Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
The usual suspects for Toronto with zero emotion
Marner, Matthews, Tavares, Nylander
Surprise surprise

rielly the only one that seems pissed at losing, domi as well.
But those 4 are like “don’t do this” or were exchanging Super Bowl picks.

Sad truth about this team. They don’t stand up for each other. I hate to say this as a Leaf fan they will not amount to anything noteworthy until they fully understand what It is to be a real teammate. I don’t think Rielly’s suspension will change that.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Craig button criticizing the Leafs? I don't believe it.
He isn't "criticizing" the Leafs though. How sensitive are people these days, jeesh.

On the plus side for Leafs fans, the guy logs a shit load of minutes and is about to get a few weeks rest before the most important time of the year. If they can tread water for 5 games, this could be a longer term benefit.

Reactions: NyQuil

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
"That thing you did is indefensible" isn't criticism?

Anyway, surely Button is this passionate every time someone uses their stick as a weapon in this league....

What happened to “under the no circumstances” righteous indignation from Button?! :laugh:

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Sad truth about this team. They don’t stand up for each other. I hate to say this as a Leaf fan they will not amount to anything noteworthy until they fully understand what It is to be a real teammate. I don’t think Rielly’s suspension will change that.
The net isn't a player, no matter how much it factors into Toronto's game. Rielly wasn't standing up for a player.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I feel like these kind of bullshit appeals should just get additional games added on.

Perron got 6 games when he did something very similar earlier this year. Rielly is lucky that it only ended up 5 games.

Reactions: swiftwin

Leafidelity

Existentially Drifting
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Pretty obvious they would appeal, 5 games is way too much.

The cancelled presser with Tre today tells me Gary has already worked something out to avoid more media.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Hard to imagine it getting reduced. Too similar and too soon after Perron. Suspect this is the NHLPA making sure they're flexing their muscles more often just to show they can do it rather than just accepting league edicts. Mostly posturing, but sensible from their POV.

Reactions: Micklebot

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.

The cancelled presser with Tre today tells me Gary has already worked something out to avoid more media.
As far as I can tell, this is the 4th appeal of the season. Perron, Mcavoy and Andersson all lost their appeals, so I wouldnt hold out much hope for Rielly to get his lowered but who the f*** knows.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
He isn't "criticizing" the Leafs though. How sensitive are people these days, jeesh.

On the plus side for Leafs fans, the guy logs a shit load of minutes and is about to get a few weeks rest before the most important time of the year. If they can tread water for 5 games, this could be a longer term benefit.

Already off to a good start, if last night's game was any indication.

So much hand-wringing and "omgz you guys the league is out to get us :scared:", from the fans, to the media, even the team......yet they still end up playing one of their most complete games of the season without Rielly.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Im sure Pete would give up some of that money to be allowed into the Hall of Fame... not that Pinto is in any danger of being a Hall of Famer

Given his decades of lies and obfuscation and then using his infamy to *make* money, I doubt Rose would give up money to get into the HoF (or more accurately to be unbanned from baseball).

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Pinto knew what he was doing and didn't lose any salary, should of been banned for life.
For life! Ban him for life! And then burn him at the stake too!

We await the appeal with baited breath! :scared:

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
I feel like these kind of bullshit appeals should just get additional games added on.

Perron got 6 games when he did something very similar earlier this year. Rielly is lucky that it only ended up 5 games.
Can that happen? I know if a court ruling is appealed, the appeals court can change the compensation/sentence up or down if they feel the previous ruling was too lenient/harsh. If the NHL points to the Perron suspension and says he should have got 6 games but shaved 1 off due to not having a history, can the arbiter tack on the extra game?

Also, I don't understand what Rielly's defence could be. "He did something that made me angry so I crosschecked him in the face" isn't much of a justification for appeal.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
The net isn't a player, no matter how much it factors into Toronto's game. Rielly wasn't standing up for a player.

I am not referring to any particular play. It’s my general observation of this team.
The core of Nylander, Tavares, Marner and Matthews have no interest in helping their teammates when there is a scrum. They are content to give a perfunctory hug or push and pretend they are actively participating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad