harder than Rielly.

All things that can be brought up at the appeal.

Will anything change it? Who knows. Im guessing probably not. But hoping it will….just so the leafs haters hate them even more lol

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Maybe the NHLPA should start defending the victims rather than the perpetrators.
#justsaying

How exactly would they do that?

The role of the union is literally to represent the player in these suspensions. They are duty bound to do so.

This comes up in every suspension thread but it is like expecting public defenders to fight crime. The Players Union has neither the role nor capacity to do so.

Ducer

Jan 20, 2021
What about this crosscheck to the head?

Messier was not suspended for this.

THIS IS THE PRECEDENT! WHY DOES THE LEAGUE AND PARROS HATE THE LEAFS!

They let cross checks like Messier happen with no suspension, but they suspend Rielly? That's totally not fair! Parros should have suspended Messier. All I ask for is consistency!

There was no DOPS back then and Gilmour didn't stay down on the ice covering his face for 10 minutes.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
Zub also had his hand up:
View attachment 819641
Sorry but you’re cherry picking or didn’t watch the actual cross check.

This is so out of context. Zubs hand is up to draw attention that a guy is down hurt. He actually puts it down before Perron even starts the cross check.

Come on man.

Just watch it. Zubs hand has zero contact with Perrons stick. Straight to neck/head. Again…different than Rielly

Reactions: Farmboy Patty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad