Morgan Rielly suspended for five games for cross-checking Ridly Greig in the head (Mod note in OP); upd: Rielly appealing his suspension (upheld)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Yeah theres no way Rielly would be afraid to throw hands with Greig.

The cope is hilarious :laugh:

Man already got dummied by someone smaller on the Leafs.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
It should've been a $2,000 fine or at most 2 games. Reilly has no history of violence or previous suspensions, I don't remember him being in a fight. The Leafs are considered to be a soft team by the rest of the league and if nothing was done after an opposing player shows up your team with a needless slapshot to get an empty netter everyone would say "see the Leafs are a bunch of wimps and show no grit or emotion", well I guess you can't say that now.
How does 90% of what you say matter?

Reilly has no history of violence or previous suspensions

There is always a first offense - and that event should be evaluated on those specific facts and circumstances. A repeated history can lead to greater penatly, but that wasn't the case here. (AKA - I I think Matt Cooke's last cheap shot got him 20+ games going from memory).

I don't remember him being in a fight.
Again - completely irrelevant to the discussion.

The Leafs are considered to be a soft team by the rest of the league and if nothing was done after an opposing player shows up your team with a needless slapshot to get an empty netter everyone would say "see the Leafs are a bunch of wimps and show no grit or emotion"
The league perception of the Leafs has nothing to do with MR's action, or the DOPS response.

IMO - the league dropped the hammer on MR because this wasn't a hockey play that went wrong. This was an act well after the play ended where a player hit another player in the head with his stick. IMO, if the same act occurs during play - it's probably a 1 game suspension or maybe 2.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The usual suspects for Toronto with zero emotion
Marner, Matthews, Tavares, Nylander
Surprise surprise

rielly the only one that seems pissed at losing, domi as well.
But those 4 are like “don’t do this” or were exchanging Super Bowl picks.

Reactions: Petrus

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Surprise surprise

But those 4 are like “don’t do this”.
Yup, same usual clowns showing zero emotion. At least I've seen some media ripping on them for it.

Reactions: swiftwin

RooBicks

Oct 12, 2020
LOL! They’re not going to drag him publicly, what did you expect them to say
These kind of comments kill me. Most of them thought it was hilarious, I assure you. I know I would have. You think Brady Tkachuk didn't love that shit? At worst, there were some vets rolling their eyes with a smile on their face.

And the reaction was EXACTLY what he - and they - were looking for. He drew Toronto's best defenseman into getting suspended for five games and most of the team - including the idiot coach apparently - will be incredibly distracted next time they meet. That was the point, and the Leafs took the bait, hook, line, and sinker. Like the bunch of talented but directionless amateurs that they've proven themselves to be, year after year. They couldn't point at the scoreboard, so they're pointing at "the code", despite the fact that the one who broke it was Rielly, not Griegg.

A loss all around for the Leafs, and they just keep digging...

Last edited:

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Yup, same usual clowns showing zero emotion. At least I've seen some media ripping on them for it.

It’s embarrassing

The media talked about when Florida lost to Toronto in whatever game it was, I think game 3 in the playoffs and Florida was like we have the extra man and one of the Florida players took a run at McCabe and Toronto just folded like a cheap suit at the aggression from Florida

And Florida went onto win the series after that.

Those 4 just don’t get it.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Surprise surprise

But those 4 are like “don’t do this” or were exchanging Super Bowl picks.

Yep, Steve Dangle was 100% right.

Matthews took a punch from Tarasenko and did nothing.
Nylander was like "sthaaaaaap".
Tavares hugged it out.
Marner was like "sweet, I don't have to pair up with anyone".

Had it been someone like Matthew Tkachuk instead of Marner, you know he's be in there double teaming someone, stirring shit, making his presence known.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
All false equivalencies. DOPS explained specifically why cross checks like these one are not the same as the Perron or Reilly cross check. Watch the video.

You mean the exact same factors they listed in the Chiasson suspension video?

You're right, I guess it should be one game, not zero.

Reactions: LivingRentFree

Ducer

Jan 20, 2021
These kind of comments kill me. Most of them thought it was hilarious, I assure you. I know I would have. At worst, there were some vets rolling their eyes with a smile on their face.

And the reaction was EXACTLY what he - and they - were looking for. He drew Toronto's best defenseman into getting suspended for five games and most of the team - including the idiot coach apparently - will be incredibly distracted next time they meet. That was the point, and the Leafs took the bait, hook, line, and sinker. Like the bunch of talented but directionless amateurs that they've proven themselves to be, year after year. They couldn't point at the scoreboard, so they're pointing at "the code", despite the fact that the one who broke it was Reilly, not Griegg. A loss all around for the Leafs, and they just keep digging...

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You mean the exact same factors they listed in the Chiasson suspension video?

You're right, I guess it should be one game, not zero.

No I mean the exact specifics why this cross check was not the same as the Chiasson one.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
LOL! They’re not going to drag him publicly, what did you expect them to say
I'm sure they loved it. This kind of thing happens in basketball all the time and fans love it, and so do their teammates. A slam dunk on an unguarded net at the end of a game. We need more of this in hockey. Especially since it's harmless.

"Hockey culture" is just an excuse to whine like a bunch of babies over stuff like this imo.

5 games seems perfect, NHL nailed it.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
It’s embarrassing

The media talked about when Florida lost to Toronto in whatever game it was, I think game 3 in the playoffs and Florida was like we have the extra man and one of the Florida players took a run at McCabe and Toronto just folded like a cheap suit at the aggression from Florida

And Florida went onto win the series after that.

Those 4 just don’t get it.
When NONE of them had a response to Knies getting mauled in the playoffs (a rookie with less than 20 games under his belt), it made me think if this doesnt get you fired up to defend a teammate then nothing ever will. Theyre a bunch of emotionless money suckers. You can bring in 50 different "locker room" guys and it won't change anything about them. Ultimately it has to come from themselves, and so far again it seems like they've learned nothing.

Leaf fans were just finally happy to see someone show a pulse after getting clowned on.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
It should've been a $2,000 fine or at most 2 games. Reilly has no history of violence or previous suspensions, I don't remember him being in a fight. The Leafs are considered to be a soft team by the rest of the league and if nothing was done after an opposing player shows up your team with a needless slapshot to get an empty netter everyone would say "see the Leafs are a bunch of wimps and show no grit or emotion", well I guess you can't say that now.
Do you really think spazzing out and cross checking a guy in the face shows the league the Leafs are now a tough team?

I actually think the opposite. Now it shows every other agitator in the league that all you have to do is slightly disrespect them and they lose their shit and possibly one of their better players to a long suspension. Very valuable come playoffs I may add .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad