Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
All false equivalencies. DOPS explained specifically why cross checks like these one are not the same as the Perron or Reilly cross check. Watch the video.
Lol these are all malicious crosschecks to the head. How are they different? 2 were even worse since they were directly to the face

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
The NHLPA should be more concerned about stupid shit like this causing someone a concussion. This could’ve easily resulted in something more serious. It was totally unnecessary and after the play. There’s no excuse for this.

Kinda like this one?

Funny the league didn't care enough about it enough to levy a suspension. All this "could happened" bullshit is just that.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Can that happen? I know if a court ruling is appealed, the appeals court can change the compensation/sentence up or down if they feel the previous ruling was too lenient/harsh. If the NHL points to the Perron suspension and says he should have got 6 games but shaved 1 off due to not having a history, can the arbiter tack on the extra game?

Also, I don't understand what Rielly's defence could be. "He did something that made me angry so I crosschecked him in the face" isn't much of a justification for appeal.
His defense will likely be

A. his stick rode up, it wasn't his intent to hit him in the head

B. No prior history

C. Other suspensions were shorter.

The first two were already addressed in the initial ruling, Bettman may chose to agree or disagree with how much of an impact they deserve when considering the length but nothing new here. The third was tried by Perron and Bettman already brushed it off as in compelling.

I doubt the appeal goes anywhere, it seems more about pageantry than realistically expecting a positive outcome, though I suppose you might as well challenge and get your money's worth out of union dues, not like Rielly has to do anything aside from say, yes, please appeal on my behalf while I sit at home and binge Netflix with Tessa.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Kinda like this one?

Funny the league didn't care enough about it enough to levy a suspension. All this "could happened" bullshit is just that.

The Reilly his is after the play, shot to the head and done with intent.

Yeah… exactly the same thing. :laugh:

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
I feel like these kind of bullshit appeals should just get additional games added on.

Perron got 6 games when he did something very similar earlier this year. Rielly is lucky that it only ended up 5 games.

It won’t amount to anything. It’s optics. It gives the NHLPA some feeling of reassurance that the process is impartial and just.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
If you want to compare hits, use something comparable. Go find a headshot after the play and the you can talk about the differences in what the league dishes out.

No. I'm talking about the possibility of something more serious. Could've Matthews gotten injured?

And Greig suffered nothing. The dive he took probably hurt more than the high stick.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
No. I'm talking about the possibility of something more serious. Could've Matthews gotten injured?

And Greig suffered nothing. The dive he took probably hurt more than the high stick.
They are completely different hits and circumstances. It’s a terrible comparison.

An intentional headshot after the play is inexcusable.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I’ve seen a lot of montages of plays circulating around the Twittersphere that are supposed comparables for the Rielly play and the most recent Perron play is almost always missing.

I don’t understand this level of wilful ignorance.

Even the language used in the explanations for both is virtually identical.

Reactions: swiftwin

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Can that happen? I know if a court ruling is appealed, the appeals court can change the compensation/sentence up or down if they feel the previous ruling was too lenient/harsh. If the NHL points to the Perron suspension and says he should have got 6 games but shaved 1 off due to not having a history, can the arbiter tack on the extra game?
So it can technically happen, yes.

However, since the original suspension from DOPS is only 5 games, the arbitrator is Gary Bettman, who is the first and only arbitrator for suspensions 5 games or less. If its 6 games or more then after Bettmans deliberation it can be appealed to a third party arbitrator. So if Bettman made it 6 or more, the leafs would then have the option of going to a third party but if Bettman/ DOPS keeps it to 5 and under then Bettman is the last say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad